inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Smoking among GenYers

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 4:43 am

You'd think by now smoking (cigarettes, that is) would see akin to inhaling tar or petrol directly from the bowser, but among teenagers and a lesser extent 20-somethings it doesn't show any signs of dying out, despite the seemingly endless ad campaigns. Yet it seems that actually MORE kids are smoking these days than even the 90s, while the percentage of the general population smoking has dropped. I know many girls who are obsessed with their weight, yet still smoke like chimneys; I wouldn't even consider many really addicted, they just do it cos their friends do...Peer pressure is still king, it seems. While not exactly 'the norm' or 'expected' these days, when, if ever, do you think those evil tar-sticks will finally disappear, or at least be replaced by something 'purer' (like legalising weed, no just kidding, or am I?). I think it's a habit as much typical of Generation Y as it was of Generation X.

Subject: Re: Smoking among GenYers

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/04/06 at 5:24 am

As much as you try to convince people that smoking is for losers, it still seems cool to a lot of people.  Especially those under 24.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 10:42 am

That's because smoking is said to decrease your appetite.  It's also a stimulant, which have been known to kick-start metabolism.  I'm sure the reason many of them don't stop is one of the side-effects of stopping is weight gain.

Are you serious? That's pretty a pretty la-ame reason...

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 10:54 am

Mr Brother started smoking when he was 12 and smoked for years.  He recently quit last year though (He's 25 now)

I agree that the reason people continue to smoke is because they are convinced of how Cool it is.  The majority of kids and teenagers aren't even aware that it's a "Stimulant" or that it helps "Weight Loss", they just pick up the Habit to try and fit in and look cool

I've never been a Smoker, although i've smoked cigarrettes a few times before and I simply don't like it.  Not to mention, when you inhale, it kind of hurts your throat and gives me an uncomfortable feeling in my throat.  It's basically the same as drinking Liquor, it feels like a Fireball is going down your throat

Another bad thing about Smoking is the Price.  If you're a smoker, you're going to wipe your wallet completely clean every week, and that's a bad thing.  You don't want to constantly be spending 5 bucks on a pack every 3 days (This is the main reason my Brother stopped)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 10:55 am

I think smoking is IDIOTIC.  Just my opinion.  I'd rather drink coffee if I want to be addicted to something.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 10:56 am

Mr Brother started smoking when he was 12 and smoked for years.  He recently quit last year though (He's 25 now)

I agree that the reason people continue to smoke is because they are convinced of how Cool it is.  The majority of kids and teenagers aren't even aware that it's a "Stimulant" or that it helps "Weight Loss", they just pick up the Habit to try and fit in and look cool

I've never been a Smoker, although i've smoked cigarrettes a few times before and I simply don't like it.  Not to mention, when you inhale, it kind of hurts your throat and gives me an uncomfortable feeling in my throat.  It's basically the same as drinking Liquor, it feels like a Fireball is going down your throat

Another bad thing about Smoking is the Price.  If you're a smoker, you're going to wipe your wallet completely clean every week, and that's a bad thing.  You don't want to constantly be spending 5 bucks on a pack every 3 days (This is the main reason my Brother stopped)

Yea I've smoked a few cigarettes before, but it didn't do anything for me, I honestly don't get the appeal.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 10:59 am

GenYers always seem so smug boasting how smart and aware they are about health issues.etc, yet ironically so many of them smoke. It's like, they go to the gym, follow diets, but have a pack of ciggies at the end of the day (well, ok the true health freaks won't smoke). It just seems so ironic to me. I know many who earn bout $400 only to literally blow it on booze, cigarettes, drugs whatever in a week. Sounds like a tremendous waste to me, but hey, if that's that's what they want.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:24 am

GenYers always seem so smug boasting how smart and aware they are about health issues.etc, yet ironically so many of them smoke. It's like, they go to the gym, follow diets, but have a pack of ciggies at the end of the day (well, ok the true health freaks won't smoke). It just seems so ironic to me. I know many who earn bout $400 only to literally blow it on booze, cigarettes, drugs whatever in a week. Sounds like a tremendous waste to me, but hey, if that's that's what they want.

I know what you mean.  Almost every Teenager these days are Smug and Arrogant.  Which is why I have a strong distatste for Human Beings in general (With some of you being the exception)  :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:36 am

I know what you mean.  Almost every Teenager these days are Smug and Arrogant.  Which is why I have a strong distatste for Human Beings in general (With some of you being the exception)  :D

Same, everday I got out I see living, breathing stereotypes with their head up their arses...thinking they know so much because they live in the modern 'information' era as opposed to the old fashioned 'dark ages.' It's like a recent ad, where this 10-year girl asked if her parents knew anything about drugs. Hello, they did live through the Flower Power generation! In some ways information overload makes you stupider and less selective with 'the truth.'

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:17 pm

The problem with us Gen Yers is that we know everything but don't care. Like if you press people as to why they smoke, constantly get drunk, do drugs, etc., they know the risks and will even admit them, but they still do them, because they (well, us) gravitate wildly between having no self-worth and having stratospheric self-worth. I would say about 10 out of the 110 kids in my class smokes, and like 25-30 out of 114 seniors. People are just very arrogant, like "Well, I'm not in touch with my corporeal being" is a common excuse. People still do it, essentially, to be cool, and it's been made even cooler by virtue of the establishment being so against it.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 2:52 pm

I smoked for about 4 years.

To be honest, I have no real idea why I did.

I guess just because everyone else did, I thought I should as well.

What it really started with, is whenever one wanted to roll a joint, one needed some tobacco and it was just easier to have a pack of cigarettes on hand.

Gradually just started smoking them as well  ;D

Was very easy to quit though.

Just one day had no money in my wallet and thought "Ya know, if I quit smoking, I'd save a lot of money." so I stopped.
Easy.

Written By: KKay on 05/04/06 at 2:58 pm

As much as you try to convince people that smoking is for losers, it still seems cool to a lot of people.  Especially those under 24.

well, it's bad for you.
i now think it makes people look silly.  i used to think it was cool.
(but i would not call them losers.  it was just a stupid thing they did)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:19 am

Here in Australia the government ad campaigns are getting more and more graphic. For instance, showing very graphic photographs on cigarette packets. What strategies are they using in other countries? It would be interesting to compare their approaches.

Written By: chaka on 05/05/06 at 8:59 am

There's this whole myth about smoking. I used to be really curious because people were going on about how bad it was and then you had the smokers who claimed it helps you relax.
I was 12 when I had my first cigarette and I did it out of curiosity. I used to smoke on my own but it never really helped me relax or anything so I just stopped.

Written By: Jason on 08/30/06 at 10:39 pm

Hello
I'm 19 and me and my friends smoke.  I guess we do it just to be "bad" although I think I am actually a pretty nice kid.  3 years ago when I was 16  I started wearing a visor backwards and upside down (I don't do the visor thing now, but I wear my hat backwards), I guess because I want to wear it the "wrong" way...this is when we started to smoke, and we did it to be "wrong" just like how we dress.  One of my friends was trying to quit because his girlfriend wanted him to stop, and he found that he was severely addicted.  I know smoking is bad and all the older people I know were shocked when they seen me smoke.  I feel bad that I disappointed my parents and family.  This summer I was a lifeguard at a water park, my boss thought I was a very good employee  but when he caught me smoking on my break that changed, he was very disappointed.  I know most of my friends wish they never started smoking.
Jason

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/31/06 at 1:29 am

<-----------------I'm a dick.   :o :o :o

Written By: Tam on 08/31/06 at 1:32 am

<-----------------I'm a dick.   :o :o :o

Guess I'm one too!!!! :o 8)

Written By: Gis on 08/31/06 at 3:05 am

I'm a zealous born again non-smoker!

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 8:36 am

I think it's interesting that at the beginning of the thread there were comments made to how ...wait...
GenYers always seem so smug boasting how smart and aware they are about health issues.etc, yet ironically so many of them smoke..

i have never known anyone in the generations after mine to be smug aobut being hip to health issues.  I think they take more risks- are more daring, are influenced by more violence, and are less threatened by health risks than kids in other decades.  I just am wondering who these young health nuts are?  please tell me more.

..unless you're talking about granola eating hippie types. then i get it.

Written By: La Roche on 08/31/06 at 10:25 am

Aware of health risks?

I would say my Generation drinks more, smokes more and is generally far more unhealthy than any other preceding generation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/06 at 12:00 pm

My sister started smoking when she was 13, quit several times through the years, but she's still a light smoker at the age of 38.  She and her husband step outside to smoke, and try to hide it from my niece.  She knows!  Anyway, I figure as long as my sister smokes, I can cancel any comments she makes about my junkfood habits!  Sorry, I don't take diet tips from cigarette smokers.
;D

The scary thing is the amount by which the tobacco companies have jacked up the nicotine levels in the past decade.  It's most pronounced in brands marketed towards kids* and African-Americans.

*Yeah, they got rid of Joe Camel, but the youth marketing schemes are still there.  Since American society is ever more intolerant of smoking, the tobacco companies have taken aim at the huge markets overseas.  Europeans still smoke fiendishly.  There's also places such as India and China where there's a limitless market for youth smokers.  Gotta get 'em hooked when they're young, so keep ladeling on the nicotine!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

Written By: Tam on 08/31/06 at 12:22 pm

It's most pronounced in brands marketed towards kids* ....

*Yeah, they got rid of Joe Camel, but the youth marketing schemes are still there.  Since American society is ever more intolerant of smoking, the tobacco companies have taken aim at the huge markets overseas.  Europeans still smoke fiendishly.  There's also places such as India and China where there's a limitless market for youth smokers.  Gotta get 'em hooked when they're young, so keep ladeling on the nicotine!

Seems you have seen the "WHADDAFXUP" commercials too! ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/06 at 7:25 pm

Well I'm a borderline Gen Yer and I never had the slightest interest in smoking - I always thought it was sorta gross. Although almost everyone I know does it, I'm pretty easygoing about it, I just never had any interest in doing it myself.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/31/06 at 7:38 pm

Smoking is disgusting.  Both my parents do and I make a habit of getting up and leaving the room when they light up.  I've even taken my dinner plate into another room when they do it at the dinner table.  I have zero interest to partake in an activity that makes you smell like that.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/31/06 at 9:41 pm

Never liked smoking, I just don't see the point of it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/06 at 10:25 pm

Never liked smoking, I just don't see the point of it.

I agree. As far as my views on other people smoking: again, I'm cool with it if people do it because they personally enjoy it. But I've always thought it was stupid to do something just because it "looks cool" or 'cause others are doing it.

I can see being influenced by what people around you are wearing, or music they're listening to (I have been too), but not something that can kill you. Especially if it's not something you'd have done on your own.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/01/06 at 1:11 am

--

Check for new replies or respond here...