inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: i am so sick of EVERYTHING in this world today!!!

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/04/06 at 10:04 am

like, oh my god.  it's too much to handle.  can somebody tell me if things are going to get better??

Subject: Re: i am so sick of EVERYTHING in this world today!!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 10:48 am

What exactly do you mean?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 10:55 am

like, oh my god.  it's too much to handle.  can somebody tell me if things are going to get better??

I Agree Completely, although I refuse to discuss my problems, but I feel the same

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/04/06 at 11:56 am

things are just too crazy - too fast-paced - too busy.  between work and running errands and cell phones ringing and overpopulation and waiting in lines and waiting at red lights and gas prices and war and conflict...  i want a break from everything - some peace and quiet.  just a few days... is that too much to ask?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:59 am

things are just too crazy - too fast-paced - too busy.  between work and running errands and cell phones ringing and overpopulation and waiting in lines and waiting at red lights and gas prices and war and conflict...  i want a break from everything - some peace and quiet.  just a few days... is that too much to ask?

I know how you feel. I sometimes feel I need a sea change too...I think the modern world has just over-complicated life so much. Too many decisions to make, wish I had a robot to decide for me.

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 12:14 pm

don't forget runaway gas prices, proliferation of WMDs to rogue states, the looming menace of a flu pandemic, the rising rate of earthquakes along the san andreas fault, global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, the AIDS epidemic, the unavailability of health care in america, the rise of reactionary and isolationist politics and the warfare state and the concomitant degradation of social and civil infrastructure in the US, not to mention the loss of civil rights and liberties.

oh, yes, and rampant government surveillance in the UK, the rise of militant religious extremism on all sides, the looming threat of inflation, and, um... um...

well, i can't think of any more, actually. doesn't seem that bad, in fact.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 12:25 pm

don't forget runaway gas prices, proliferation of WMDs to rogue states, the looming menace of a flu pandemic, the rising rate of earthquakes along the san andreas fault, global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, the AIDS epidemic, the unavailability of health care in america, the rise of reactionary and isolationist politics and the warfare state and the concomitant degradation of social and civil infrastructure in the US, not to mention the loss of civil rights and liberties.

oh, yes, and rampant government surveillance in the UK, the rise of militant religious extremism on all sides, the looming threat of inflation, and, um... um...

well, i can't think of any more, actually. doesn't seem that bad, in fact.

Heavens Gate anybody?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 12:29 pm

Probably not, but...

Well, these things can be helped.

Run all of your errands on one trip. Saves gas and time over multiple short trips. Pay bills on-line if you can, or get direct deposit and automatic deductions (mixed feelings about that, but it does save time).

Giving your car a tune up and making sure the tires are inflated to the correct pressures can increase gas mileage substantially in most any car over 5 years old.

If you are referring to other peoples' cell phones, not much I can do there. I personally don't carry one, and probably never will. The idea that anyone can reach me anywhere, anytime is a bit ridiculous. I was in a public restroom the other day, and heard one go off in the stall next to me (with the supidest f***ing ring tone). The guy answers the phone and proceeds to have what sounded like a business conversation while pinching off a loaf. WTF? Sorry, but if a job requires *that* kind of dedication, no thanks. I'm not so important that I need to be on call 24/7 for the world, and neither are 99% of other people who carry cell phones.

Waiting in lines and at red lights can be reduced by doing things at non-peak hours and as mentioned above. If you go to a major grocery around here from 3-7 pm, you're going to burn an hour of time waiting at the checkout. At 11pm, it is deserted. Guess when I shop?

As for war, conflict, and overpopulation, you read the news too much. Every time someone gets blown up by a roadside bomb, the news reports it. Every little move some country makes that the US isn't allies with, we hear about it. There isn't a hell of a lot you can do about these things, and therefore they aren't worth worrying about IMO.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 12:32 pm

Run all of your errands on one trip. Saves gas and time over multiple short trips. Pay bills on-line if you can, or get direct deposit and automatic deductions (mixed feelings about that, but it does save time).

Giving your car a tune up and making sure the tires are inflated to the correct pressures can increase gas mileage substantially in most any car over 5 years old.

If you are referring to other peoples' cell phones, not much I can do there. I personally don't carry one, and probably never will. The idea that anyone can reach me anywhere, anytime is a bit ridiculous. I was in a public restroom the other day, and heard one go off in the stall next to me (with the supidest f***ing ring tone). The guy answers the phone and proceeds to have what sounded like a business conversation while pinching off a loaf. WTF? Sorry, but if a job requires *that* kind of dedication, no thanks. I'm not so important that I need to be on call 24/7 for the world, and neither are 99% of other people who carry cell phones.

Waiting in lines and at red lights can be reduced by doing things at non-peak hours and as mentioned above. If you go to a major grocery around here from 3-7 pm, you're going to burn an hour of time waiting at the checkout. At 11pm, it is deserted. Guess when I shop?

As for war, conflict, and overpopulation, you read the news too much. Every time someone gets blown up by a roadside bomb, the news reports it. Every little move some country makes that the US isn't allies with, we hear about it. There isn't a hell of a lot you can do about these things, and therefore they aren't worth worrying about IMO.

Good points.

I try and do everything at once, just makes sense, saves Gas, time and money.

You have 24 grocery stores right?
When I wake at up 5am, guess where I go  ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 12:38 pm

Good points.

I try and do everything at once, just makes sense, saves Gas, time and money.

You have 24 grocery stores right?
When I wake at up 5am, guess where I go  ;D

We used to, but now they close at midnight.

I don't worry about the "big" stuff. It's the little things that make life easier anyway, like making sure there is TP when you sit down to do your business - not having TP at that moment is far more upsetting to me than if my friends might think I'm uncool because I don't have the latest cameraphone with text messaging, internet connection that also works as a pop-up toaster and collapseable fishing rod.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 12:40 pm

We used to, but now they close at midnight.

I don't worry about the "big" stuff. It's the little things that make life easier anyway, like making sure there is TP when you sit down to do your business - not having TP at that moment is far more upsetting to me than if my friends might think I'm uncool because I don't have the latest cameraphone with text messaging, internet connection that also works as a pop-up toaster and collapseable fishing rod.

HAHA!

I must admit, I own two cell phones.

One personal one and then one for business like dealings.

But! I am capable of turning them off.

Having to spread your legs and waddle to the closet, is possibly, the most unpleasent feeling possible.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 12:54 pm

HAHA!

I must admit, I own two cell phones.

One personal one and then one for business like dealings.

But!  I am capable of turning them off.

Thank you. Most people aren't. Especially in movie theatres.  ::)

One guy did use his to make popcorn for me once, so they aren't all bad.  ;D

Having to spread your legs and waddle to the closet, is possibly, the most unpleasent feeling possible.

Exactly. That is far more distressing to me personally than say an earthquake in some remote part of the world that injures a few people. Besides, earthquakes aren't preventable, running out of TP is.

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 1:08 pm

Thank you. Most people aren't. Especially in movie theatres.  ::)

One guy did use his to make popcorn for me once, so they aren't all bad.  ;D

Exactly. That is far more distressing to me personally than say an earthquake in some remote part of the world that injures a few people. Besides, earthquakes aren't preventable, running out of TP is.

His only made popcorn, he needs to upgrade, I fondue with mine.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 1:15 pm

I forgot to mention his shucked the corn from the cob, dried the kernels, popped them, and also had a butter and salt dispenser. And his phone was only 2 inches square!

Of course, he had to sell his million dollar mansion to buy it, but he is the coolest homeless guy in the world.  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 1:19 pm

I forgot to mention his shucked the corn from the cob, dried the kernels, popped them, and also had a butter and salt dispenser. And his phone was only 2 inches square!

Of course, he had to sell his million dollar mansion to buy it, but he is the coolest homeless guy in the world.  ;)

It didn't plan the corn and harvest it? Tsk tsk tsk, so behind the curve.

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 1:24 pm

did you know cellphones give you tumors?

anybody old enough to remember microwave ovens? back in the glorious 70s when microwaves first hit the market there was this big flap over whether microwaves irradiating your food was safe, it was debated for a few years, and then people stopped talking about it without the issue ever really being resolved. then suddenly in the decades since there's been this coincidental spike in bowel cancer, which i'm sure is coincidental.

your cell phone and your microwave are competing over who can kill you first, is my point.

anyone ever see "hemo the magnificent"? the human body is a delicate balance of thousands of intricate processes which must operate in perfect synchronism in order to sustain life. that is, your life is hanging by a delicate thread, an immeasurably improbable balance of bodily processes that, at any moment, could spontaneously be disrupted, leading to your death!

there. more stuff to worry about.

also, no one's really doing anything about the possibility of ecology-altering asteroid strikes. we're overdue for one, you know.

Written By: KKay on 05/04/06 at 1:52 pm

I saw so many sad things yesterday
things I could do nothing about.

I hate that.
I need some superpowers.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/06 at 1:59 pm

It didn't plan the corn and harvest it? Tsk tsk tsk, so behind the curve.

The 2000 acres of farmland, combines, help, seed, storage and processing facilities were in his iPod.

Actually, that's a lie. His iPod replicated the corn, the cell phone did the rest.

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 2:18 pm

dag. here's something else you could worry about: you could go on a hilarious, fun-loving bender with a bunch of hungarians only to discover at the end of it that you were a disgusting, filthy, perverted CANNIBAL!

http://www.retrocrush.com/forum/index.php?topic=5562.0

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 2:48 pm

The 2000 acres of farmland, combines, help, seed, storage and processing facilities were in his iPod.

Actually, that's a lie. His iPod replicated the corn, the cell phone did the rest.

Ok, I'm glad to see he's at least with the rest of us.

That reminds me, better put my headphones in, they're set to give me an MRI.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/05/06 at 12:53 am

did you know cellphones give you tumors?

anybody old enough to remember microwave ovens? back in the glorious 70s when microwaves first hit the market there was this big flap over whether microwaves irradiating your food was safe, it was debated for a few years, and then people stopped talking about it without the issue ever really being resolved. then suddenly in the decades since there's been this coincidental spike in bowel cancer, which i'm sure is coincidental.

your cell phone and your microwave are competing over who can kill you first, is my point.

anyone ever see "hemo the magnificent"? the human body is a delicate balance of thousands of intricate processes which must operate in perfect synchronism in order to sustain life. that is, your life is hanging by a delicate thread, an immeasurably improbable balance of bodily processes that, at any moment, could spontaneously be disrupted, leading to your death!

there. more stuff to worry about.

also, no one's really doing anything about the possibility of ecology-altering asteroid strikes. we're overdue for one, you know.

Wow, Tia, That was some deep stuff. But, I've always thought of the body that way, too. I always have thought that some odd chemical thing happened to us humans during our making (or evulution, however you veiw it) and at anytime that can be disrupted.

My teacher told us she saw this exhibit where people donated their bodies to this scientific project. What they did was practically strip these dead bodies and put some weird plastic like chemical over them to preserve them as is so we could see the insides of them at a museum exhibit. She said she saw a man's lung which looked like someone had smoked for 50 years but it was just from all the smog he inhaled while living in L.A.

Very interesting stuff she mentioned, but it only made me realise of how delicate we really are.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:34 am

We are just not biologically and psiologically designed for the modern world, with its information/impulse overload. Soon, we'll be a dying breed in a jungle full of beeping computers, and bots with glaring red eyes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/08 at 2:26 am

No chance of things getting better now.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/08 at 8:46 am

I felt things weren't right for the past 9 or 10 years. There was a stability and peace about the world pre-millenium era. I think the world needs a change, now! Thank you, whoever for posting what I wanted to say out loud!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/08 at 9:20 am

I felt things weren't right for the past 9 or 10 years. There was a stability and peace about the world pre-millenium era. I think the world needs a change, now! Thank you, whoever for posting what I wanted to say out loud!
I would say that the change has started.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/08 at 9:25 am

Awesome!  I want one of those.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/14/08 at 9:35 am

It's so surprising to see this thread.  I missed it the first time it came around.  What makes it so surprising is to see other people feel the same way I do.

I'm so sick of gadgets and bad news.  I am not a deep thinker (only on occasion do I get contemplative as I tend to get lost in my thoughts and it's terribly depressing).

I resisted getting a cell phone and still haven't an mp3 player (perhaps I should start my own "send me money for an Ipod" thread.  ;D 

I am behind the times on alot of stuff, but funnily enough, I'm considered brilliant by my mom and dad (just because I know how to get on the internet!  ;D )

I could relate to that Twilight Zone episode "Time enough at last" but it certainally scares me that that is how it'll all end up with our "progress", but perhaps not, it's always been said that the world will go out with a whimper instead of a bang.  Perhaps that flu pandemic of some sort?  I could see that happening too.

It's enough to make a girl wanna go hide with her cats.  ;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/15/08 at 6:17 am

I also get dizzy thinking about all the technology we depend on these days. It does get overwhemling. When I was a teenager I would sit and think for hours about the cons of nuclear power,the cold war. I was very reluctant to get a microwave, because of the radiation. I do not like to use cell phones, My hubby has one but I don't want one. Call me paraniod, or insane. But if we all got a little closer to the earth and back to nature, the planet and the people would be so much better.
Now on the other side of the coin, modern technology saved my life, I have had a triplke bypass and have a pacemaker/defibrillator. And folks I am only 53 yrs old.

When I was in  my late teens early 20s, I wanted to live in the mountains in a totally self sustaining commune. Instead I got married at 21 to someone who worked for IBM. We lived in the mountains, kinda ironic huh?

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/08 at 2:02 am

I was very reluctant to get a microwave, because of the radiation. I do not like to use cell phones

For anyone who's ever worried about microwaves or cell phones, please take a moment to understand the difference between ionizing radiation and non-ionizing radiation.

The radio you listen to, the microwaves that heat the water in your food, the visible light that comes from the sun and from your monitor, the ultraviolet rays that give you sunburn, and yes, the X-rays that show your broken bones, and the gamma rays from imploding stars halfway across the universe... are all the same phenomenon.  (alpha and beta particles, which get thrown off various radioactive substances, aren't electromagnetic phenomena.  gamma "rays", by contrast, are a form of electromagnetic radiation.  I'm too inebriated to link 'em all to wikipedia, but y'all are smart enough to figure it out.)

To grossly oversimplify, anything with lower energy per photon than visible light cannot give you cancer, because it cannot knock electrons off the atoms in the molecules that make up the DNA in your cells, and therefore cannot produce chemical changes that last more than one generation of cells. 

If you defeat the safety interlocks (which I recommend against) and expose yourself to a 1000-watt microwave oven (which I really recommend against), you can make a one-generation change to your cells called "cooking", but that only lasts one generation.  On the upside, after you go to the hospital and have the cooked appendage removed, at least you won't have cancer.

Your cell phone operates at less than a watt.  You're no more likely to get cancer from a cell phone than you are from shining a flashlight at your head.  Lay around on the beach for a few days and soak up a tan from the small portion of the sun's energy that's emitted in the ultraviolet?  Now we're talking.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/16/08 at 3:00 am

We're all gonna die.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/08 at 3:38 am

We're all gonna die.
For some of us, it is nearer than others.

Written By: Paul on 10/16/08 at 6:59 am

There was a stability and peace about the world pre-millenium era.

Never mind the pre-millennium era, here's been no peace and stability in this world ever since homo sapiens arrived on the scene!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/08 at 7:30 am

Never mind the pre-millennium era, here's been no peace and stability in this world ever since homo sapiens arrived on the scene!
Arrived on the scene, evolved?

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/16/08 at 10:48 am

For some of us, it is nearer than others.

Phil, that was uplifting....Thanks for the reminder now I gotta dye my hair ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/08 at 9:32 pm

We're all new here, aren't we...

Seriously, by that standard, there's been no peace and stability since the first self-replicating molecules of RNA some 3,500,000,000 years ago, plus or minus a few hundred million years.  If it's peace and stability you're after, just about anywhere else in the solar system is an improvement.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/18/08 at 5:02 pm

Phil, that was uplifting....Thanks for the reminder now I gotta dye my hair ;D
My hair is developing a natural dye.

Check for new replies or respond here...