inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rihanna's "SOS" tops the Billboard Hot 100

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 10:24 am

After a huge jump from no. 34 to no. 1., Rihanna has her first no.1 hit in the USA.

http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Singles&f=The+Billboard+Hot+100

Current hot 100 top 10:

1. SOS- Rihanna
2. Bad Day- Daniel Powter
3. Temperature- Sean Paul
4. Ridin'- Chamillionaire
5. What You Know- T.I.
6. What's Left of Me- Nick Lachey
7. Ms. New Booty- Bubba Sparxxx
8. Unwritten- Natasha Bedingfield
9. Dani California- Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. You're Beautiful- James Blunt

Subject: Re: Rihanna's "SOS" tops the Billboard Hot 100

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 10:31 am

I noticed that too, I went to look at the Billboard Hot 100 and noticed the big jump.  It happens ocassionally though, i've seen bigger jumps.  Some songs have actually Debuted at #1 after not even being on the chart at all.  Of course that only happened in the '90s and doesen't happen at all any more

The funny thing is, I don't even listen to today's music, so I have no clue what these songs even are, although I think i've heard this "SOS" song, isn't it the one that samples "Tainted Love"?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 10:35 am

I noticed that too, I went to look at the Billboard Hot 100 and noticed the big jump.  It happens ocassionally though, i've seen bigger jumps.  Some songs have actually Debuted at #1 after not even being on the chart at all.  Of course that only happened in the '90s and doesen't happen at all any more

The funny thing is, I don't even listen to today's music, so I have no clue what these songs even are, although I think i've heard this "SOS" song, isn't it the one that samples "Tainted Love"?

Yea that's the one. It jumped so much because of massive digital downloads, because a lot of people were wanting this song and have been downloading it like crazy on iTunes since it came out on April 25th.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 10:58 am

Huh.  Rihanna was kind of a slow success.

I think "If It's Lovin' That You Want" was her best, but the "I can be your homie" part is really grating  :P

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:01 am

Huh.  Rihanna was kind of a slow success.

I think "If It's Lovin' That You Want" was her best, but the "I can be your homie" part is really grating  :P

Pon de Replay is awesome, it was the big hit last summer, didn't quite make no. 1 though, I think it hit no. 2. The "If Its lovin that you want" song is alright as well. SOS is pretty cool too.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:07 am

Pon de Replay is awesome, it was the big hit last summer, didn't quite make no. 1 though, I think it hit no. 2. The "If Its lovin that you want" song is alright as well. SOS is pretty cool too.

I actually didn't like "Pon de Replay" that much.  I thought the beat was kind of minimal and the vocals pretty stupid.  The singing was good though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:13 am

Bubba Sparxxx is up to 7, pretty pathetic. Other than that Ms. New Booty crap, I at least semi-like most of the top 10. Nice to see the Chili Peppers with another week in the top 10.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:15 am

Bubba Sparxxx is up to 7, pretty pathetic. Other than that Ms. New Booty crap, I at least semi-like most of the top 10. Nice to see the Chili Peppers with another week in the top 10.

Yeah, that 'California' song sounds promising (aren't all there songs about California, or drugs or something? They're like the New Beach Boys), a double album sounds very ambitious.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:22 am

Yeah, that 'California' song sounds promising (aren't all there songs about California, or drugs or something? They're like the New Beach Boys), a double album sounds very ambitious.

Yeah, and they are quite annoying.  I can't stand songs about California, because they all reek of arrogance and self absorbance.  Just be glad that you're from Austrailia and don't have to put up with it on a daily basis  ;D

Anyway, I think each and every song on that Top 10 is horrible.  It's full of crap

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:25 am

Yeah, and they are quite annoying.  I can't stand songs about California, because they all reek of arrogance and self absorbance.  Just be glad that you're from Austrailia and don't have to put up with it on a daily basis  ;D

Anyway, I think each and every song on that Top 10 is horrible.  It's full of crap

I'm not really a fan of that Bad Day song either, but it's not extremely terrible. I do like the James Blunt song though. Natash Bedingfield is alright too.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:26 am

I have not heard a single one of them - except snippets of that 'SOS' - that's how much I listen to mainstream radio. Yeah, the whole California worship thing does get kind of annoying. 'The sun may rise in the east but at least it sets in a better location.' California's a cool place, but it ain't the centre of the World.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:27 am

I'm not really a fan of that Bad Day song either, but it's not extremely terrible. I do like the James Blunt song though. Natash Bedingfield is alright too.

Hang on, but how long have those songs been in the chart? Over a year at least  ::).

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:28 am

Hang on, but how long have those songs been in the chart? Over a year at least  ::).

Not in the US, they were out last year in Europe and Australia. Came out late '05, early '06 in the US.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:29 am

As a native Californian, Mirror >:( ...

I couldn't agree any more  ;D  :)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:31 am

I have not heard a single one of them - except snippets of that 'SOS' - that's how much I listen to mainstream radio. Yeah, the whole California worship thing does get kind of annoying. 'The sun may rise in the east but at least it sets in a better location.' California's a cool place, but it ain't the centre of the World.

I Agree completely.  And it gets worse and worse each year. All teenagers these days are Brainwashed by television and radio into thinking California is the only place on earth. Especially with shows like "The OC" and "Laguna Beach" which, in my opinion, is Crap

Hopefully America wakes up from this Arrogance Trip eventually and realizes that every state is equally cool  :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:31 am

I'm surprised nobody likes the Chili Peppers, I think they have some great songs, oh well.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:32 am

I Agree completely.  And it gets worse and worse each year. All teenagers these days are Brainwashed by television and radio into thinking California is the only place on earth. Especially with shows like "The OC" and "Laguna Beach" which, in my opinion, is Crap

Hopefully America wakes up from this Arrogance Trip eventually and realizes that every state is equally cool  :)

Yea I don't watch that OC type crap, never cared much for it.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 11:32 am

I knew this song would eventually hit #1

Currently, it's at #2 in both the UK and Canada charts.

In the UK, Crazy by Gnarls Barkley has the current #1 and in Canada, it's Savin' Me by Nickelback at #1

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:33 am

I'm surprised nobody likes the Chili Peppers, I think they have some great songs, oh well.

Meh, the only song from them that I even remotely like is "Give It Away"

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:33 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:34 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:34 am

Even Iowa? Pancake flat corn fields, dead straight grid-lock roads, and a thousand towns that look exactly the same.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:36 am

Even Iowa? Pancake flat corn fields, dead straight grid-lock roads, and a thousand towns that look exactly the same.

Yes.  See, you've even been brainwashed into thinking that "Cool" is only Beaches and Sunrise

This is exactly why people continue to be so arrogant, because this is hammered into their head so much

Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Texas, Oregon.  Every state and country in the world is Cool.  We need to stop being so Pompous and thinking that one individual place is Better or Cooler than another.  This, I believe, is why America is hated by other countries

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:41 am

Yes.  See, you've even been brainwashed into thinking that "Cool" is only Beaches and Sunrise

This is exactly why people continue to be so arrogant, because this is hammered into their head so much

Iowa, Louisiana, Maine, Michigan, Texas, Oregon.  Every state and country in the world is Cool.  We need to stop being so Pompous and thinking that one individual place is Better or Cooler than another.  This, I believe, is why America is hated by other countries

We get enough beaches and sunrise here 'Downunder'. No, I'm not saying some places are 'better' than others just because they are hotbeds of 'fashionability', just that some areas are just more boring than others. Case in point.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:45 am

We get enough beaches and sunrise here 'Downunder'. No, I'm not saying some places are 'better' than others just because they are hotbeds of 'fashionability', just that some areas are just more boring than others. Case in point.

Whether that be true or not, it annoys me.  I don't see how one state can be more "Boring" than another.  Every state has Arcades, Movie Theaters, Restaurants, Clubs, Hang Out Spots.  I guess I just don't understand the definition of "Boring"

I guess I just have a strong dislike for Arrogance and Smugness.  Which stems from people who think they live in "Hot Spots" and love to brag about it  ::)

I hate getting into this conversation, so i'm just going to end it, on my part atleast  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:47 am

I guess I just have a strong dislike for Arrogance and Smugness. 

Which explains your hate for Kobe?  ;D

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:48 am

Which explains your hate for Kobe?  ;D

Bingo.  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:50 am

Bingo.  ;)

You don't actually he he's a rapist, though do you?  I think he's innocent of that, but he's still a jerk anyway.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:51 am

You don't actually he he's a rapist, though do you?  I think he's innocent of that, but he's still a jerk anyway.

Yeah I can't stand him either. LeBron is better.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 11:52 am

Yea.  I'm not crazy about Shaq either.  LeBron and Yao are much cooler.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:52 am

I Agree Completely

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 11:57 am

Yea.  I'm not crazy about Shaq either.  LeBron and Yao are much cooler.

Can't believe how long Shaq's been around...he was my idol back in 1994 when he was still with the Orlando Magic!!!

Written By: nally on 05/04/06 at 11:58 am

As a matter of fact, yes!

On a side note, I kinda like it; it seems catchy to me. On the other hand, it does tend to get STUCK in my head for long periods of time.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 11:59 am

Can't believe how long Shaq's been around...he was my idol back in 1994 when he was still with the Orlando Magic!!!

#1 Pick in the 1992 Draft  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 11:59 am

As a matter of fact, yes!

On a side note, I kinda like it; it seems catchy to me. On the other hand, it does tend to get STUCK in my head for long periods of time.

Same with me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 12:05 pm

#1 Pick in the 1992 Draft  ;)

Did you remember how huge basketball was in the early-mid 90s, before it seemed to die down in popularity?

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 12:10 pm

Did you remember how huge basketball was in the early-mid 90s, before it seemed to die down in popularity?

When I was a kid in the Early and Mid '90s, all I ever watched was Michael Jordan.  That's why it was so popular at the time.  Plus, the number of Superstars back in the day

I eventually came to hate the Bulls in 1998 and shifted to being a huge Reggie Miller/Pacers fan.  Now a days, I'm getting sick and tired of the NBA, everything seems to revolve around Kobe.  It's Kobe this, Kobe that.  It's sickening that this guy is the face of the NBA  :-[

I'm simply getting fed up with sports in general.  They were fun back in the day, but now it's getting annoying and superstars are getting more and more arrogant and greedy

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/04/06 at 12:11 pm

It seemed that when I lived in California in the mid-to-late '90s basketball was more popular.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 12:15 pm

Yea basketball was much bigger then with Michael Jordan and the Bulls dominating. Basketball took a big dip after Jordan left the league the 2nd time, remember the first he left was to play baseball, lol.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 12:17 pm

Yea basketball was much bigger then with Michael Jordan and the Bulls dominating. Basketball took a big dip after Jordan left the league the 2nd time, remember the first he left was to play baseball, lol.

Yeah, he first retired after the 1993 season because his father was murdered.  So he tried to honor his father by playing the sport that his father always wanted him to play, Baseball

Of course, he wasn't so good at that at all and the NBA really sucked in that year and a half he was gone

Finally he returned in March 1995 and things got back on track

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/04/06 at 12:25 pm

I remember the period when the Houston Rockets were dominating - I think they won three straight in a row. I was a Chicago Bulls/Orlando Magic fan back then.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 12:31 pm

I remember the period when the Houston Rockets were dominating - I think they won three straight in a row. I was a Chicago Bulls/Orlando Magic fan back then.

Actually, it was only two in a row that Houston won

These were the winners of each NBA Championship during the '90s

1990 - Pistons
1991 - Bulls
1992 - Bulls
1993 - Bulls
1994 - Rockets
1995 - Rockets
1996 - Bulls
1997 - Bulls
1998 - Bulls
1999 - Spurs

The Rockets only managed to win when Jordan was gone (With the exception of 1995 when Jordan was back with the Bulls in the playoffs, but lost to the Magic)

Written By: Blue Ant on 05/04/06 at 12:34 pm

Excuse me, but isn't this thread supposed to be about Rihana's hit single "SOS", as implied in the title? Why are you going off topic and making the thread take on a strange life of its own?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 12:34 pm

Excuse me, but isn't this thread supposed to be about Rihana's hit single "SOS", as implied in the title? Why are you going off topic and making the thread take on a strange life of its own?

Are you that Ellipsis guy?  ::)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 12:44 pm

Well, atleast let me get in one last Basketball reference.  Just a funny picture I thought I would share with everyone.  Kobe reveals his true identity

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/bdubb98/kobecook.jpg

Ok, I'm Done  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 12:45 pm

Well, atleast let me get in one last Basketball reference.  Just a funny picture I thought I would share with everyone.  Kobe reveals his true identity

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/bdubb98/kobecook.jpg

Ok, I'm Done  ;)

LOL.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 1:19 pm

Rihanna's new song "Unfaithful" is also really good, that one is a much slower ballad type song.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, Rihanna's pretty good. I've noticed how big "S.O.S." has been getting...another sign of reggaeton/dancehall and new wave-revival getting even stronger! She's part of the group of artists who came after Beyonce to "follow her" in some ways, much like Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, etc. followed Madonna in a way.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/04/06 at 4:59 pm

What I wonder is how many people in the younger generation know that this song samples Tainted Love.  I actually wonder this with every song that blatantly samples some song from twenty or so years ago.  One time in class, the teacher was playing music and Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train came on.  One girl immediately thought it was that one Rap song that sampled it (the one with Trick Daddy, Twista, etc.) and was surprised to find out it was actual song.  I also know a girl at school who doesn't know who Van Halen or Led Zeppelin are.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 5:06 pm

What I wonder is how many people in the younger generation know that this song samples Tainted Love.  I actually wonder this with every song that blatantly samples some song from twenty or so years ago.  One time in class, the teacher was playing music and Ozzy Osbourne's Crazy Train came on.  One girl immediately thought it was that one Rap song that sampled it (the one with Trick Daddy, Twista, etc.) and was surprised to find out it was actual song.  I also know a girl at school who doesn't know who Van Halen or Led Zeppelin are.

Oh yea that's Let's Go.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 5:32 pm

I must say I love this song.  It is super infectious and I listen to it a lot.  :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 5:33 pm

I was born in '82, so I don't know if you consider me part of the "younger generation", but I have Tainted Love by Soft Cell and knew the sample the minute I heard Rihanna's song. 

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 5:35 pm

Well, I'm almost 20 Years Old.  Obviously I know the song "Tainted Love", and i'm sure a good deal of other 20 year olds do as well

It's not like i'm some 12 year old

Written By: Blue Ant on 05/04/06 at 5:55 pm

Are you that Ellipsis guy?  ::)

no.

I know who he is, but I have never met him. I've seen comments from him on amiright.com parodies. I also make comments on those parodies.

Back on topic...with regards to the "SOS" song; I do not entirely care for it, but it's okay to listen to.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/04/06 at 6:04 pm

I really like this song... I love the Soft Cell sample! :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/04/06 at 6:33 pm

I know that it's a Soft Cell sample and I'm 16...actually, "Tainted Love" was my favorite song when I was 12 or so (from an '80s compilation, '80s nostalgia was just coming back in and my affection for them was shared with the Cure and Joy Division in 7th grade.)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 6:54 pm

I just listened to the complete song and I kinda like it.  The Beat is very catchy and contagious

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 6:56 pm

I just listened to the complete song and I kinda like it.  The Beat is very catchy and contagious

Yea it can really get stuck in your head, lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 9:04 am

I know that it's a Soft Cell sample and I'm 16...actually, "Tainted Love" was my favorite song when I was 12 or so (from an '80s compilation, '80s nostalgia was just coming back in and my affection for them was shared with the Cure and Joy Division in 7th grade.)

Teenybopper  ;)

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 1:27 pm

Which is why I like it. :)

I was almost two years old when Softcell's rendition of "Tainted Love" came out, although I don't remember hearing it until at least ten years thereafter.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/05/06 at 1:33 pm

I was almost two years ago when Softcell's rendition of "Tainted Love" came out, although I don't remember hearing it until at least ten years thereafter.

I honestly just heard of Tainted Love while reading about S.O.S. on wikipedia earlier this year, lol.  ;D

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 1:50 pm

I honestly just heard of Tainted Love while reading about S.O.S. on wikipedia earlier this year, lol.  ;D

That surprises me.  "Tainted Love" is arguably the Most Recognizable One-Hit Wonder ever

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/05/06 at 1:51 pm

That surprises me.  "Tainted Love" is arguably the Most Recognizable One-Hit Wonder ever

Possibly may have heard it before, but I don't know '80s music all that well so I don't know.

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 1:55 pm

Possibly may have heard it before, but I don't know '80s music all that well so I don't know.

I used to not know a great deal about 80's music either...until the mid-90's.

Actually, I don't think that the band Softcell was a one hit wonder. I know they had at least one other hit.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 1:56 pm

I was almost two years ago when Softcell's rendition of "Tainted Love" came out, although I don't remember hearing it until at least ten years thereafter.

I just looked it up and "Tainted Love" got as high as #8 on Billboard's Hot 100 on July 17th, 1982.  I'm surprised it never reached #1.  BUT it did spend the most weeks on the billboard charts in the history of billboard a that time

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 1:57 pm

I used to not know a great deal about 80's music either...until the mid-90's.
Actually, I don't think that the band Softcell was a one hit wonder. I know they had at least one other hit.

Trust me, in America, it's considered a huge 1 Hit Wonder

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/05/06 at 1:59 pm

Rihanna really took a lot of elements from Tainted Love and put them into SOS, not just the sample but in the lyrics as well.

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:00 pm

Trust me, in America, it's considered a huge 1 Hit Wonder

But how could they be construed as one hit wonder if they truly had more than one hit? Okay, maybe their other hits were huge outside the U.S., but have gotten airplay here in the States.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:01 pm

Also, I just found this List, it's ("VH1's 100 Greatest 1 Hit Wonders"), and "Tainted Love" actually came in at #2 on their list.  They are definately a One Hit Wonder
http://www.twin-music.com/lists/vh1/100onehit.html

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:01 pm

Rihanna really took a lot of elements from Tainted Love and put them into SOS, not just the sample but in the lyrics as well.

You're right... she used the line "I toss and turn, I can't sleep at night" in there.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/05/06 at 2:02 pm

From Wikipedia:

While Tainted Love was Soft Cell's only major hit in the United States, the band had a string of hits in the UK, including "Bedsitter", "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye", "Torch" and "What", each of which broke the UK Top 5.

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:03 pm

Also, I just found this List, it's ("VH1's 100 Greatest 1 Hit Wonders"), and "Tainted Love" actually came in at #2 on their list.  They are definately a One Hit Wonder
http://www.twin-music.com/lists/vh1/100onehit.html

Don't believe a word of that. There are LOTS of artists on there who had more than one hit. I even remember watching the countdown on VH1 a few years back. Those folks didn't do extensive research. ::)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:03 pm

But how could they be construed as one hit wonder if they truly had more than one hit? Okay, maybe their other hits were huge outside the U.S., but have gotten airplay here in the States.

Now you're just being picky.  You know that it's a One Hit Wonder, but you're one of those people who get annoyed when someone is labeled a One Hit Wonder when they actually had another song.  That seems to be the trend these days

Actually, I have never in my life heard another Soft Cell song in America.  And i'm not saying they are a One Hit Wonder Worldwide, but they are a One Hit Wonder in America, and always will be

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:06 pm

From Wikipedia:

While Tainted Love was Soft Cell's only major hit in the United States, the band had a string of hits in the UK, including "Bedsitter", "Say Hello, Wave Goodbye", "Torch" and "What", each of which broke the UK Top 5.

Exactly.  Thank You

Sheesh, if we went by nally's logic on a One Hit Wonder, there wouldn't even be any One Hit Wonders  ::)

I don't think you know the "true" definition of a One Hit Wonder.  It isn't always "literally"

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:11 pm

Exactly.  Thank You

Sheesh, if we went by nally's logic on a One Hit Wonder, there wouldn't even be any One Hit Wonders  ::)

I don't think you know the "true" definition of a One Hit Wonder.  It isn't always "literally"

There was also "Sex Dwarf"...which may not have done well at all in the States, but I have heard it on the radio, especially on California stations like KYSR-FM (Star 98.7), and KROQ-FM (106.7), both of which are L.A.-based.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:14 pm

There was also "Sex Dwarf"...which may not have done well at all in the States, but I have heard it on the radio, especially on California stations like KYSR-FM (Star 98.7), and KROQ-FM (106.7), both of which are L.A.-based.

Oh, and you just assumed that song was a "Hit"?  ::)

And you accuse VH1 of not doing their research...

"Tainted Love" has been considered a One Hit Wonder for over 20 Years.  I don't know why all the sudden today it stops being a One Hit Wonder because "nally" says so  ;D

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:19 pm

Oh, and you just assumed that song was a "Hit"?  ::)

And you accuse VH1 of not doing their research...

"Tainted Love" has been considered a One Hit Wonder for over 20 Years.  I don't know why all the sudden today it stops being a One Hit Wonder because "nally" says so  ;D

Hey...watch it there... I have been a long-time board member and I'm not going to take any crap. >:(

By the way, Softcell is not the only artist on that list who was an alleged OHW. If I remember correctly, Men Without Hats was on there too. Their most well-known song was "Safety Dance", but they also had one other U.S. hit: "Pop Goes The World."

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:22 pm

Hey...watch it there... I have been a long-time board member and I'm not going to take any crap. >:(

By the way, Softcell is not the only artist on that list who was an alleged OHW. If I remember correctly, Men Without Hats was on there too. Their most well-known song was "Safety Dance", but they also had one other U.S. hit: "Pop Goes The World."

It's all in good fun, chill out

And just because you're a long-time board member doesen't make you any better or more important than anyone else.  That sounds very arrogant of you.  I'm sure you're a nicer person than that  :)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 2:25 pm

If I remember correctly, Men Without Hats was on there too. Their most well-known song was "Safety Dance", but they also had one other U.S. hit: "Pop Goes The World."

When a song is so popular in Pop-Culture History and is a smash hit as well as the Biggest hit in their career and that artist doesn't have another song that anyone even remembers (Even if it was a moderate hit), they are considered a One Hit Wonder

Written By: nally on 05/05/06 at 2:26 pm

It's all in good fun, chill out

And just because you're a long-time board member doesen't make you any better or more important than anyone else.  That sounds very arrogant of you.  I'm sure you're a nicer person than that  :)

Yes. I am a kinder person than that. :)

Sorry if you think I was trying to brag; I just don't like to get into arguments, cause that's just not me. :-\\

Written By: Blue Ant on 05/05/06 at 4:01 pm

Going off topic again??

Oh wait, this time I see how you got to where you did. You were discussing Soft Cell.

But how you got to discussing basketball on here is beyond my comprehension. ::)

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 4:09 pm

Going off topic again??

You didn't Create this Thread, so quit worrying about whether we go off topic or not  ::)

But how you got to discussing basketball on here is beyond my comprehension. ::)

If you even bothered to read this entire thread, you would see just how we got into the discussion of Basketball

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/05/06 at 4:21 pm

Going off topic again??

Oh wait, this time I see how you got to where you did. You were discussing Soft Cell.

Instead of complaining that a thread is off-topic, try steering it back on topic. 

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/05/06 at 8:38 pm

Going off topic again??

Who cares, lol.  ::)

Written By: ... on 05/25/06 at 10:40 pm

I haven't seen this thread yet. I'm actually one of maybe a few people who doesn't really care for the "SOS" song.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 11:36 pm

SOS just lost the no. 1 spot on the hot 100, it is now no.3. Chamillionaire's "Ridin'" is the new no. 1.

Check for new replies or respond here...