inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video/Music Piracy

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 2:30 pm

Do you ever engage in it? Do you see it as a reprehensible crime or as a necessary evil? i personally believe that artists should be financially rewarded so whenever possible you should buy creative product on the commercial market to make sure they get recompensed for their creative work (and note, too, music contracts are very different from how they used to be -- where bands often got rich in the 70s and 80s the way contracts work with major labels now, a lot of times the monetary compensation to artists for even very successful albums is much more modest...)

BUT...  as an obsessive collector of very obscure movies and t.v. shows from the 50s through the 80s i find a lot of things i seek out are no longer commercially available. in that case i have no problem buying a bootleg off of ebay if the quality is good, even though i know they're probably making a killing on it. if something is really obscure and you want it, you do what you have to do to get it. and in terms of the music scene, it seems to me bootlegs are an important part of fan culture. where would the grateful dead or pink floyd have been without bootleg recordings of their live shows? people who collect bootlegs of rock bands almost invariably have every commercially available album, too, and paid for them legitimately. so i honestly think cracking down on music bootlegs is largely much ado about nothing, and yet... bootlegs wouldn't be nearly as cool if they weren't illegal.

what do you think?

Subject: Re: Video/Music Piracy

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 2:38 pm

Do you ever engage in it? Do you see it as a reprehensible crime or as a necessary evil? i personally believe that artists should be financially rewarded so whenever possible you should buy creative product on the commercial market to make sure they get recompensed for their creative work (and note, too, music contracts are very different from how they used to be -- where bands often got rich in the 70s and 80s the way contracts work with major labels now, a lot of times the monetary compensation to artists for even very successful albums is much more modest...)

BUT...  as an obsessive collector of very obscure movies and t.v. shows from the 50s through the 80s i find a lot of things i seek out are no longer commercially available. in that case i have no problem buying a bootleg off of ebay if the quality is good, even though i know they're probably making a killing on it. if something is really obscure and you want it, you do what you have to do to get it. and in terms of the music scene, it seems to me bootlegs are an important part of fan culture. where would the grateful dead or pink floyd have been without bootleg recordings of their live shows? people who collect bootlegs of rock bands almost invariably have every commercially available album, too, and paid for them legitimately. so i honestly think cracking down on music bootlegs is largely much ado about nothing, and yet... bootlegs wouldn't be nearly as cool if they weren't illegal.

what do you think?

There are some things that you just can't get in a regular store.
I have a fair few bootleg DVD's and such that I've just never been able to find elsewhere.

When it comes to music, I will generally just buy the album.. however, there are times when I will get a bootleg or whatever.

For instance, there is a Katatonia CD I want, now, I've seen it, for about $50.
It's a 7 track session disc, I'm not paying $50 for it.
I'll wait until I find a copied version and get that instead.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 2:42 pm

I've done my fair share of illegal downloading, but I buy some albums as well, especially now. I've bought some songs on iTunes also. So I don't totally freeload on music, lol.

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 2:45 pm

i can't believe the world wants to keep me away from "nanny and the professor." that show is pure poetry, man.

so i get it on dvd from ebay and it's an obvious bootleg. like i care. i just need my nanny and the professor fix.

ditto paul mccartney and wings' rockshow.

interestingly i find most of the music stuff i want i can get commercially so i usually buy it. but i also trade mp3s online pretty often, which is flagrantly illegal. thing is, i've bought lots of albums based on mp3s people have sent me so really if they chilled out about that they might find they'd sell more albums.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/04/06 at 2:58 pm

I've never been against piracy

I don't care what's right and what's wrong.  These people get enough money as it is. More money than i'll ever see in my lifetime

Plus, alot of them are Arrogant, Greedy, Egomaniacs.  Why should I put my money in their pockets? Who cares if they entertain me, that's their decision, not mine  ;)

Written By: La Roche on 05/04/06 at 3:00 pm

i can't believe the world wants to keep me away from "nanny and the professor." that show is pure poetry, man.

so i get it on dvd from ebay and it's an obvious bootleg. like i care. i just need my nanny and the professor fix.

ditto paul mccartney and wings' rockshow.

interestingly i find most of the music stuff i want i can get commercially so i usually buy it. but i also trade mp3s online pretty often, which is flagrantly illegal. thing is, i've bought lots of albums based on mp3s people have sent me so really if they chilled out about that they might find they'd sell more albums.

How much did Cannibal corpse earn from you?

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 3:03 pm

How much did Cannibal corpse earn from you?
i just got that one album, so, you know, 15 bucksish. but i bought a bunch in a spate, morbid angel, dark angel, etc., i think it added up to more than a hundred bucks all told.

and then two weeks later i'm buying nanny and the professor. the customer profile thing doesn't know WHAT to make of me. please, send more revolting cocks and government issue... and season three of family affair! thanks!

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 7:56 pm

I still buy CD's, and infact I prefer owning actual CD's, but there are just some songs I like that are either so old, you can't get them on CD, or they are international hits that are not available over here. 

If breaking the law is what it takes to get the songs I love, then god damnit, I am a law breaker and proud of it O0

;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/04/06 at 8:00 pm

I mostly download songs I can't find on CD or songs I own on tape/album and can't find on CD.  I buy the albums only if I like more than 4 songs on it.  I'm not going to spend $20 on an CD that has only 1 or 2 songs on it I like. 

I never download movies. 

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 8:01 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/04/06 at 8:09 pm

I've downloaded a few DVD rips from a torrent website as well, full DVDs for nothing. It is kinda crazy. I'm surprised they haven't shut down more of them sites yet, I guess I'll enjoy it while it's still available.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/04/06 at 11:30 pm

I just get music if it's not available elsewhere... Or I'll get one or two songs to see if it's worth getting the album or not...

Written By: Red Ant on 05/05/06 at 12:16 am

The legality of this is questionable - file sharing groups like LimeWire and WinMX are still up whereas Napster got sued and shut down for basically the same thing. I never used Napster, but have used Limewire and WinMx before, mostly for bootleg, unrealeased and live cuts that never made it onto any CD.

CDs cost about 3 cents to press (much cheaper than cassettes), and maybe a dollar total by the time the reach a music store shelf, yet the average new CD cost is 19$ American here. Some CDs are ridiculous in this respect: for instance everything by John Lennon was 19$+ the last time I checked. The last time I checked, he has been dead for 26 years too. Who in the hell is getting the 19$ then? More importantly, what did these cost initially on vinyl - 4$ maybe?

That is a rip off, and I would have no qualms d/l files by artists that will never collect that money.

I also have no problem d/l one song if the CD sucks otherwise. I'm not spending 15$+ for a crap CD to get one song I want.

I still buy a ton of CDs, though they are mostly greatist hits that have the good songs on them. In all likelyhood, I wouldn't have bought these CDs had I not downloaded a few songs by that artist first.

Metallica owes me 20$ for St. Anger. Well, I'll settle for 19$ since I did get 2 matching drink coasters out of the deal.  ;D

I also buy used CDs when I can, though there isn't much selection here.

Although I haven't d/l from Itunes, from what I understand those files don't play on every computer (I believe they are M3L or M4L extensions).

Downloading movies is impossible on dial up.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:30 am

I've never been against piracy

I don't care what's right and what's wrong.  These people get enough money as it is. More money than i'll ever see in my lifetime

Plus, alot of them are Arrogant, Greedy, Egomaniacs.  Why should I put my money in their pockets? Who cares if they entertain me, that's their decision, not mine  ;)

I tend to have a Robin Hood mentality on the subject. To me, it depends on the artist: if the artist is a local, small-time band, and really makes music for the sake of it, I will try and support them by buying their CDs, merchandise.etc. BUT, I have to admit the REASON I BOUGHT THEIR ALBUMS was first because I 'sampled' a few of their songs by downloading them. Now let me ask you this, do you think an artist will like it more if you don't download a few measely dollars worth of songs - perhaps 1 or two tracks - or download them and go out and buy the album? Hence, I only use Limewire.etc to SAMPLE songs, and if I want the album I got out and buy it. Of course there are exceptions. I would have no hesitation in downloading a whole Britney Spears album (not that I download Britney Spears) or even U2 - I know it's inconsistence, but they're rich enough, lol. I have tried itunes, but the fact you can only download in the stupid protected .mp4 is pure crap. So, in conclusion I think p2p file sharing apps have their place, and oftentimes actually benefit artists.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 9:39 am

I tend to have a Robin Hood mentality on the subject. To me, it depends on the artist: if the artist is a local, small-time band, and really makes music for the sake of it, I will try and support them by buying their CDs, merchandise.etc. BUT, I have to admit the REASON I BOUGHT THEIR ALBUMS was first because I 'sampled' a few of their songs by downloading them. Now let me ask you this, do you think an artist will like it more if you don't download a few measely dollars worth of songs - perhaps 1 or two tracks - or download them and go out and buy the album? Hence, I only use Limewire.etc to SAMPLE songs, and if I want the album I got out and buy it. Of course there are exceptions. I would have no hesitation in downloading a whole Britney Spears album (not that I download Britney Spears) or even U2 - I know it's inconsistence, but they're reach enough, lol. I have tried itunes, but the fact you can only download in the stupid protected .mp4 is pure crap. So, in conclusion I think p2p file sharing apps have their place, and oftentimes actually benefit artists.

Why would I go out and buy someone's album after I already downloaded it?  That's a complete waste of money  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:10 am

Why would I go out and buy someone's album after I already downloaded it?  That's a complete waste of money  ;D

Ultimately, it falls back on a persons own personal ethics/principles. Yes, some might say, it's an issue of moralty, and they would be partly correct in accusing me of hypocrisy for 'selectively downloading' - but in truth I've only downloaded a few couple albums off the net. I do admit, If I want a whole album I sometimes borrow CD's from the local library, CD/Library and rip them as mp3s.

Written By: Abix on 05/05/06 at 11:40 am

Illegal Downloading is the best thing that ever happened to the industry :P  . For people such as myself, I would download songs of artists, that I normally would never consider buying.  And then lo and behold, I'd end up loving the songs, and I'd go out and buy every cd I could find on that artist. But hey, maybe that's just my own mental illness ! :D
It's not like they haven't compensated for it , by charging 17 to 20 bucks a pop for a cd. Not to mention the 75 to 150 bucks a ticket for a concert. They are more than making up for it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:57 am

Illegal Downloading is the best thing that ever happened to the industry :P  . For people such as myself, I would download songs of artists, that I normally would never consider buying.  And then lo and behold, I'd end up loving the songs, and I'd go out and buy every cd I could find on that artist. But hey, maybe that's just my own mental illness ! :D
It's not like they haven't compensated for it , by charging 17 to 20 bucks a pop for a cd. Not to mention the 75 to 150 bucks a ticket for a concert. They are more than making up for it.

If you think CD's are a rip off, look at legal music downloads. US$0.99/$1.69 for a song off itunes. A typical album has say, 12 songs, so 13x0.99 is about $11.88 US, or $20.28 Aussie, which is about the price of an album. I know, it gives you the change to choose the tracks you want, but they are still in a compressed - and thus inferior - format to the original WAV on CD's. On average, I think music should be about AU$1 a song (given the current strength of the currency), or about US $0.75. The promoters.etc would still make a killing even then...

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 11:02 pm

I'm a frequent pirate, because I'm just poor. I don't have the money or much of a way to earn it at this point.. I'd pay if I could, but I can't. I also think it's not worth 20 bucks an album, especially if it isn't good track for track. For example, I don't wanna buy an album for one or two good tracks. I'd gladly pay a quarter a song, but a dollar per song is crazy.

I see no difference between music and movie piracy.. I mean, music IS smaller scale and less money, but free sh-t is free sh-t, pretty much.. for me, anyway.

Written By: Apricot on 05/05/06 at 11:03 pm

I'm a frequent pirate, because I'm just poor. I don't have the money or much of a way to earn it at this point.. I'd pay if I could, but I can't. I also think it's not worth 20 bucks an album, especially if it isn't good track for track. For example, I don't wanna buy an album for one or two good tracks. I'd gladly pay a quarter a song, but a dollar per song is crazy.

Also, I dare you to find a Momus album in an American music store outside of the NYC store that specializes in Indiepop musicians (Other Music).

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 4:27 am

I see no difference between music and movie piracy.. I mean, music IS smaller scale and less money, but free sh-t is free sh-t, pretty much.. for me, anyway.

Almost all the albums I buy are heavily discounted - it's amazing the savings you can make if you just shop around. The average new album release is about $26 here, yet I buy albums on average for about $12, even new ones. Just need to know where to look and when.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/06/06 at 7:23 pm

Piracy is my only avenue for new music (and even old) these days. Radio, TV and other areas just aren't what they used to be, only focussing on the "next big thing" or "tried and true commercial drek". The main reason I use Bittorent/limewire etc is to sample new music, as opposed to only hearing one or two singles played on the radio, or reading a (usually biased) review. I tend to download all or parts of an album, and if I like what I hear, I will buy it, otherwise I will just delete it. In doing this, I think I have bought more albums than when it was just radio etc.On the flipside, I have decided not to buy particular albums that I was considering to get had I not listened to them first.

Also (as already stated), internet "piracy" is an easy way for unknown or local artists to get their music out to the world. Many artists I know and like now I wouldn't even heard of if it hadn't been for the internet.

There is the bad side of piracy, that which I completely disagree with, and that is the selling of copies of someone elses work for profit. I think this is what the companies should be focussing on, rather than what I described above.

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 10:43 pm

Also (as already stated), internet "piracy" is an easy way for unknown or local artists to get their music out to the world. Many artists I know and like now I wouldn't even heard of if it hadn't been for the internet.

There is the bad side of piracy, that which I completely disagree with, and that is the selling of copies of someone elses work for profit. I think this is what the companies should be focussing on, rather than what I described above.

Seriously, I owe pretty much all my musical tastes to internet piracy, I really do.

That copying and selling.. bootlegging.. that's not cool. For promotion, piracy is great.. but what you describe in the last paragraph is exploitation.

Written By: adagio on 05/08/06 at 10:51 pm

Woo...I'm goin' against the tide of general opinion, I see.  I don't believe in illegal downloading.  It's called illegal for a reason.  I checked out "free" legal d/l and they simply cost too much.  I would rather stick to iTunes (.99) or some other similar program.

No matter how much or little the singer makes off the CDs, it still belongs to him/her until we buy it

Don't throw too many bootlegged rotten eggs at me!   ;D

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/08/06 at 11:15 pm

eh...it isnt that bad, you have like a 1/10million% chance of getting caught and sued,  or something like that

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/09/06 at 12:01 am

Piracy helped me to really get to know music. I got a lot of songs on Napster around 2000/01, then came the filters and you'd misspell the titles to get the songs, eventually it was shut down and I moved on to Morpheus, then to kazaa, and eventually to Limewire/BitTorrent.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/09/06 at 9:24 pm

Piracy helped me to really get to know music. I got a lot of songs on Napster around 2000/01, then came the filters and you'd misspell the titles to get the songs, eventually it was shut down and I moved on to Morpheus, then to kazaa, and eventually to Limewire/BitTorrent.

BitTorrnet is my favorite

Written By: joedeertae on 05/10/06 at 12:45 pm

Metallica owes me 20$ for St. Anger. Well, I'll settle for 19$ since I did get 2 matching drink coasters out of the deal.  ;D

ROFLMAO!!!  ;D ;D ;D
I heard THAT!

I have mostly D/L'd stuff that is either rare/hard to find or I bought years... YEARS  ago on vinyl or cassette.
Maybe it's still not "right" but hey, I figure I already paid for it once....  :P
Most of the CD's I buy nowadays come off www.cdbaby.com , an online store that sells CDs by independent musicians, where the musicians make the money and not the distributors or record labels. I have found some really great music on there. I still buy a few comercially sold CD's now and then but it's only the rare occasion something GOOD comes out or if it's something that my kids wanted.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/10/06 at 8:09 pm

There's a lot of 60's stuff I've downloaded that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, like the Blues Magoos and Blue Cheer...and if I were to buy every CD I wanted, by every artist and band I like, and there are many...I'd go broke with many CD's being $15 US dollars and some even more than that...

I only buy CD's from bands that I know I'll like the entire disc..I always get anything new by bands like P.O.D. or The Cult.

Written By: Apricot on 05/10/06 at 8:31 pm

There's a lot of 60's stuff I've downloaded that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, like the Blues Magoos and Blue Cheer...and if I were to buy every CD I wanted, by every artist and band I like, and there are many...I'd go broke with many CD's being $15 US dollars and some even more than that...

Where are you finding 15 dollar albums? Almost all of the ones I've seen have been 17 and up! And I'm not even in an urban area...

Freakin' FYE has the monopoly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 9:01 pm

Piracy will continue so long as people buy and sell music...it's happened since the first time our ancestors tried to forge 'fake gold' and the like, and will continue into the future in a different guise. So they should stop focusing on trying to stop pirates, but encouraging people away from them by making prices more reasonable, giving buying some appeal.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/11/06 at 6:15 pm

Where are you finding 15 dollar albums? Almost all of the ones I've seen have been 17 and up! And I'm not even in an urban area...

CD Exchange in Northfield, NJ. I buy my CD's there, new...but they also sell used CD's a lot cheaper.

But like I said, not everything I like is still available. So I download. I even have a download of an NBC News interview with 60's counterculture icon Timothy Leary...one of the strangest interviews I ever heard.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/11/06 at 7:43 pm

Exactly!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 8:35 pm

Exactly!

Not all recording artists are jacked up with $$$ as you think. There are many - even fairly 'well-known' artists which are struggling to get by. Is it then alright to use the excuse they are 'rich enough anyway'?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 8:37 pm

You can get albums on sale at Best Buy or Circuit City for $10- $13, of course they might not have what you're looking for.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 9:16 pm

You can get album on sale at Best Buy or Circuit City for $10- $13, of course they might not have what you're looking for.

You can buy second-hand albums at some specialist record stores.etc - they usually have a good range. Or else go to ebay. Surprisingly, most are free of scratches, smudges, and even those are cleanable.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 9:20 pm

You can buy second-hand albums at some specialist record stores.etc - they usually have a good range. Or else go to ebay. Surprisingly, most are free of scratches, smudges, and even those are cleanable.

The Foo Fighters album I bought I paid $12.99 and that's a double album, the new chili peppers album also a double album is selling for $11.99 at Best Buy as well. I'd never pay $17.00.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 9:23 pm

iTunes is charging $19.90 for the new RHCP album and Best Buy has it for $11.99, and you wonder why people pirate. It's a total joke to pay $8 more for the same material with DRM and no physical media. iTunes should be ashamed of themselves.

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/06 at 9:25 pm

Illegal downloading of music will always exist.  Look what happened with the Copy Control technology on CD's.  They said it would stop people from making them into mp3's and illegally sharing them, yet many CD's with CC, I can still easily find the mp3's on the internet for free

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/11/06 at 9:28 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/11/06 at 9:42 pm

Because the copy control on CDs is so weak. They'd have to create a whole new media to have somewhat decent copy control, though everything will be cracked at one point. Bypassing copy control on CDs involves holding down the shift key while loading the copy protected CD, this stops autorun from loading the copy protection crap onto your computer, and allows you to just rip the audio contents without a problem.

Even if you can't crack the copy control you can always use Line-in to record it direct from the output jack. Ooops, maybe shouldn't have said that.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/12/06 at 3:26 am

The Foo Fighters album I bought I paid $12.99 and that's a double album, the new chili peppers album also a double album is selling for $11.99 at Best Buy as well. I'd never pay $17.00.
There are some CD's or artists I'd pay big money for, usually hard done by artists or really REALLY good cd's. Otherwise I check second hand or discount stores.

Written By: Apricot on 05/12/06 at 2:23 pm

You can get albums on sale at Best Buy or Circuit City for $10- $13, of course they might not have what you're looking for.

I dare you to try to find a Tubeway Army or a Momus album at a Best Buy. ;D

What was said up there about musicians not being so rich as you think.. did you know a musician only makes about a quarter an album? I read something about Jay-Z.. he said for a platinum record, he only made about 250,000 dollars.. a lot, but only 25 cents per album, really.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/22/06 at 9:29 pm

Not all recording artists are jacked up with $$$ as you think. There are many - even fairly 'well-known' artists which are struggling to get by. Is it then alright to use the excuse they are 'rich enough anyway'?

No, I'm saying it's all right to get one or two songs if your intent is to see if you like them enough to buy an album.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/22/06 at 9:40 pm

What was said up there about musicians not being so rich as you think.. did you know a musician only makes about a quarter an album? I read something about Jay-Z.. he said for a platinum record, he only made about 250,000 dollars.. a lot, but only 25 cents per album, really.

Of course they don't, most of it goes to the greedy recording executives. The artists still make a lot, but only a very small portion of the total profits. They make money from endorsements and stuff too probably.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/22/06 at 11:19 pm

You have some righteous tastes my man!

My favorite artists and labels send me their CDs for free, and I play 'em on the radio. I justify my rampant copying thusly: all CDs sent to me at the radio station are radio station property. I want it that way. It's important to me for my station to have the best avant-classical/ experimental/electroacustic/electronic library I can build. However, I also want to have backup copies in case something goes missing or gets stolen, AND I can use the copy I make if I end up broadcasting elsewhere!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/orangehat.gif

Written By: Apricot on 05/23/06 at 3:04 pm

Of course they don't, most of it goes to the greedy recording executives. The artists still make a lot, but only a very small portion of the total profits. They make money from endorsements and stuff too probably.

Concerts are where it's at, apparently.

Written By: Apricot on 05/23/06 at 3:05 pm

You have some righteous tastes my man!

My favorite artists and labels send me their CDs for free, and I play 'em on the radio. I justify my rampant copying thusly: all CDs sent to me at the radio station are radio station property. I want it that way. It's important to me for my station to have the best avant-classical/ experimental/electroacustic/electronic library I can build. However, I also want to have backup copies in case something goes missing or gets stolen, AND I can use the copy I make if I end up broadcasting elsewhere!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/orangehat.gif

Ah, thanks, man.

You work with a radio station? Sweet.

Written By: Bobby on 05/23/06 at 3:21 pm

That's right.

It depends on how the music business want to view the situation. I have bought CDs because I have heard it first on an mp3 file after downloading it. Admittedly there is stuff I simply will have major trouble getting hold of (CDs of Luba spring to mind) and I still have trouble coming to terms with the idea that I have to buy an album for one great song while the rest of them are all duff - I can't help it.

Written By: Bobby on 05/23/06 at 3:26 pm

If you think CD's are a rip off, look at legal music downloads. US$0.99/$1.69 for a song off itunes. A typical album has say, 12 songs, so 13x0.99 is about $11.88 US, or $20.28 Aussie, which is about the price of an album. I know, it gives you the change to choose the tracks you want, but they are still in a compressed - and thus inferior - format to the original WAV on CD's. On average, I think music should be about AU$1 a song (given the current strength of the currency), or about US $0.75. The promoters.etc would still make a killing even then...

Absolutely right!

The music is usually compressed to an 128 bit rate mp3 file which is atrocious quality compared to the uncompressed WAV file. IMO, A song needs to be at least an 192 bit rate mp3 for the song to be worthy of downloading - however, I think 320 bit rate is probably more deserving of your money.

I think the music industry are laughing at these people who download, they are saving so much money on distribution and CD cover design. I'm not too sure about you guys but I need a CD cover and sleeve notes to make it a purchase.

k.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/16/06 at 4:09 pm

I've had so many CDs/DVDs damaged or lost or stolen when loaned out that now I am comfortable with listening to/viewing a copy of a disc when someone wants to share something they think I'll like -- but if I like it I buy the disc.  I like album art, liner notes, etc.  It's like reading a paperback, loving the book and then buying the hardback for my permanent collection -- or donating the paperback to Goodwill if I don't care for it. 
And I believe in the equal rights of the artist to the fruits of their labor.  I don't want them going out of business.  I want a system that allows more people to be full time writers and artists, not fewer. 
The exception is something that just isn't available yet or won't be ever.  Song of the South should be on Region 1 DVD but it's not.  Why can't I buy O Lucky Man when everyone outside Region 1 in the world can?  If I could find Northern Exposure with the original music I would be real tempted.  But I'd still want the real thing when/if it became available.  (For now I've bought used/half price disc sets of NE with crappy generic soundtrack music, and Amazon has started a waiting list for O Lucky Man! so I haven't given up hope.)
Right now I'm trying to identify and purchase legal copies of songs from a radio show I recorded off air back in 84-5.  I've got three second-generation cassettes full of stuff I love and some of it is pretty obscure.  That's why I signed on here; I found your 80's compilations track lists and reviews and then the messageboard.  I have found several songs with help from you folks.  Amazon and ebay have had listings on legitimate copies of everything you've helped me find so far.  (The trick is I have to buy a turntable, but I had already figured that out.)
I admit it gets foggy when you realize that artists dont' get $ when you buy used, and used is legal.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/19/06 at 1:08 am

I mostly download songs I can't find on CD or songs I own on tape/album and can't find on CD.  I buy the albums only if I like more than 4 songs on it.  I'm not going to spend $20 on an CD that has only 1 or 2 songs on it I like. 

I never download movies. 

Ditto here.

I do buy cd's, if I think they're worth it..but I agree, far too often there's only a couple of songs worth a darn on the whole album..and I can't afford to spend $20 on a single song! VERY seldom do I buy an album without knowing at least three or four songs (and liking them) from that album. If it's a singer or group I adore, I may buy it after hearing only one or two songs..but not some newbie band that may only BE a one hit wonder.
If I like the song enough, I have been known to buy the CD after downloading the single, though. I look at it kind of like a 'sneak peek'.  ;D

Plus around here, it's really hard to find a cd single, so that really only leaves the internet. I do find some decent deals on Amazon's Marketplace or eBay once in awhile, but I've not always had luck there either.
Really a lot, if not most, of what I've downloaded online were from records or cassettes that I already had but wanted the new format. The way I look at it, I've already PAID for a lot of them once! LOL!  ;)

But I've never downloaded a movie or any entire album.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/19/06 at 1:47 am

Ditto here.

I do buy cd's, if I think they're worth it..but I agree, far too often there's only a couple of songs worth a darn on the whole album..and I can't afford to spend $20 on a single song! VERY seldom do I buy an album without knowing at least three or four songs (and liking them) from that album. If it's a singer or group I adore, I may buy it after hearing only one or two songs..but not some newbie band that may only BE a one hit wonder.
If I like the song enough, I have been known to buy the CD after downloading the single, though. I look at it kind of like a 'sneak peek'.  ;D

Plus around here, it's really hard to find a cd single, so that really only leaves the internet. I do find some decent deals on Amazon's Marketplace or eBay once in awhile, but I've not always had luck there either.
Really a lot, if not most, of what I've downloaded online were from records or cassettes that I already had but wanted the new format. The way I look at it, I've already PAID for a lot of them once! LOL!  ;)

But I've never downloaded a movie or any entire album.

I've downloaded entire albums before, but they've been albums that either haven't been commercially released in the US or they are way too expensive to buy from overseas.  Kylie Minogue is one artist I've spent hundreds of dollars on buying her catalogue (CDs and DVDs) from HMV in the UK and HMV in Australia, but that's the exception.  I'm not spending close to  $40 dollars on a CD (price + international shipping) unless it's an artist I collect, and she's an artist I collect. 

Written By: searching1980s on 06/19/06 at 9:38 am

I'm having very good luck with used CDs on both ebay and Amazon.  Very rare that they are damaged and good response when they occasionally are.  No complaints there.
I watch prices (using Amazon's Wish Lists and ebay's saved searches) for a while to see what's a good buy and then each payday I make my choices.  (Yes, music and movies are right after bills and groceries and are taken care of on payday like all the other important stuff.) 
I got my Dad's Father's Day gifts that way this year too -- five CDs of old style mountain music and early country for under $30.  Got Mom's Mother's Day gift on ebay too. 
I have to admit I enjoy the searching, too.  That's how I found this site and this message board -- looking for rare 80's tracks, some of which I am buying on ebay since you good people identified them for me.  (Thanks again!)

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/08 at 11:45 pm

It's getting so I can't get the CDs that I want because they just don't get released over here, so rather than pay ridiculously high prices to have them imported, I just make my own

I download a whole album, burn it to one of those miniature recordable CDs and print off a mini CD sleeve.  I listen to music at work alot, and I find the smaller sized CDs are easier to take into work everyday.  Plus, they just look so awesome 8)  Untortunately, the mini CDs can only hold 21 minutes of music, so I make them as mp3 CD-Rs.  Here's a bunch I made today ...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9215/2008072801409me7.jpg

Top Row (L to R)
'Overloaded: The Singles Collection' - Sugababes (2007)
'Jumping All Over the World' - Scooter (2008)
'The Hits and Beyond' - Dannii Minogue (2006)

Bottom Row (L to R)
'Love Me Right' - Angel City (2006)
'Forever' - Milk Inc (2008)
'Boogie 2nite' - Booty Luv (2007)

Written By: midnite on 07/28/08 at 7:03 pm

It's getting so I can't get the CDs that I want because they just don't get released over here, so rather than pay ridiculously high prices to have them imported, I just make my own

I download a whole album, burn it to one of those miniature recordable CDs and print off a mini CD sleeve.  I listen to music at work alot, and I find the smaller sized CDs are easier to take into work everyday.  Plus, they just look so awesome 8)  Untortunately, the mini CDs can only hold 21 minutes of music, so I make them as mp3 CD-Rs.  Here's a bunch I made today ...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9215/2008072801409me7.jpg

Top Row (L to R)
'Overloaded: The Singles Collection' - Sugababes (2007)
'Jumping All Over the World' - Scooter (2008)
'The Hits and Beyond' - Dannii Minogue (2006)

Bottom Row (L to R)
'Love Me Right' - Angel City (2006)
'Forever' - Milk Inc (2008)
'Boogie 2nite' - Booty Luv (2007)

A majority of the good dance/trance music is released in Europe.  It is difficult and expensive to get CDs.  And the remixes are even harder to get.

Written By: Bobby on 07/28/08 at 7:27 pm

That's right.

It depends on how the music business want to view the situation. I have bought CDs because I have heard it first on an mp3 file after downloading it. Admittedly there is stuff I simply will have major trouble getting hold of (CDs of Luba spring to mind) and I still have trouble coming to terms with the idea that I have to buy an album for one great song while the rest of them are all duff - I can't help it.

Two and a half years on from this . . .

Over the last two or three months I have spent a huge amount of money on CDs to cover anything I have downloaded and I have found the CDs I wanted of Luba and Frozen Ghost on Amazon so it is possible for me to get what I want.

My opinion is, if you can't find what you want on Play.com, E-Bay, Amazon, official music internet site or in your CD store then what else can you do but 'aquire' it (if you are that worried about the illegality of it just don't share it).

Written By: Shacks Train on 09/07/08 at 4:01 am

From a friend of mine in the Music Indusrty:

"Let's set the record straight.

I worked for a major record label (MCA/Uni) for close to 23 years. When I started there in the warehouse, we were just starting to release 12" vinyl of singles.I saw the record companies first hand buy into the idea of selling music online back in the 90's. When they knew it wasn't going to work because of P2P issues, instead of pulling back and being content with physical sales of records the labels bought into companies like MP3 dot com, BMG bought Napster, warner, Sony ... They all did it. I can tell you first hand from working there that online sharing of music doesn't kill sales, it promotes it. If you don't believe me look into DVD movies. The industry will tell you that they are losing money due to piracy... Yet if you look up the manufacturers websites and under corprate info (free for all to see) you will find out that production is up every year about 4- 7 % over the previous year. Yes sales in $ may be down, but is it due to people downloading???... Absolutely not!!!! It has to due with distributors. 10 years ago there were hundreds of store across this country that delt with companies like Pindoff or Handleman. But now it's down to about 4 places. Walmart,Zellers, Future Shop and Best Buy.

BTW if you want to know why I don't work there anymore, all the major record labels outsourced operations to save money because to put product in a store like walmart cuts into profits. There is now only one label with it's own warehouse... There used to be 10.... So excuse me if I don't buy into this crock of crap the labels are spewing. And if you think for a minute that the artists see huge amounts of $$$ from sales think again. Most artists make thier bread and butter off concert sales,T-shirts, Clothes and other stuff. Thats why a lot of artists are going the route of offering thier product online and not through a major label... It's the companies that are crying, and from one who worked there, I can say it's thier own doing. Anyone who has a vested interest in making money from someone elses work is crying. Not the bands.

Want more proof? If these labels are so worried about piracy, go to you tube and type in a band... Isn't it odd how they post all thier videos on You Tube free for everyone to see???? Sharing increases sales... Thats why they do it... Like the dealer that give free hits to get you hooked.... "

Personally I have near 10,000 mp3s I've gotten off the internet & the blog sites offer entire albums & they will "NEVER" be shut down!!So if your worried about the wish police kicking your door in ;D
When cassette decks were sold they sold blank tapes........VCRs .....they sold blank tapes
All computers come with CD/DVD burners.....Gee why???
As long as you don't try to profit off others.........Who cares legal.Illegal.....I have a MP3 maker & I can set my bitrate to what I want convert wave files etc......Makes me think of the "Family Guy" episode where the FBI breaks his door in for trying to record NFL!!! ;D
Everyone has downloaded something at sometime so if your worried about it just think of it as a guilty pleasure....In Canada we are protected from any/all p2p lawsuits....."Can't Touch This"
I share this music on other boards all the time & several friends of mine also run blogs that post music!
Wheres the Ambiguity .....Over there in a Box ;D ;D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/07/08 at 4:11 am

We are but a small country with only a small percentage of the world's music sold here. With many music stores closing down over the years it's even harder to find music. So for some music, the internet is the only option. And in some cases, to download the music freely is the only way to acquire said music.

And also in saying that, if it weren't for the internet, think of all the international music I wouldn't now be listening to.

Written By: midnite on 09/07/08 at 4:53 pm

And also in saying that, if it weren't for the internet, think of all the international music I wouldn't now be listening to.

I agree. I listen to ALOT of international music and can only thank TIM BERNERS LEE for that!  LOL.

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/08 at 9:38 pm

International Music is where it's at for me as well.  If not for the Internet, I would never have latched onto Techno and Dance Music the way I have.  If I had to go back to listening to the stanard fare in the US/Canada Top 40, I might have to kill myself LOL

Check for new replies or respond here...