inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teen Dramas/Movies And Defining Periods

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/05/06 at 8:56 pm

I think you could say that different periods are defined by different TV shows and teen movies, as for the "youth" experience.

-The "peak '80s" were defined by the John Hughes movies, though along with the early '80s the slasher movies like Halloween had an impact. Also, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future, and Footloose were huge. Heathers to me represents the turn of the late '80s towards a more "nihilistic" view among teenagers.
-Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince of Bel Air define the 1990ish attitude to the max.
-To me, Beverly Hills 90210 and Clueless defined the "peak '90s", like late 1991-early 1998, attitude about things.
-There was a whole wave of late '90s teen movies and shows that to me define that period. She's All That, Dawson's Creek, etc.
-The O.C. really defines '00s teens, though the movies Ghost World, Donnie Darko, and The Virgin Suicides are influential along with the other O.C.-type dramas.

Any thoughts on in what ways the nature of the TV shows and movies represent the times they dominated?

Subject: Re: Teen Dramas/Movies And Defining Periods

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/05/06 at 9:45 pm

I think the movie Clerks sums up the 90's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 10:54 pm

Donnie Darko was set in the late 1980s.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/05/06 at 10:58 pm

I think you could say that different periods are defined by different TV shows and teen movies, as for the "youth" experience.

-The "peak '80s" were defined by the John Hughes movies, though along with the early '80s the slasher movies like Halloween had an impact. Also, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Dirty Dancing, Back to the Future, and Footloose were huge. Heathers to me represents the turn of the late '80s towards a more "nihilistic" view among teenagers.
-Saved by the Bell and Fresh Prince of Bel Air define the 1990ish attitude to the max.
-To me, Beverly Hills 90210 and Clueless defined the "peak '90s", like late 1991-early 1998, attitude about things.
-There was a whole wave of late '90s teen movies and shows that to me define that period. She's All That, Dawson's Creek, etc.
-The O.C. really defines '00s teens, though the movies Ghost World, Donnie Darko, and The Virgin Suicides are influential along with the other O.C.-type dramas.

Any thoughts on in what ways the nature of the TV shows and movies represent the times they dominated?

Ugh, if that is the case, then just Kill me now.  I really hate that crap show, it's brainwashing our youth and telling them what's cool and what isn't

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 4:22 am

I love it how they try and give indie artists like Interpol, the Walkmen, Rooney, Youth Group airplay on the O.C., as if to say they are 'too hip' for mainstream top-40 radio and the culture that goes with it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:54 am

Ugh, if that is the case, then just Kill me now.  I really hate that crap show, it's brainwashing our youth and telling them what's cool and what isn't

Yeah, I hate The O.C...and it is brainwashing our youth into an obsessive materialistic compulsion.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 6:09 am

Yeah, I hate The O.C...and it is brainwashing our youth into an obsessive materialistic compulsion.

My feeling towards the O.C. isn't as strong as 'hate' - but then again, I may not have wittnessed its most insidious influence - but it get's a bit recycled, cliched and tired at times, but I don't think its message is 100% bad. I don't think it preaches that materialism is the end all and be all of everything, and it is the only measure of popularity. In fact, at times it seems to be the opposite. I get slightly annoyed with it because it portrays rich, cash-loaded and spoilt kids who have nothing but the moan about the next problem: the rest of the world probably thinks they are 'normal American teens' (which in many ways they are), but, I mean, which 17 year old drives a new BMW/Mercedes to school? I didn't even have my license when I was in high school.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 8:34 am

My feeling towards the O.C. isn't as strong as 'hate' - but then again, I may not have wittnessed its most insidious influence - but it get's a bit recycled, cliched and tired at times, but I don't think its message is 100% bad. I don't think it preaches that materialism is the end all and be all of everything, and it is the only measure of popularity. In fact, at times it seems to be the opposite. I get slightly annoyed with it because it portrays rich, cash-loaded and spoilt kids who have nothing but the moan about the next problem: the rest of the world probably thinks they are 'normal American teens' (which in many ways they are), but, I mean, which 17 year old drives a new BMW/Mercedes to school? I didn't even have my license when I was in high school.

Very few do. A problem now is people of the upper half of the middle class, not quite even upper middle-class, aspiring to be like that. But I noticed after that show came out the whole "preppie", snooty, materialistic look and attitude started becoming popular. Teenagers want to be like those characters now. There's a division in my school between those that watch it and those that don't, actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 8:57 am

Very few do. A problem now is people of the upper half of the middle class, not quite even upper middle-class, aspiring to be like that. But I noticed after that show came out the whole "preppie", snooty, materialistic look and attitude started becoming popular. Teenagers want to be like those characters now. There's a division in my school between those that watch it and those that don't, actually.

Having said that, I do find it a touch annoying how people how to over-analyse/take things like this so serious. I used to watch the O.C. regularly (not religiously), and it generally delivers on what it sets out to; entertain people. I've never really thought about the social implications of the show, preferring to watch it for its soapy entertainment value.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 9:41 am

Having said that, I do find it a touch annoying how people how to over-analyse/take things like this so serious. I used to watch the O.C. regularly (not religiously), and it generally delivers on what it sets out to; entertain people. I've never really thought about the social implications of the show, preferring to watch it for its soapy entertainment value.

There really are people who base their life on that show, though, and don't take it with a grain of salt at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...