inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: McDonalds getting a 21st Century makeover

Written By: sonikuu on 05/06/06 at 2:04 am

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P150732.asp?GT1=8180

While I hate McDonalds nowadays (I grew out of it years ago), and some of the changes are kind of neat, I must say I'll actually be sad when the redesign happens.  Some of the changes I don't quite get, like when they say that the traditional roof is "dated".  The funniest thing is that McDonalds is obviously trying to look hip and more sophisticated when they're, well, McDonalds.  I mean, who wants to bet that all their fancy armchairs and stuff will be ruined within a few years thanks to bratty kids?

Subject: Re: McDonalds getting a 21st Century makeover

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 4:24 am

They've already made over the local McDonalds (they also expanded it into a 'McCafe') which I think is a big improvement over the old, plasticky interior. Seems like a massive undertaking to me - 30,000 around the world??  :o

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:53 am

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/invest/extra/P150732.asp?GT1=8180

While I hate McDonalds nowadays (I grew out of it years ago), and some of the changes are kind of neat, I must say I'll actually be sad when the redesign happens.  Some of the changes I don't quite get, like when they say that the traditional roof is "dated".  The funniest thing is that McDonalds is obviously trying to look hip and more sophisticated when they're, well, McDonalds.  I mean, who wants to bet that all their fancy armchairs and stuff will be ruined within a few years thanks to bratty kids?

I stopped going to McDonald's years ago, but I have to agree. The makeover is going to fail horribly...people don't want McDonald's to be more "hip and sophisticated", especially in less "hip and sophisticated" parts of the country. For one, people in the big cities aren't going to eat McDonald's anyway with all the other options, and people in the country will balk at it. And yeah, their fancy armchairs will be ruined by bratty kids.

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 2:58 pm

It's true, you can't polish a turd . . .

It seems like McDonalds is trying to get upmarket - since when did fast food appeal to the upmarket?

McDonalds will end up spending all their profits on furniture cleaner.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 3:08 pm

It's true, you can't polish a turd . . .

It seems like McDonalds is trying to get upmarket - since when did fast food appeal to the upmarket?

McDonalds will end up spending all their profits on furniture cleaner.  ;D

Maybe this will be one of the big symbols of the economic failure of the late '00s, along with half-completed redevelopment projects and real estate developments, and plummeting home values.

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 3:36 pm

I hate going into McDonalds anymore, becuase there's always bratty kids running around, throwing food and screaming.  The food isn't all that great anymore.  I always refer to it as Mcѕhits, becuase everytime I eat it, it comes out faster than it goes down  :-[

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/06 at 4:13 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 4:35 pm

It will backfire.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/06 at 5:05 pm

that is just totally ridiculous....McDonald's isn't McDonalds without the retro plastic seats....what are they thinking? ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:53 pm

It will backfire.

How badly, do you think?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/06/06 at 7:47 pm

It will go over very badly.......  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 8:39 pm

It will go over very badly.......  ::)

It'll lose alot of customers and have to revert to the old style.

Written By: Apricot on 05/06/06 at 10:50 pm

McDonalds is a faceless bastard corporation.

You don't make those look cool and retro.. you make them project the image of "F--k you, consumer, where else ya gonna go? You're already here! Eat it, bitch!"

The idea of McDonalds is to be able to handle a mess.. carpet and plushy chairs doesn't match with french fries and ketchup.

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 10:52 pm

If you wanna see how McDonalds operates, play that McDonalds game in the Flash Arcade.  You'll hate McDonalds in no time ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 9:28 pm

I think hating McDonald's demonstrates your snobbism.  ;)

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/08/06 at 7:57 am

I have to admit I loved McDonald's until I became a vegetarian and now there's not a thing in the place that I can eat.  But man up until about a year ago, I'd have a sausage egg and cheese mcgriddle every saturday and it was sooooooooooo good.  i miss McDonald's. and it's ridiculous that they're changing their look.  part of what i loved about going there was that it reminded me of being a kid...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 8:43 am

I have to admit I loved McDonald's until I became a vegetarian and now there's not a thing in the place that I can eat.  But man up until about a year ago, I'd have a sausage egg and cheese mcgriddle every saturday and it was sooooooooooo good.  i miss McDonald's. and it's ridiculous that they're changing their look.  part of what i loved about going there was that it reminded me of being a kid...

They used to have these 'vegieburgers' - never took off for some reason. I wonder why...

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 8:55 am

The two McDonalds in this town don't have the apparently traditional red roof.  One is in a row of shops in the town centre, the other is a converted pub (which has listed building status controlling how much it could be knocked about)

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/08/06 at 9:07 am

They used to have these 'vegieburgers' - never took off for some reason. I wonder why...

yeah that would be good...but they use beef seasoning in the fries so i can't even eat those...and i LOVED McDonald's fries!!!!  :\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 10:07 am

yeah that would be good...but they use beef seasoning in the fries so i can't even eat those...and i LOVED McDonald's fries!!!!  :\'(

You know beef seasoning doesn't contain any actual beef.  ;)

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/08/06 at 10:47 am

You know beef seasoning doesn't contain any actual beef.  ;)

what's in it?

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 11:27 am

what's in it?

seasonings.  salt, garlic, herbs and stuff.  At least that's what you find if you Google beef seasoning

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/06 at 2:21 pm

Maybe it's in the oil, though.. I know that's not vegetable oil.. but I've heard rumors they're converting.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/08/06 at 2:32 pm

i think i heard something about it "being seasoned WITH beef", maybe not that it was "beef seasonings". i know they used to actually cook the fries in animal fat, but it's different now.  they still use a beef byproduct in some way... so i can't eat it...but i miss it

Written By: Apricot on 05/08/06 at 2:37 pm

i think i heard something about it "being seasoned WITH beef", maybe not that it was "beef seasonings". i know they used to actually cook the fries in animal fat, but it's different now.  they still use a beef byproduct in some way... so i can't eat it...but i miss it

Yeah, they recently switched to vegetable oil, I think.. here, lemme look up the seasoning...

They say the seasoning is a "wheat and dairy" product... not beef, but it comes from cows... unless you're vegan, you should be fine.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/09/06 at 6:53 am

Yeah, they recently switched to vegetable oil, I think.. here, lemme look up the seasoning...

They say the seasoning is a "wheat and dairy" product... not beef, but it comes from cows... unless you're vegan, you should be fine.

thanks!!! would you have a link to that?

Written By: karen on 05/09/06 at 7:07 am

Bill according to the McDonalds US site their fries do contain beef.  But they do not in other countries.  In the UK they are fried in vegetable oil and the only added ingredient is salt.

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.index.html#1

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/09/06 at 8:49 am

thank you very much!

Check for new replies or respond here...