inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '90s bands that went '00s style

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 4:49 pm

I'd argue the boy bands/girl groups did so, by fusing with rap.

Subject: Re: '90s bands that went '00s style

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera definitely did, but they didn't succeed. Radiohead removed their grunge influences and added more electronic stuff and so thereby went '00s, and now they're adding reggaeton influences for their next CD and so are going even more '00s (reggaeton is very big now.) Green Day did. Tori Amos, Liz Phair, etc. went into generic '00s A/C rock from being intense alt rock chicks in the '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 4:52 pm

Would you say Avril Lavigne is kind of a last call of the '90s "grrll" singers, combined with emo and bubblegum influence?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:54 pm

Would you say Avril Lavigne is kind of a last call of the '90s "grrll" singers, combined with emo and bubblegum influence?

Yeah, I'd say that she along with Pink, Vanessa Carlton maybe is the last super-commercialized call of the '90s "grrls", who ranged from Courtney Love to Liz Phair to Aimee Mann to Tori Amos.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/06/06 at 4:54 pm

OutKast

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 4:55 pm

Would you put Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs in the "grrl" category?  "Like the Weather" sounds rather '90s, despite being from 1987.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 4:55 pm

Blink-182 also went very '00s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 4:57 pm

Would you put Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs in the "grrl" category?  "Like the Weather" sounds rather '90s, despite being from 1987.

Yeah, I think I would. So are Suzanne Vega and Tracy Chapman, despite also being late '80s. I think of Natalie Imbruglia, Alanis Morisette, Sheryl Crow, etc. as being the first commercialized, but still good wave of it, and then the 2002ish wave as being the sell-out of that movement.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 5:01 pm

Stuff like Celine Dion and Alanis Morissette almost sounds like oldies compared to '00s music.  That sort of music is where the '90s and '00s seem to be the most different.  It's only the really hip music of the '90s, like Snoop Dogg that doesn't sound dated today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 5:03 pm

Stuff like Celine Dion and Alanis Morissette almost sounds like oldies compared to '00s music.  That sort of music is where the '90s and '00s seem to be the most different.  It's only the really hip music of the '90s, like Snoop Dogg that doesn't sound dated today.

Yeah, Alanis Morisette, Meredith Brooks, etc. could never get popular today.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 12:50 am

I think the question is which '90s bands DIDN'T go 00s in style, as most I can think of adapted to suit 00s fashions. Radiohead almost got rid of the guitars for 'Kid A', going almost electronic, while Green Day supposedly 'went emo.' It's good to see the RHCP's and Pearl Jam continuing to churn out good, very 90s music.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 12:51 am

Green Day's '90s and '00s stuff really isn't that different.  They just fit well within the emo thing, because they play power chords and dress new wave.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 12:51 am

Green Day did not go emo, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" is far from emo. And Holiday and American Idiot are punk all the way, not whiny emo.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 12:54 am

Green Day's '90s and '00s stuff really isn't that different.  They just fit well within the emo thing, because they play power chords and dress new wave.

Yeah, you're right, they haven't changed, they just fit well within emo. Mariah Carey's latest release sounds more glam rap-y.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 12:56 am

Yeah, you're right, they haven't changed, they just fit well within emo. Mariah Carey's latest release sounds more glam rap-y.

I really like Mariah's latest album, it's not as good as some of her earlier stuff, but the best she's put out in a while. She's more hip-hop ish now, but a good amount of the songs on Emancipation of Mimi are good R&B ballads.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:38 am

Mariah's popularity is sliding...

I think Madonna and Kylie Minogue are the two pop-divas who are as popular now as they were at their peak.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:18 pm

Mariah's popularity is sliding...

I think Madonna and Kylie Minogue are the two pop-divas who are as popular now as they were at their peak.

Madonna is nowhere near as popular as she was at her peak. Almost everything she released shot straight to US #1 or #2 during her 1984-1991 or so peak. She definitely had an '00s comeback with "Music", "Hung Up", etc. though. But there's nowhere near as much fascination with her as there was back in the late '80s or early '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 9:31 pm

Madonna is nowhere near as popular as she was at her peak. Almost everything she released shot straight to US #1 or #2 during her 1984-1991 or so peak. She definitely had an '00s comeback with "Music", "Hung Up", etc. though. But there's nowhere near as much fascination with her as there was back in the late '80s or early '90s.

Yeah, of course it was a pale shadow of her peak, but her latest album has been doing well.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 10:16 pm

Yeah, of course it was a pale shadow of her peak, but her latest album has been doing well.

Yeah, it did better than American Life or even Music...probably comparable to Ray of Light in terms of sales.

Check for new replies or respond here...