inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the "early '00s" era?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 10:35 pm

I'd say the "early '00s" are literally 2000-early 2003, but the early '00s "era" is about late 2001 to mid-2003.

Subject: Re: What is the "early '00s" era?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 10:36 pm

The early '00s is technically 2000-2002, and the early '00s feel is kind of late 2000-early 2003.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/06/06 at 11:31 pm

The early '00s is technically 2000-2002, and the early '00s feel is kind of late 2000-early 2003.

Not to be an asshole, but actually if you think about it the early '00s is 2000-early 2003, because a third of a decade is 3 1/3 years.  The mid '00s would be May '03 to August '06.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 11:33 pm

Not to be an Ashcroft, but actually if you think about it the early '00s is 2000-early 2003, because a third of a decade is 3 1/3 years.  The mid '00s would be May '03 to August '06.

Yea you could do that as well, I say 2003 is mid '00s because the year is closer to the middle of the decade than the beginning. (Jan. 1, 2003 is closer to Jan. 1, 2005 than Jan. 1, 2000)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 11:36 pm

Speaking of the early '00s, a lot of my favorites songs from back then now sound kind of dated, I guess the early part of this decade is beginning to get old.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 11:49 pm

It's late or mid 2001 to about early-mid 2003, centering around 2002. The last period of heavy popularity of nu metal, teen pop, and other late '90s trends, the period of 9/11 heightened patriotism and economic recession, reality TV peaking in popularity, Eminem, JLo, slutty dressing, velour tracksuits, and modified bubblegum like Pink and Avril Lavigne. It ended when 50 Cent and true emo/indiemo became popular, and reality TV started declining. Also, I think the "mid '00s" began additionally with The O.C. coming out in 2003, creating the conception of the '00s teen. 2003 was an important change year.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/06/06 at 11:55 pm

It's late or mid 2001 to about early-mid 2003, centering around 2002. The last period of heavy popularity of nu metal, teen pop, and other late '90s trends, the period of 9/11 heightened patriotism and economic recession, reality TV peaking in popularity, Eminem, JLo, slutty dressing, velour tracksuits, and modified bubblegum like Pink and Avril Lavigne. It ended when 50 Cent and true emo/indiemo became popular, and reality TV started declining. Also, I think the "mid '00s" began additionally with The O.C. coming out in 2003, creating the conception of the '00s teen. 2003 was an important change year.

I agree 2003 was a big change from 2002, 2 very different years. Not too much has changed in pop culture since mid-late 2003.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/06/06 at 11:57 pm

I agree 2003 was a big change from 2002, 2 very different years. Not too much has changed in pop culture since mid-late 2003.

Yeah, mid-late 2003 is when contemporary culture as new and interesting. I think most of the changes are just continuations of the things that started happening then: rise of hour-long dramedies, rise of materialistic teen culture, decline of slutty dressing, rise of glam rap. One of the few changes is the influence of reggaeton now as opposed to then.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 12:01 am

Yeah, mid-late 2003 is when contemporary culture as new and interesting. I think most of the changes are just continuations of the things that started happening then: rise of hour-long dramedies, rise of materialistic teen culture, decline of slutty dressing, rise of glam rap. One of the few changes is the influence of reggaeton now as opposed to then.

Yea 2003 is when it seemed to become all hip-hop, as opposed to rap just being pretty popular. You think there will be any change in 2007 with the late '00s kicking in, or will the mid '00s just drag on to the end of the decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 12:04 am

Yea 2003 is when it seemed to become all hip-hop, as opposed to rap just being pretty popular. You think there will be any change in 2007 with the late '00s kicking in, or will the mid '00s just drag on to the end of the decade?

I'm not sure. I think the mid-'00s will drag on in the mainstream, and will just gradually become blander. Maybe some reggaeton-glam rap-dancehall-new wave combination will crop up and be very big, or something. I can see heavy metal coming back a little in some form in the very late '00s. I think the underground will change from being hipster-dominated (and therefore, indiemo dominated) into being more late '80s or '90sish in character. If there were a change in 2007, what do you think it would be? I think alot of the generic '90s rock like Nickelback still floating around will die out.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 12:10 am

I'm not sure. I think the mid-'00s will drag on in the mainstream, and will just gradually become blander. Maybe some reggaeton-glam rap-dancehall-new wave combination will crop up and be very big, or something. I can see heavy metal coming back a little in some form in the very late '00s. I think the underground will change from being hipster-dominated (and therefore, indiemo dominated) into being more late '80s or '90sish in character. If there were a change in 2007, what do you think it would be? I think alot of the generic '90s rock like Nickelback still floating around will die out.

Yea I hope Nickelback dies out, I'm really sick of them putting out the same song over and over again. The mid '00s will die when crunk falls out of popularity in my opinion, because the crunk sounds really defines a lot of mid '00s era music. Hip-hop will still probably dominate mainstream, maybe fade a little, but in other styles than crunk. I guess it's hard to predict, but eventually people will get tired of it and want something new. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 12:56 am

Yea I hope Nickelback dies out, I'm really sick of them putting out the same song over and over again. The mid '00s will die when crunk falls out of popularity in my opinion, because the crunk sounds really defines a lot of mid '00s era music. Hip-hop will still probably dominate mainstream, maybe fade a little, but in other styles than crunk. I guess it's hard to predict, but eventually people will get tired of it and want something new. 

Yeah, I think all the emo/indiemo and crunk that's big right now will start taking a nosedive in 2007, but won't totally disappear until 2012 or so. Maybe crunk will fade away and generic modern R&B will assume popularity. I also think underground music will start to change from indiemo and "poser rock" towards being more college rock/alt rock-influenced again.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:10 am

Early 90s is 99/00 to early 2004...

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 12:48 pm

The early 2000's died in late 02. Boy bands died out for good, britney and aguilera were no longer relevant and being replaced by pop-punk icons like avril lavigne. Shows like Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Frasier were also on their last legs.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:09 pm

The early 2000's died in late 02. Boy bands died out for good, britney and aguilera were no longer relevant and being replaced by pop-punk icons like avril lavigne. Shows like Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, and Frasier were also on their last legs.

I think of Avril Lavigne as being something more "early '00s"...she didn't continue in popularity past 02-03, and is not a true '00s thing. She would not be making it big in 2006, and probably wouldn't even have done all that well in 2003-2004. She's a combination of bubblegum and grrl pop, maybe with a hint of emo.

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 1:54 pm

seemed like avril was tagged by the media as somebody who signaled the end for britney and the rest...but she never did much herself and probably wasn't the cause of the britney-boy band demise. but she was part of the bridge that got us to now.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 3:05 pm

seemed like avril was tagged by the media as somebody who signaled the end for britney and the rest...but she never did much herself and probably wasn't the cause of the britney-boy band demise. but she was part of the bridge that got us to now.

Yeah, she was transitional, even though she wasn't a genuine mid-'00s thing like 50 Cent, Beyonce, Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, etc. She seems like she's between Britney etc. and the emo of the mid-'00s.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/08/06 at 1:56 am

Yeah, I'd say 99-03 was the height of the "Millennial Pop Era". However 03 is when I noticed that singers like Britney, Christina, and Jessica were being replaced on the mix channels by the "neocrooners" like Norah Jones, Marroon 5, Josh Grogen, and Michael Bublay

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:24 am

Yeah, I'd say 99-03 was the height of the "Millennial Pop Era". However 03 is when I noticed that singers like Britney, Christina, and Jessica were being replaced on the mix channels by the "neocrooners" like Norah Jones, Marroon 5, Josh Grogen, and Michael Bublay

Yeah, the 'neo-crooners' as you call them, have always been around, but mainly in adult-contemparary circles. A feature of the early-mid 00s transitional period was the 'easy-listening' type acts like Maroon 5 and Michael Buble becoming popular with the young listeners.

Check for new replies or respond here...