inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Subgenres of emo

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 12:57 am

I'd say these are the types of emo:

Pop-emo: Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, etc. basically boy bands with guitars
Rock-emo: Fall Out Boy, Hawthorne Heights, Dashboard Confessional, most stereotypical emo
'90s emo: Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World, the so-called original emo
Eighties revivalist: The Killers, The Bravery, Bloc Party, Postal Service
Indiemo: Death Cab, Arcade Fire, etc. sort of falls between indie and eighties revivalist

Subject: Re: Subgenres of emo

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 12:58 am

Rock-emo: Fall Out Boy, Hawthorne Heights, Dashboard Confessional, most stereotypical emo
'90s emo: Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Jimmy Eat World, the so-called original emo
Indiemo: Death Cab, Arcade Fire, etc. sort of falls between indie and eighties revivalist

I like that list. I'd add Bright Eyes to the indiemo list.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/07/06 at 1:00 am

I don't recall them being around during the '90s.  I only remember them having 1 hit song and that was around the Summer of 2001

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 1:01 am

I don't recall them being around during the '90s.  I only remember them having 1 hit song and that was around the Summer of 2001

I think they formed in the '90s.  I guess by "'90s emo" i mean emo from before emo was popular.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:01 am

Seems about right, good list. Some of them are alright like Postal Service, Jimmy Eat World, Death Cab, and the Killers (though they aren't as emo as some of the others).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:02 am

I think they formed in the '90s.  I guess by "'90s emo" i mean emo from before emo was popular.

Premo...I wonder if Weezer counts.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:02 am

That's The Middle, it was actually Summer '02 I believe. I don't recall them really from the '90s either, but they probably formed then.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:03 am

Premo...I wonder if Weezer counts.

Some of Weezer's new stuff is emo like, so they might qualify.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:03 am

'80s revivalists' are true emo...they include British 80s revivalists like Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, the Darkness, Keane.etc which are very diverse, and range from hair metal revivalists - e.g. Darkness, to the Charlatans-inspired sound of Keane.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:04 am

'80s revivalists' are true emo...they include British 80s revivalists like Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, the Darkness, Keane.etc which are very diverse, and range from hair metal revivalists - e.g. Darkness, to the Charlatans-inspired sound of Keane.

Do you think Franz Ferdinand is emo?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:05 am

Exactly, that's what I'm saying, only a small proportion of '80s revivalist' have 'emo' leanings. FF is most unequivocably NOT one of them.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:09 am

Exactly, that's what I'm saying, only a small proportion of '80s revivalist' have 'emo' leanings. FF is most unequivocably NOT one of them.

Yeah...the '80s revivalists intersect with the emos, but mostly on the American side and not exclusively. Like the Strokes and the Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs aren't emo, for example. The Killers and the Postal Service most definitely are, though.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:11 am

Yeah...the '80s revivalists intersect with the emos, but mostly on the American side and not exclusively. Like the Strokes and the Yeah-Yeah-Yeahs aren't emo, for example. The Killers and the Postal Service most definitely are, though.

I wouldn't call the Bloc Party emo either...

Written By: chaka on 05/07/06 at 1:12 pm

I wouldn't call FF emo..

Written By: sonikuu on 05/07/06 at 4:17 pm

There are various subgenres when it comes to this type of thing.  However, I think the term Emo is way overused.  Good Charlotte is not Emo, their most well known song, "The Anthem" came out in 2002, before most people even knew the word Emo.  The Killers are not Emo.  Do Hawthorne Heights or My Chemical Romance have clear New Wave influences and construct songs that attempt to mimic 80's New Wave? Certainly not.  Also, Indie Rock is not Emo and there is little similarity between the two.

The word Emo is possibly the most overused term in music today.  It's used in a similar manner to the way Nu-Metal was used a few years ago.  Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Staind were all grouped under Nu-Metal, despite the fact that there are little similarities between them (Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park use rapping and DJs, Slipknot goes for the heavy metal getup, but is just plain terrible, and Staind is geared for the same people who like Nickelback).  Everything is now being lumped under Emo when many of these bands don't even sound the same at all.  As I like to say, Emo music is whiny and "emotional", but not all whiny and emotional music is Emo.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 4:45 pm

There are various subgenres when it comes to this type of thing.  However, I think the term Emo is way overused.  Good Charlotte is not Emo, their most well known song, "The Anthem" came out in 2002, before most people even knew the word Emo.  The Killers are not Emo.  Do Hawthorne Heights or My Chemical Romance have clear New Wave influences and construct songs that attempt to mimic 80's New Wave? Certainly not.  Also, Indie Rock is not Emo and there is little similarity between the two.

The word Emo is possibly the most overused term in music today.  It's used in a similar manner to the way Nu-Metal was used a few years ago.  Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Staind were all grouped under Nu-Metal, despite the fact that there are little similarities between them (Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park use rapping and DJs, Slipknot goes for the heavy metal getup, but is just plain terrible, and Staind is geared for the same people who like Nickelback).  Everything is now being lumped under Emo when many of these bands don't even sound the same at all.  As I like to say, Emo music is whiny and "emotional", but not all whiny and emotional music is Emo.

The music certainly isn't all that similar, but it appeals to the same subculture.

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/06 at 7:54 pm

I like that list. I'd add Bright Eyes to the indiemo list.

No, Bright Eyes is like Cat Power or Clap Your Hands and Say "Yeah"... Acoustic EMO.. it's a bit like IndieEMO, but it's not quite.

But that's a very good list.. well done, Donnie.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 8:39 pm

Not all '80s revivalist music falls into Emo.  The bands listed give you an idea of which ones I think do.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 8:53 pm

Not all '80s revivalist music falls into Emo.  The bands listed give you an idea of which ones I think do.

Another faux pas on my part. I meant to say that emo constitutes only a very small part of '80s revivalist' music.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/11/06 at 11:22 pm

Is My Chemical Romance emo?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 6:34 am

Yes, very.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/06 at 7:48 am

If that's the case I listen to alot of 'Indiemo' - anything from Modest Mouse to Arcade Fire to Elliott Smith. I don't listen to much of the others at all...some 90s goth-rock is ok, though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/12/06 at 8:51 am

If that's the case I listen to alot of 'Indiemo' - anything from Modest Mouse to Arcade Fire to Elliott Smith. I don't listen to much of the others at all...some 90s goth-rock is ok, though.

I don't consider Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, or Elliott Smith real indiemo, though they're closely related to it.

Written By: Apricot on 05/12/06 at 10:38 am

They're a form of EMO... between EMO Metal and EMO Rock.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/12/06 at 6:59 pm

Yes, very.

That is what i thought.....I think they are classified as scremo

Written By: Apricot on 05/12/06 at 7:49 pm

That is what i thought.....I think they are classified as scremo

"Screamo"? I think that's the best place to put them. That's about where most EMO Metal is anyway.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/12/06 at 11:41 pm

They're a form of EMO... between EMO Metal and EMO Rock.

They're like Atreyu meets Hawthorne Heights.

Check for new replies or respond here...