inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '00s Things in the '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:12 am

What '90s things do you think were so ahead of their time as to be considered '00s? IMO,

-Radiohead.
-Fugazi, Texas is the Reason, etc. ('90s emo.)
-Belle and Sebastian.

Subject: Re: '00s Things in the '90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:19 am

Jeff Buckley - his music was both timeless and more sophisticated for his time, and his influence was utterly huge, even though he only completely released one album. A classic case of the tragic genius, listening to songs like 'Dream Brother,' and 'Last Goodbye' bring a chill down my spine. Radiohead were one of the more technically sophisticated late 90s band - Paranoid Android is still mind-bogglingly complex and sprawling for a work today, yet no guitar riff, no note is out of place. It is sheer musical perfection. I also love Belle and Sebastian - even 'Tigermilk' released in 1996 sounds like like a 00s release. Very early 00s indie IMHO.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/07/06 at 10:16 am

I've always considered "Rage Against The Machine" to be far ahead of their time.  Their first album was released in November 1992.  Just take a listen to the songs on that Album and try and tell me that it sounds like anything else from 1992/1993.  It sounds alot more like something from 2001

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:10 pm

-Elliott Smith (he was around in the '90s but sounds more '00s), the same with Rufus Wainwright.
-The Matrix and American Pie (early '00s-type things from '99.)
-Eminem.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 8:51 pm

The Prodigy - the U.K. cross-over group were quite ahead of their time. Their 1994 single 'Voodoo People' sounded like it could have been made in the 00s.

Written By: Stompgal on 05/08/06 at 7:50 am

The Internet

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 11:32 am

The Internet

Ditto! Although dial-up is very 1990s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 2:12 pm

Jeff Buckley - his music was both timeless and more sophisticated for his time, and his influence was utterly huge, even though he only completely released one album. A classic case of the tragic genius, listening to songs like 'Dream Brother,' and 'Last Goodbye' bring a chill down my spine. Radiohead were one of the more technically sophisticated late 90s band - Paranoid Android is still mind-bogglingly complex and sprawling for a work today, yet no guitar riff, no note is out of place. It is sheer musical perfection. I also love Belle and Sebastian - even 'Tigermilk' released in 1996 sounds like like a 00s release. Very early 00s indie IMHO.

Both Belle and Sebastian and Radiohead are really more '00s bands, though Radiohead's first two releases have more of a "'90s style." Elliott Smith is the same way, so is Neutral Milk Hotel. It all fits in better with the '00s than the '90s.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/08/06 at 7:40 pm

The reason why Radiohead is more 00's than 90's is because their music was definitely outside the norm.  Just listen to their album OK Computer and try to tell that it sounds like it was released in 1997.  Radiohead were way ahead of their time.  Another reason why they're more 00's than 90's is because their influence on modern Indie Rock is HUGE.  A lot of people think Indie Rock is influenced by 80's music, but I'd say a good portion of them are actually influenced by Radiohead and trying to make the next OK Computer.  Actually, a lot of British bands in the 90's have aged quite well, such as Oasis.

Oh, and has anyone here heard of Tool?  Their sound was also outside the norm and, while they were not Nu-Metal themselves, influenced some of the Nu-Metal of the early 00's.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 8:48 pm

The reason why Radiohead is more 00's than 90's is because their music was definitely outside the norm.  Just listen to their album OK Computer and try to tell that it sounds like it was released in 1997.  Radiohead were way ahead of their time.  Another reason why they're more 00's than 90's is because their influence on modern Indie Rock is HUGE.  A lot of people think Indie Rock is influenced by 80's music, but I'd say a good portion of them are actually influenced by Radiohead and trying to make the next OK Computer.  Actually, a lot of British bands in the 90's have aged quite well, such as Oasis.

Oh, and has anyone here heard of Tool?  Their sound was also outside the norm and, while they were not Nu-Metal themselves, influenced some of the Nu-Metal of the early 00's.

I used to like Tool quite a bit, actually. Most indie rock today seems to either be rooted in the '80s or in stuff like Radiohead, Belle and Sebastian, and the Verve, non-American '90s indie. There isn't all that much '90s about OK Computer, even though their first two have that residual, grunge-y '90s style to them.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 9:17 pm

Both Belle and Sebastian and Radiohead are really more '00s bands, though Radiohead's first two releases have more of a "'90s style." Elliott Smith is the same way, so is Neutral Milk Hotel. It all fits in better with the '00s than the '90s.

I would only half agree with Elliott Smith. I think his music sounds timeless; like a great musical statement that transcends categorisation into 'decade music.' Garrulous social commentators always like to pigeonhole great artists into 'eras', but Elliott is an incarnation of the timeless tortured genius.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 9:19 pm

I would only half agree with Elliott Smith. I think his music sounds timeless; like a great musical statement that transcends categorisation into 'decade music.' Garrulous social commentators always like to pigeonhole great artists into 'eras', but Elliott is an incarnation of the timeless tortured genius.

I don't know him well, but other artists I'd put into that category were Joni Mitchell, Prince, Madonna (her stuff doesn't sound constrained by the '80s, really), Michael Jackson, Tori Amos, and John Lennon.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 9:40 pm

I don't know him well, but other artists I'd put into that category were Joni Mitchell, Prince, Madonna (her stuff doesn't sound constrained by the '80s, really), Michael Jackson, Tori Amos, and John Lennon.

Tori Amos sounds too much like Kate Bush to me...a touch operatic, a touch ott, she's not as original as many thought her to be in the 90s. But nonetheless, one of the better things happening to music. M.J.'s music never really sounded 80s or early 90s: it seemed to have its 'own sound' which seems a surprisingly indie trait.

Check for new replies or respond here...