inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your Favourite Genre of Music?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:28 am

What's your favourite genre of current (late 90s and 00s) music? Mine would be 'Experimental Pop' - i.e. music that is essentially in melodic sensibility/arrangement, yet adventurous in terms of the TYPE of melody (i.e. more 'foreign' sounding), yet still pop, in terms of instrumentation/song structure.eg. Niche groups like Pink Martini (a Jazz/latin, pop fusion group), to the Polyphonic Spree (ochestral 'feel good' pop), Augie March, New Buffalo.etc.

Subject: Re: Your Favourite Genre of Music?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:31 am

I usually listen to what I hear on the radio, so I guess pop/hip-hop.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/07/06 at 1:34 am

Classic Rock/Oldies

I listen to 97.1 FM and 100.1 FM down here A LOT.  In fact, I probably listen to it more than I would any other station catering to any other genre.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 1:36 am

I'd say Indie rock.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:37 am

At first glance my music tastes would appear somewhat incompatible and divergent. I like artists as diverse as ABBA to the Doors, Tripping Daisy to Sarah Blasko, The Strokes to Nirvana. I never really think about Genres - just listen to what I like.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:40 am

I actually like everything from Nirvana to Ciara, lol. I'm very diverse in what I listen to. I can almost listen to anything, except Ms New Booty.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:47 am

I actually like everything from Nirvana to Ciara, lol. I'm very diverse in what I listen to. I can almost listen to anything, except Ms New Booty.  ;D

Except manufactured hip-hop/emo cheese and Top 40...

Well, there are genres I don't like too much.

Contemparary rap/hip-hop (90s gangsta rap is better), boring improvisational jazz, 'emo', alot of punk, death metal sort of music, boy bands.etc

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/07/06 at 1:52 am

Except manufactured hip-hop/emo cheese and Top 40...

Well, there are genres I don't like too much.

Contemparary rap/hip-hop (90s gangsta rap is better), boring improvisational jazz, 'emo', alot of punk, death metal sort of music, boy bands.etc

I like a lot of the top 40 stuff. Actually you would probably call a lot what I listen to "crap", lol. I like a decent amount of rap, but some of it does annoy me. I listen to good music as well, also I listen to a lot of '90s hits. Boy bands kinda suck, though I liked some of that stuff back in 2000 or so.

Written By: chaka on 05/07/06 at 1:55 am

Grunge, Punk Rock, Riot Grrrl.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 1:58 am

I also like melodies which are wistful, sentimental, nostalgic...no one did then better than Brian Wilson, but his modern day equivalent was probably Elliott Smith (I know, the two couldn't be further apart musically).

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/06 at 7:57 pm

Indiepop takes the cake, but Goth (the non-metal crap) and Avant-Garde/Avant-Garde Rock are close seconds.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 6:05 am

Indiepop takes the cake, but Goth (the non-metal crap) and Avant-Garde/Avant-Garde Rock are close seconds.

I also like the little known 'Punk Cabaret' movement - sort of associated with more avant-garde, arty forms of goth (i.e. ones that aren't just music set to lyrics screaming 'I just slit my wrist, gonna die, doesn't matter, cos the world hates me.' The Dresden Dolls are the most visible proponent of this genre.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 6:46 am

What about current Indie/alternative vs Oldies pop/classic rock? That's an interesting comparison.

Written By: Darkbreed on 05/09/06 at 3:50 pm

Punk ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 05/09/06 at 5:03 pm

I don't like the term Classic rock because your putting Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath
in the same category as Don McLean and Paul McCartney, but thats what I listen to.

I also like newer Goth Metal, not the screaming goth, I hate screamers.I like a real heavy
sound with very macabre vocals. Evanescense is a band I like and some Shroud Of Tears.

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/06 at 6:27 pm

Apart from certain British Rock bands, I mainly listen to Techno and Dance music.  Everything else in the charts is crap

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/09/06 at 9:20 pm

uhh kinda indie/alternative

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 9:35 pm

Alot of people like 'Indie/alternative' but 'Indie' is almost as diverse as 'mainstream' music, if not more.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/09/06 at 11:00 pm

Right now it's nu-metal, grunge, and hair metal.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 11:11 pm

Good to see you're still living in the 90s!

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/09/06 at 11:15 pm

I like grunge and nu metal, not so much into hair metal but it's alright.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/10/06 at 3:06 am

Alot of people like 'Indie/alternative' but 'Indie' is almost as diverse as 'mainstream' music, if not more.
It's mainstream and cool to be indie right now.  :D

I don't have a favourite genre. I just go with what I like. I suppose... put me down for "rock". Although that is a very wide genre.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 3:09 am

It's mainstream and cool to be indie right now.  :D

'Indie' is selling out, but true Indie is as strong as ever.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/10/06 at 3:28 am

I don't like the term Classic rock because your putting Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath
in the same category as Don McLean and Paul McCartney, but thats what I listen to.

Well, what I call classic rock is anything after about 1967 and up to about 1980.  Oldies is 50s to about 1966.  I base it primarily on what the two stations I listen to the most put in their playlists.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 4:14 am

Well, what I call classic rock is anything after about 1967 and up to about 1980.  Oldies is 50s to about 1966.  I base it primarily on what the two stations I listen to the most put in their playlists.

Most overplayed songs in Classic FM Radio;

Stairway to Heaven
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Eagles - Hotel California
Boston - More Than a Feeling
Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

Written By: Criz on 05/10/06 at 9:21 am

Of this era, it has to be indie.

I know there's all this talk about Indie selling out, and that indie is pop - but if you like that sort of music then it shouldn't bother you. I hate the fact that when a band is unknown people think they're cool, then when they get a hit single - all of a sudden they're classed as rubbish! I've been guilty of it in the past - but only when a band has changed direction and has become popular beacuse of it so I'll moan if I don't like that direction!! (whoa-long sentence!) Bands shouldn't have to be underground to be cool, although sometimes it's better when the good bands are overplayed :P

Check for new replies or respond here...