inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Define 2006 Fashion

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 12:36 pm

Somewhere we seemed to reach a turning point that I didn't notice. All the baggy pants, hug puffy sweatshirts, FUBU, Tommy etc, huge winter jackets, backwards red baseball caps (think fred durst 1999) seems to be going extinct....you still see it at a younger level though (that's where fashion trends die last...I remember mullets still being quite common in my school around 1995)

It's gradually been replace by neo-70's. flip flops, tight shirts with shorter sleeves, tighter, longer pants (often to the point where your pant curls under the shoe, where you end up constantly stepping on your own pants) aviator glasses, samba soccer shoes. Longer hairstyles are now in...the super short preppie buzz cut with the front flipped up is now out...what else am I missing?

when did this change occur, and what caused it?

Subject: Re: Define 2006 Fashion

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:15 pm

Somewhere we seemed to reach a turning point that I didn't notice. All the baggy pants, hug puffy sweatshirts, FUBU, Tommy etc, huge winter jackets, backwards red baseball caps (think fred durst 1999) seems to be going extinct....you still see it at a younger level though (that's where fashion trends die last...I remember mullets still being quite common in my school around 1995)

It's gradually been replace by neo-70's. flip flops, tight shirts with shorter sleeves, tighter, longer pants (often to the point where your pant curls under the shoe, where you end up constantly stepping on your own pants) aviator glasses, samba soccer shoes. Longer hairstyles are now in...the super short preppie buzz cut with the front flipped up is now out...what else am I missing?

when did this change occur, and what caused it?

I think all those fashion trends started disappearing for teens in 2003-2004, the nu metal-Eminem-Avril Lavigne generation styles. I think what's replacing it is an '80s redux with some '70s touches. You see alot of sweaters and scarves, totebags used instead of backpacks or tiny purses, subdued colors like olive/brown/salmon, shaggy hairstyles on both girls and guys, the "boho" look of heavily layered, sweeping clothing on girls, tight pants, layered polo shirts and tight sweaters on guys, corduroy, spandex leggings, huge boots, ruffled miniskirts, big shoulders, half-jackets, etc. Sort of the "boho"/heavily detailed look is one look for girls, another is the indiemo, and another is the preppie.

Written By: chaka on 05/07/06 at 1:20 pm

Somewhere we seemed to reach a turning point that I didn't notice. All the baggy pants, hug puffy sweatshirts, FUBU, Tommy etc, huge winter jackets, backwards red baseball caps (think fred durst 1999) seems to be going extinct....

that doesn't seem to be the case here in Luxembourg,hip hop fashion is still going strong here with no signs of dying out just yet.
On the other hand you do see more guys with long(ish) hair,sorta indiemo.

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 1:28 pm

I didn't really touch on womens fashion, but the boho look is definitely in, popularized by kate moss, sienna miller, olsen sisters etc. But you still see alot of the ankle cutoff cargo pants that were popular from 1999-2004, though even they're dying out now.

also I don't see quite as many trucker hats being worn by guys, and this was a huge fad. it seems to have died abruptly

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 1:30 pm

I didn't really touch on womens fashion, but the boho look is definitely in, popularized by kate moss, sienna miller, olsen sisters etc. But you still see alot of the ankle cutoff cargo pants that were popular from 1999-2004, though even they're dying out now.

also I don't see quite as many trucker hats being worn by guys, and this was a huge fad. it seems to have died abruptly

You still see 'em, but I think it started dying out in late '05 for more normal baseball caps.

Written By: 1993 on 05/07/06 at 1:53 pm

You still see 'em, but I think it started dying out in late '05 for more normal baseball caps.

true, but I don't think it's just normal baseball caps...but more super worn beat up hats. people used to buy new hats when they got old, stained, ripped. now the broken in hat seems popular.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 2:08 pm

true, but I don't think it's just normal baseball caps...but more super worn beat up hats. people used to buy new hats when they got old, stained, ripped. now the broken in hat seems popular.

Also, those caps worn high off the head with a little brim in olive green or light brown are big right now for guys.

Written By: chaka on 05/07/06 at 2:09 pm

Converse and Vans are still very popular.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 3:04 pm

Moccasins, beaded ballet slippers, IZOD-type sneakers, Diesels, Birkie clogs, and Pumas seem to have increasing popularity.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 8:55 pm

Long hair for guys is definitely making a comback. Me suspects it has alot to do with the 'mainstreamization' of indie-culture/the 'cool' indie/muso look. And the 80s retro look is also slowly creeping into fashion as well.

Written By: Apricot on 05/07/06 at 8:59 pm

Wow.. we have the entire year of 1993 posting! Sweeeeeet.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 9:07 pm

Yeah, '80s retro is going to start bleeding over from the runways to the high schools and malls any second now.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 9:52 pm

Mop-top hair is very 2005.

Check for new replies or respond here...