inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music Today That Sounds Purposely Dated/Retro

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/07/06 at 9:20 pm

90s retro - Half the singer-songwriters out there, Pearl Jam/RHCP's music still sounds very 90s, Coldplay (imitating Radiohead/Jeff Buckley).
80s retro - Postal Service, Killers, Kaiser Chiefs, Franz Ferdinand, Youth Group (though it was a cover), Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Darkness, Audio Bullys.
70s retro - Scissors Sisters, The Strokes (late punk influences), Mylo,
60s retro - the Magic Numbers (sort of), folkies like Joanna Newsome, Mia Dyson.etc.

List any other groups/genres you think are deliberately trying to imitate retro styles...

Subject: Re: Music Today That Sounds Purposely Dated/Retro

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 9:50 pm

Nothing is more '00s than sounding '60s, '70s, '80s, or '90s.  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 10:15 pm

I think you can say most emo thinks it's either the Cure or the Smiths, or maybe hardcore punk (about 1985 or so), most indie rock thinks it's still 1983, and the Raveonettes think it's 1963. I think most of the '90s-sounding stuff is just leftovers, not deliberate imitation. I don't know where Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie fall in...I think they're sort of Smiths-y, in a way.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/07/06 at 11:47 pm

I think you can say most emo thinks it's either the Cure or the Smiths, or maybe hardcore punk (about 1985 or so), most indie rock thinks it's still 1983, and the Raveonettes think it's 1963. I think most of the '90s-sounding stuff is just leftovers, not deliberate imitation. I don't know where Bright Eyes, Death Cab for Cutie fall in...I think they're sort of Smiths-y, in a way.

I think Postal Service are pretty original though ... it's hard not to connect them with '80s music, but at the same time they don't seem like a complete knockoff of New Wave.

Check for new replies or respond here...