inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Life Expectancy of the Generations

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/08/06 at 10:07 pm

How long do you think the various generations will live? I'd say the Boomers will live about 100 years on average.  The Xers maybe 110 years. Gen Y will probably score around 120 years. Gen Z, maybe 150.

Subject: Re: Life Expectancy of the Generations

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/08/06 at 10:56 pm

:|

EH!?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 5:16 am

Life expectancy is something which has always confused me. 'Supposedly', babies born in Australia today will live on average 77 years if you're male, and 82 years if you're female...yet most oldies born in the 1920s and 1930s when life-expectancy was in the low 60s are living to that age. So with medical advances, I predict the average age of death for my generation excluding premature deaths will be about 90 for males and slightly higher for females, with the gap diminishing slightly. 100+ seems optimistic, although with the pace of medical advances who knows. At any rate, it's much better than the 40-something median of the 1890s or many countries in the Third World.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/06 at 5:17 am

120? I'll be happy if I hit 80!  :D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/09/06 at 5:19 am

120? I'll be happy if I hit 80!  :D
Scratch that...

I'll be happy if I make it til tomorrow!  8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 12:22 pm

How long do you think the various generations will live? I'd say the Boomers will live about 100 years on average.  The Xers maybe 110 years. Gen Y will probably score around 120 years. Gen Z, maybe 150.

I don't think this has much relevance, people way overrate life expectancy. People forget about the incurables like heart disease, cancer, etc., and a general bad lifestyle. I don't think they'll change all that much. Maybe 90 for Gen Y.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/09/06 at 12:26 pm

I don't know if humans will ever be living 150 years, maybe one day but it's much farther off than gen z living an average of 150. Ultimately I think average lifespan may creep up to around 90 by the end of the century, it is only like 77 now.

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 3:45 am

Life expectancy is something which has always confused me. 'Supposedly', babies born in Australia today will live on average 77 years if you're male, and 82 years if you're female...yet most oldies born in the 1920s and 1930s when life-expectancy was in the low 60s are living to that age. So with medical advances, I predict the average age of death for my generation excluding premature deaths will be about 90 for males and slightly higher for females, with the gap diminishing slightly. 100+ seems optimistic, although with the pace of medical advances who knows. At any rate, it's much better than the 40-something median of the 1890s or many countries in the Third World.

But you forget that your life expectancy changes the older you get.  Your life expectancy at birth is calculated to take account of all children who die within the first two years (which used to be quite a high proportion of all live births) and the numbers who don't live past their teens and early twenties (another 'dangerous' time).  Once you've survived those two periods your life expectancy increases.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 4:13 am

But you forget that your life expectancy changes the older you get.  Your life expectancy at birth is calculated to take account of all children who die within the first two years (which used to be quite a high proportion of all live births) and the numbers who don't live past their teens and early twenties (another 'dangerous' time).  Once you've survived those two periods your life expectancy increases.

Yeah? I didn't think that premature death was that big a factor in developed countries. I also think your 50s are quite dangerous, as it sees the highest incidence of cancer like breast cancer, prostate cancer.etc.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/06 at 10:12 am

I don't know if humans will ever be living 150 years, maybe one day but it's much farther off than gen z living an average of 150. Ultimately I think average lifespan may creep up to around 90 by the end of the century, it is only like 77 now.

Didn't geneticists prove that human DNA stops replicating at about 110 years, or some sh!t? (sorry, been watching "Sopranos")
My gramps lived to be 100. Do I want to live that long? No way! And gramps was one of the healthier geriatric specimens. No major systemic malfunctions. He celebrated his century mark in September, and then withered up and died of congestive heart failure four months later. There are soooo many octogenerians and nonagenerians alive today, but the majority of them are on at least ten heavy-duty pharmaceuticals trying to battle one or more systemic collapses. I'm not sure if the centenarian thing is the right way for Westerners to go. Maybe it works for some yogurt-eating Hunzas on the steppes of Pakistan, but in Ft. Lauderdale? I dunno. Maybe the Old Testament was right on this one. Three-score and ten, and then hang it up.

Perhaps if we could splice our aging gene with that of the turtle, we could live 200 years. How about we splice our genes with the Bristlecone pine? Then we could live 5,000 years! Muahahahaha!

Check for new replies or respond here...