inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things you dislike about Gen Y and Gen Yers

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 5:36 am

If you're Gen Y, what things about Generation Y or Generation Y people really annoy you? One thing is the lack of geniune 'self expression' and a sense of reservation/inhibition. Where are the wild characters of the swingin' 60s? Another is there hypocrisy: on one hand materialist, one hand appearing to be 'concerned' about the world. I fear that Gen Y are actually quite an apathetic generation; almost as bad as Gen X when it comes to caring about the world (well, I can't speak really myself). Any others?

Subject: Re: Things you dislike about Gen Y and Gen Yers

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 12:23 pm

If you're Gen Y, what things about Generation Y or Generation Y people really annoy you? One thing is the lack of geniune 'self expression' and a sense of reservation/inhibition. Where are the wild characters of the swingin' 60s? Another is there hypocrisy: on one hand materialist, one hand appearing to be 'concerned' about the world. I fear that Gen Y are actually quite an apathetic generation; almost as bad as Gen X when it comes to caring about the world (well, I can't speak really myself). Any others?

-Overly self-absorbed.
-Searching for true sense of identity.
-Use logic and emotion negatively on one another.
-Not aware of anything but themselves.
-Overly depressed.
-Apathetic.
-Materialistic to the point of disgust.

Written By: 5.19.86 on 05/09/06 at 4:40 pm

-Overly self-absorbed.
-Overly depressed.
-Apathetic.

Bingo.

I'm often annoyed by Gen Y'ers

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 5:05 pm

Bingo.

I'm often annoyed by Gen Y'ers

I think we have a problem of admitting things being wrong, and thinking that's enough. We don't bother to do anything to fix it. This applies on both a personal and an intrapersonal level. Also, most of us seem to strive to be very, very rich.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/09/06 at 5:25 pm

-Overly self-absorbed.
-Overly depressed.
-Apathetic.

Yea I agree with a lot of that. Especially ignorance of the outside world and being so materialistic.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/09/06 at 8:10 pm

-Overly self-absorbed.
-Overly depressed.
-Apathetic.

I honestly don't see what you mean by overly depressed.  Most Gen Yers seem to be quite happy and content.  Being overly depressed is more Generation X than anything.  Apathetic is another thing that describes both generations.  Really, I think Generation Y is, in many ways, just a more 'happy' version of Gen X, which results in the materialism and stuff.  I do think a lot of this comes from their Baby Boomer parents, who were the yuppies of the 1980's.  Luckily, my parents are Gen X, albeit early Gen X (Dad born in 1965, Mom in 1966, Me in 1989) and they also don't have the overprotectiveness many Gen X seem to possess.

To be honest though, Gen Y probably isn't that different from previous generations.  People seem to think that the youngest generation is so different from them, often for the worst.  However, the generations are often times more closer than they appear.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 9:26 pm

I honestly don't see what you mean by overly depressed.  Most Gen Yers seem to be quite happy and content.  Being overly depressed is more Generation X than anything.  Apathetic is another thing that describes both generations.  Really, I think Generation Y is, in many ways, just a more 'happy' version of Gen X, which results in the materialism and stuff.  I do think a lot of this comes from their Baby Boomer parents, who were the yuppies of the 1980's.  Luckily, my parents are Gen X, albeit early Gen X (Dad born in 1965, Mom in 1966, Me in 1989) and they also don't have the overprotectiveness many Gen X seem to possess.

To be honest though, Gen Y probably isn't that different from previous generations.  People seem to think that the youngest generation is so different from them, often for the worst.  However, the generations are often times more closer than they appear.

If anything, the Gen Xers I've met seem to be overly obsessed with being nontraditional and rebellious in every way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 9:34 pm

If anything, the Gen Xers I've met seem to be overly obsessed with being nontraditional and rebellious in every way.

I would argue it is the opposite, with Generation Y being more conformist, less 'radical' and 'unconventional' in many ways. Most of them actually agree with alot of things there parents are telling them. They study hard, try to live a 'balanced' life, appear to be 'socially moderate'. Although I do think Gen Y has a whole are ruefully unconcerned with politics (which is probably a good thing), and though materialistic, are searching for some sort of 'meaning' in their consumerist society. They are materialistic, but not as much so as Generation X.

Being morose (deliberate and otherwise) and always boasting about how bad your life was seems to be a Gen X and Gen Y trait. Generation Y are both the most cynical and naive generation, a little too self-assured and smug in there position as the new 'emerging youth.' Many of our young idols are now Gen Y: from Beyonce, to Paris Hilton, Mischa Barton.etc. And I think what we are is what these role-models represent.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 9:35 pm

I would argue it is the opposite, with Generation Y being more conformist, less 'radical' and 'unconventional' in many ways. Most of them actually agree with alot of things there parents are telling them. They study hard, try to live a 'balanced' life, appear to be 'socially moderate'. Although I do think Gen Y has a whole are ruefully unconcerned with politics (which is probably a good thing), and though materialistic, are searching for some sort of 'meaning' in their consumerist society. They are materialistic, but not as much so as Generation X.

Being morose (deliberate and otherwise) and always boasting about how bad your life was seems to be a Gen X and Gen Y trait. Generation Y are both the most cynical and naive generation, a little too self-assured and smug in there position as the new 'emerging youth.' Many of our young idols are now Gen Y: from Beyonce, to Paris Hilton, Mischa Barton.etc. And I think what we are is what these role-models represent.

i.e. Materialism. I actually think we're more secure in our materialism than Gen X, by far. I was talking about Gen X, not Gen Y, in that post...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 9:41 pm

Gen X was sort of looking to come to terms with their modern emptiness and angry about it. We're just empty and either sort of celebrating it or being melancholy and not enjoying life all that much.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 9:43 pm

Yeah, at least we're not two-faced about it. We admit our goals in life are to have a successful career, job.etc. I think 'traditional' marriages will not decline as much as it would appear, but there will be a greater variety of relationship types. Interracial marriage will increase even more - even though some will quietly disapprove of this trend, and I sense a small boom in birth rates about 2008-2009, breaking the trend of decreasing birth-rates.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 9:44 pm

I think we've come to accept that the 2000s will be full of 'emptiness', but welcome the benefits of improved standard of living, technology, social progression.etc to compensate.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 9:52 pm

I think we've come to accept that the 2000s will be full of 'emptiness', but welcome the benefits of improved standard of living, technology, social progression.etc to compensate.

Our standard of living isn't really all that improved from the mid-'90s. The poor and middle-class are actually worse off in alot of ways.

I think we'll be a second "Silent Generation", the group of people born about 1930-1945 who started out leading very conservative, A-okay married lives, and then got caught up in the late '60s and '70s in free love and caused the high divorce rates and latchkey childhoods Gen Xers grew up with. In other words, we'll have huge, catastrophic midlife crises.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 9:59 pm

Our standard of living isn't really all that improved from the mid-'90s. The poor and middle-class are actually worse off in alot of ways.

I think we'll be a second "Silent Generation", the group of people born about 1930-1945 who started out leading very conservative, A-okay married lives, and then got caught up in the late '60s and '70s in free love and caused the high divorce rates and latchkey childhoods Gen Xers grew up with. In other words, we'll have huge, catastrophic midlife crises.

What a depressing thought!

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 10:02 pm

What a depressing thought!

True, but depressing, probably.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 10:07 pm

True, but depressing, probably.

In a way our 'Great Depression' was the stock-market crash in the late 80s throughout most of the World, but also the sobering effect of increasing globalisation, War on Terror.etc. I think what our generation is seeking is a revolution; something to rebel against, something to fight for. At the moment, nothing's doing it for us. Perhaps an anti-tech backlash?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 10:07 pm

In a way our 'Great Depression' was the stock-market crash in the late 80s throughout most of the World, but also the sobering effect of increasing globalisation, War on Terror.etc. I think what our generation is seeking is a revolution; something to rebel against, something to fight for. At the moment, nothing's doing it for us. Perhaps an anti-tech backlash?

Probably. But it'll be the next generation that does it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 10:12 pm

Probably. But it'll be the next generation that does it.

Do you predict a sort of 'Blade Runner' scenario in the next 30-40 years? I think there's actually validity in that vision of the future.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/10/06 at 12:45 am

The general trust of authority Gen Y has.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 2:37 am

The general trust of authority Gen Y has.

What do you think about it?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 9:31 am

If 1988 is the token Gen Y year, then I dislike the 'materialism' that seems prevalent in people born after about 1987 (not stereotyping) - mainly through parental/societal influences, increasing academic pressure. I think my generation was the last to truly escape the 'new school' approach to education - the 'outcomes based' thingie which will make 'competition' a thing of the past, and value skills like communication, handling of information. That is a major divider between the educational backgrounds of early gen ys and later ys.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 4:17 pm

If 1988 is the token Gen Y year, then I dislike the 'materialism' that seems prevalent in people born after about 1987 (not stereotyping) - mainly through parental/societal influences, increasing academic pressure. I think my generation was the last to truly escape the 'new school' approach to education - the 'outcomes based' thingie which will make 'competition' a thing of the past, and value skills like communication, handling of information. That is a major divider between the educational backgrounds of early gen ys and later ys.

Maybe in Australia, alot of early '90s books were published about this sort of thing in the US with early Gen Yers.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:53 am

Maybe in Australia, alot of early '90s books were published about this sort of thing in the US with early Gen Yers.

Kids today will be involved more academically-related extra-curricular activites like tuition, and less general social groups like team sports, boy scounts.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 5:37 am

Kids today will be involved more academically-related extra-curricular activites like tuition, and less general social groups like team sports, boy scounts.etc.

I know team sports are still popular where I am...boy scouts, not sure about.

Check for new replies or respond here...