inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Themes"

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/13/06 at 1:39 am

Ok, I've already gone through pages 135 down to 95 and notice that there seems to be certain common threads that like to be posted. Some of the most common include.....

-Favorite xxxx of 200x
-Somebody vs Somebody
-Something: On the way out or latest fad?
-What is Gen Y?
-Name of this decade?

I'm sure I'll uncover more as I comb through more. Anymore common themes you've noticed?

Subject: Re: "Themes"

Written By: sonikuu on 05/13/06 at 3:00 am

Don't forget topics about Emo and topics about people complaining about the 00's. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/06 at 9:53 am

-Favorite xxxx of 200x

Don't forget topics about Emo and topics about people complaining about the 00's. 

There are like zillions of these topics, and they are all the same

Written By: Apricot on 05/13/06 at 10:11 am

I'm sure I'll uncover more as I comb through more. Anymore common themes you've noticed?

You got the list well, but here's one you missed:

"Why Is Everyone Who Likes Any Of These Bands Such A Douchebag?"

There are at least 4 threads specifically for this, most of which were made in the past few weeks.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/14/06 at 1:47 am

Yeah, I noticed topics about Emo prevailing at another forum as well. I know it's a "NextGen" music style, but what exactly is Emo?

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/06 at 11:10 am

Yeah, I noticed topics about Emo prevailing at another forum as well. I know it's a "NextGen" music style, but what exactly is Emo?

An effiminate style of punk pop, usually more acoustic, very focused on emotions in the lyrics, usually very deepy love or sadness. Not always sad, usually true EMO is overtly sad, almost in a happy pining sort of a way. There are many variants, including a harder, metal-like version you get from bands like Atreyu and My Chemical Romance, there's also a less acoustic, more lyrical "Indie" version which includes Cat Power, or Clap Your Hands And Say "Yeah" and other such lyrically focused "sad" bands.

EMO is frequently associated with hipster culture. However, this has caused all bands even slightly affiliated with hipster culture (Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, etc.) have been assimiliated into the sweeping "EMO" definition, which has (unfairly) become interchangeable with the word "Indie".. for most people, both are roughly equivalent to "pseudo-intellectual bastard".

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 1:24 pm

An effiminate style of punk pop, usually more acoustic, very focused on emotions in the lyrics, usually very deepy love or sadness. Not always sad, usually true EMO is overtly sad, almost in a happy pining sort of a way. There are many variants, including a harder, metal-like version you get from bands like Atreyu and My Chemical Romance, there's also a less acoustic, more lyrical "Indie" version which includes Cat Power, or Clap Your Hands And Say "Yeah" and other such lyrically focused "sad" bands.

EMO is frequently associated with hipster culture. However, this has caused all bands even slightly affiliated with hipster culture (Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, etc.) have been assimiliated into the sweeping "EMO" definition, which has (unfairly) become interchangeable with the word "Indie".. for most people, both are roughly equivalent to "pseudo-intellectual bastard".

Bright Eyes is EMO, there's no denying it. I don't think Modest Mouse is. I used to like indie rock, ever since it sort of neo-merged with emoness it's turned into one blob of "pseudo-intellectual bastard."

Written By: Apricot on 05/14/06 at 4:11 pm

Bright Eyes is EMO, there's no denying it. I don't think Modest Mouse is. I used to like indie rock, ever since it sort of neo-merged with emoness it's turned into one blob of "pseudo-intellectual bastard."

I think he's about half and half... he's got the EMO style most of the time, yet has shown some strong potential in non-EMO-ness... A lot like Modest Mouse.. it depends on what album you're hearing.. his new stuff is undeniably EMO, "Lifted" is a very disputeable album.

Indie Rock annoys me, it always has... it's either EMO or a blatant Beatles rip-off nearly every time. Indiepop is still a good genre.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 5:30 pm

I think he's about half and half... he's got the EMO style most of the time, yet has shown some strong potential in non-EMO-ness... A lot like Modest Mouse.. it depends on what album you're hearing.. his new stuff is undeniably EMO, "Lifted" is a very disputeable album.

Indie Rock annoys me, it always has... it's either EMO or a blatant Beatles rip-off nearly every time. Indiepop is still a good genre.

Yeah, current indie rock is pretty bad. It's either, as you said, a blatant Beatles rip-off, emo, or a rip-off of Joy Division/New Order, the Smiths, or the Talking Heads. I think Fevers and Mirrors wasn't all that emo. But Lifted is the holy grail of emo hipsters.

Check for new replies or respond here...