inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do you think 2007 will be like?

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/13/06 at 11:49 am

So what do you think next year will be like? I think the first half will continue to be like the later half of this year (lame), but I think the later half of '07 will improve when more electronic and dance music will rise on the charts.

Subject: Re: What do you think 2007 will be like?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/13/06 at 3:06 pm

I think '06-'07 will be the absolute nadir of the '00s, and the last year glam rap is really popular. Then, around '07-'08 (my senior year of high school), some new form of alternative rock inspired by the late '80s and early '90s (i.e. Sonic Youth, Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, etc.), singer-songwriters, and alot of dance and electronica type stuff will come back. And glam rap will start fading away for hip-hop inspired R&B dance pop.

Written By: Apricot on 05/13/06 at 9:41 pm

Same as 2006, with something slightly less annoying culturally then Green Day.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/13/06 at 9:43 pm

I don't know, maybe better than 06.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 10:14 pm

Folk-rock and soft rock will become more popular, with a greater emphasis on melody and maybe harmony. The Magic Numbers, Joanna Newsome, maybe even Belle and Sebastian - that slightly antiquated style which reach its zenith in 2007, which will be a less 'full on materialist' style than 2002-2005.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/13/06 at 10:23 pm

Too be honest: very much the same as 2006. Only real difference will be numbers when writing out dates.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/13/06 at 11:21 pm

Too be honest: very much the same as 2006. Only real difference will be numbers when writing out dates.

2007 will really mark the 'late' 00s...the 00s seem so much shorter than the 90s, for some reason. Like the change between 00 to 07 wasn't that great, whereas from 1990 to 1997 was so different.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/13/06 at 11:30 pm

2007 will really mark the 'late' 00s...the 00s seem so much shorter than the 90s, for some reason. Like the change between 00 to 07 wasn't that great, whereas from 1990 to 1997 was so different.

That's true, while 2000 is different it's not as different as 1990 was in 1996 or 97.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 1:53 am

Folk-rock and soft rock will become more popular, with a greater emphasis on melody and maybe harmony. The Magic Numbers, Joanna Newsome, maybe even Belle and Sebastian - that slightly antiquated style which reach its zenith in 2007, which will be a less 'full on materialist' style than 2002-2005.

Belle and Sebastian already have been popular, they're probably one of the most popular bands of the '00s despite having done most of their best work in the '90s. I don't think what starts happening around 07-08, the transition to the '10s, will be something that's already around; probably it'll be something totally new, like a new strain of raw singer-songwriters that will peak in emergence in the early '10s, the emergence of alternative rap as a big thing, and the re-emergence of alt rock styles based on late '80s-mid '90s alt rock. Though I do think soft rock a la Daniel Powter and Coldplay and slightly smarter (but still glam) rap like Kanye West will reach its peak around 06-07, 07-08 will see some changes, like the beginning of the end of emo.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:13 am

Hopefully 2007 will bring some good success for a lot of people. It will be one year away from electing a new president, which will be interesting. I'm sure they'll start cramming the possible candidiates down our throat starting sometime next year. 2007, I'll be 25 years old and hopefully at a new job position and a degree or certification of some sort.

Musicially, I also see a decline in glam rock and something that brings us back to our roots as a nation. I'm seeing 2006 has some promising hits so far, but glam rap is still on top.

Fashion - I'm seeing that the '80s revival in fashion will continue and some new fads will be thrown in there (who knows what next!)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 2:16 am

Hopefully 2007 will bring some good success for a lot of people. It will be one year away from electing a new president, which will be interesting. I'm sure they'll start cramming the possible candidiates down our throat starting sometime next year. 2007, I'll be 25 years old and hopefully at a new job position and a degree or certification of some sort.

Musicially, I also see a decline in glam rock and something that brings us back to our roots as a nation. I'm seeing 2006 has some promising hits so far, but glam rap is still on top.

Fashion - I'm seeing that the '80s revival in fashion will continue and some new fads will be thrown in there (who knows what next!)

The '80s revival in fashion will become very noticeable between late 2006 and mid 2008. From the runways trickling down, from my research, you'll be seeing alot of half-capes, high collars and ruffles, evening gloves, and heavily bunched and styled sleeves and silhouettes.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/14/06 at 2:17 am

I'm thinking that by late 2007 there should be some noticeable change on the charts.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:19 am

The '80s revival in fashion will become very noticeable between late 2006 and mid 2008. From the runways trickling down, from my research, you'll be seeing alot of half-capes, high collars and ruffles, evening gloves, and heavily bunched and styled sleeves and silhouettes.

I'm hoping soon that we'll have a slight  fashion change that reflects the late '60s-early '70s styles.  I wish they could make a clothing line inspired by Audrey Hepburn. If anyone wore perfect clothes, it was her.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 2:20 am

I'm hoping soon that we'll have a slight  fashion change that reflects the late '60s-early '70s styles.  I wish they could make a clothing line inspired by Audrey Hepburn. If anyone wore perfect clothes, it was her.

LOL, that was the early '90s that hippie stuff came back. I'd like to see it too, but I doubt it'll happen.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 2:26 am

LOL, that was the early '90s that hippie stuff came back. I'd like to see it too, but I doubt it'll happen.

It didn't come back the way it could've though. See, in the early 90s they were still stuck in the '80s, so that 60s/70s revival didn't look very authentic for some reason. Nowadays, some actresses are dressing very classy in 60s and 70s inspired pieces and the REALLY look authentic. They've got the hair down and the make up. It's a more complete look.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/14/06 at 9:43 am

Belle and Sebastian already have been popular, they're probably one of the most popular bands of the '00s despite having done most of their best work in the '90s. I don't think what starts happening around 07-08, the transition to the '10s, will be something that's already around; probably it'll be something totally new, like a new strain of raw singer-songwriters that will peak in emergence in the early '10s, the emergence of alternative rap as a big thing, and the re-emergence of alt rock styles based on late '80s-mid '90s alt rock. Though I do think soft rock a la Daniel Powter and Coldplay and slightly smarter (but still glam) rap like Kanye West will reach its peak around 06-07, 07-08 will see some changes, like the beginning of the end of emo.

One thing we can agree on is that the Singer-Songwriter movement will pick up steam in the end of the decade, with a move to a 'democratisation' of music, ala the Garage Rock/Punk movements of the 60s and mid to late 70s. Everyone will be putting there stuff out (think of that annoying 'Download this Song' song), promoting it on the net.etc, gaining exposure through Myspace.etc. The mp3 revolution will definitely have something to do with supposedly 'weakening' to stranglehold of the fat cats of the music industry.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 12:05 pm

One thing we can agree on is that the Singer-Songwriter movement will pick up steam in the end of the decade, with a move to a 'democratisation' of music, ala the Garage Rock/Punk movements of the 60s and mid to late 70s. Everyone will be putting there stuff out (think of that annoying 'Download this Song' song), promoting it on the net.etc, gaining exposure through Myspace.etc. The mp3 revolution will definitely have something to do with supposedly 'weakening' to stranglehold of the fat cats of the music industry.

Si, I agree, Ultraviolet.

I also think towards the end of the decade people will be backlashing against all the fake "indie" rock of the '00s that is really quite corporate (Bright Eyes, Hawthorne Heights, etc.) and starting real indie rock labels that don't take corporate promotion deals and such, and emphasize an anti-emo, anti-'00s hipster sound.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 12:24 pm

Si, I agree, Ultraviolet.

I also think towards the end of the decade people will be backlashing against all the fake "indie" rock of the '00s that is really quite corporate (Bright Eyes, Hawthorne Heights, etc.) and starting real indie rock labels that don't take corporate promotion deals and such, and emphasize an anti-emo, anti-'00s hipster sound.

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot. What exactly is emo? And what makes it not so appealing?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/14/06 at 12:54 pm

All I know is if the Republicans retain Congress this fall, 2007 will suck trailer-htiches! But, I'm not supposed to talk polly-ticks over here!
:-X

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/14/06 at 3:02 pm

All I know is if the Republicans retain Congress this fall, 2007 will suck trailer-htiches! But, I'm not supposed to talk polly-ticks over here!
:-X

One thing is, with politics, everyone wins and everyone loses  ;D (but that's as far as I'm going with that topic now, too  :-X )

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/14/06 at 3:04 pm

The same as this year, but one year on.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 5:33 pm

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot. What exactly is emo? And what makes it not so appealing?

See Tubeway General's post in another thread, I'll try and link it. It's whiny hipster music for whiny teenagers, essentially.

I think 2006-2007 will be the absolute nadir of the '00s culturally...mid '06-early '07 will see the release of Paris Hilton and K-Fed's albums. Kanye West's new album will either be immensely popular or flop. And then in '07-'08, things will start to improve with new strains of singer-songwriter music and alt rock, and maybe alt rap, starting to become popular, and artists like 50 Cent selling below expectations.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/14/06 at 6:00 pm

See Tubeway General's post in another thread, I'll try and link it. It's whiny hipster music for whiny teenagers, essentially.

I think 2006-2007 will be the absolute nadir of the '00s culturally...mid '06-early '07 will see the release of Paris Hilton and K-Fed's albums. Kanye West's new album will either be immensely popular or flop. And then in '07-'08, things will start to improve with new strains of singer-songwriter music and alt rock, and maybe alt rap, starting to become popular, and artists like 50 Cent selling below expectations.

Yeah, I think late 2006/early 2007 will be just like late 1990/early 1991, when the music just hits rock bottom, and that period has been mentioned as the nadir of 80's culture. K-Fed will be the equivalent to Vanilla Ice. Paris Hilton's CD will probably be lame too. I think 2007 will also have something equivalent to Color Me Badd, C+C Music Factory, and "Rico Suave". Late '91 improved when dance music hit the charts, like CeCe Penniston, Black Box, and Crystal Waters. Nirvana's "Nevermind" was also released in late '91, making it the unofficial birth of grunge. That's why I think late '07 will have more dance and electronic music on the charts, as well as the birth of a new form of rock and rap. I also think music will continue to improve through 2008 like it did in 1992.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/14/06 at 6:11 pm

Yeah, I think late 2006/early 2007 will be just like late 1990/early 1991, when the music just hits rock bottom, and that period has been mentioned as the nadir of 80's culture. K-Fed will be the equivalent to Vanilla Ice. Paris Hilton's CD will probably be lame too. I think 2007 will also have something equivalent to Color Me Badd, C+C Music Factory, and "Rico Suave". Late '91 improved when dance music hit the charts, like CeCe Penniston, Black Box, and Crystal Waters. Nirvana's "Nevermind" was also released in late '91, making it the unofficial birth of grunge. That's why I think late '07 will have more dance and electronic music on the charts, as well as the birth of a new form of rock and rap. I also think music will continue to improve through 2008 like it did in 1992.

I think it'll be the beginning of more of a new sort of "underground" thing, like golden age rap and alt rock really started to take off around 87-88, and so a new form of alt rock that's anti-'00s, singer-songwriters, and alternative rap will take off around then, even if they'll still be underground. I agree some form of electronic dance music will be very popular, probably inspired by dancehall and reggaeton in some way, starting in 2007.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/06 at 6:18 pm

Musically, I don't see 2007 being much different to this year. I think it's going to take something special to shake the world up. I believe R&B and 80s dance remix's will still feature in the charts and we will perhaps see Indie rock bands like 'Arctic Monkeys' and 'Babyshambles' reach their peak before trailing off into the sunset. I think the lead singer of Babyshambles (Pete Docherty) will self-destruct completely and probably die in some way to ensure he maintains legendary status.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/15/06 at 1:42 am

I think the lead singer of Babyshambles (Pete Docherty) will self-destruct completely and probably die in some way to ensure he maintains legendary status.

...or end up on Celeb Big Brother.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/15/06 at 2:18 pm

2007 will be like 2006 for the most part. Although I do think it might be the last year that glam rap is extremly popular.

Written By: 1993 on 05/15/06 at 2:30 pm

I think '06-'07 will be the absolute nadir of the '00s, and the last year glam rap is really popular. Then, around '07-'08 (my senior year of high school), some new form of alternative rock inspired by the late '80s and early '90s (i.e. Sonic Youth, Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, etc.), singer-songwriters, and alot of dance and electronica type stuff will come back. And glam rap will start fading away for hip-hop inspired R&B dance pop.

I've been waiting for so long for glam rap to die out....it's even outlived teen pop somehow. It caters to a obscenely stupid culture, that's why it's been able to stick around.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/15/06 at 3:38 pm

Hmmm ... Gen Z might start rearing their head in '07. Although I'd say that's more like '11.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/15/06 at 5:25 pm

O my gosh. I will never, EVER buy Paris Hilton's album or K-Fed's. That guy just irks me to no end. Both have become successful for notoriety, not for talent. They shall go DOWN!  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/15/06 at 5:31 pm

...or end up on Celeb Big Brother.

If he did end up on Big Brother, he wouldn't know any different.  ;D

Written By: the2001 on 08/26/15 at 5:09 pm

wow you were right about 2008

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/26/15 at 9:25 pm

2007 was already a good year for everybody, to ask OP's question.

Written By: Shemp97 on 08/26/15 at 11:08 pm

2007 was already a good year for everybody, to ask OP's question.

Congrats for reviving an ancient thread.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/27/15 at 12:13 am

Congrats for reviving an ancient thread.

It wasn't them it was the2001. We've been having quite a few Gravediggers on this forum the last couple of days. Must be a full moon.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/15 at 7:51 am

It wasn't them it was the2001. We've been having quite a few Gravediggers on this forum the last couple of days. Must be a full moon.
You are correct, there is a Full Moon due on August 29th.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/27/15 at 11:29 am

Amazing how spot on you were.  In 2006, this prediction was anybody's best guess but it ended up being exactly what happened.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/15 at 2:45 pm

and they keep reviving old threads.  ::)

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/27/15 at 10:38 pm

Wow, this thread is pretty spot-on about what (then) will happen in 2007. They correctly predicted the trends! It's pretty easy to predict popular culture shifts depending on what the climate is like at the time.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/28/15 at 1:09 am

You are correct, there is a Full Moon due on August 29th.

I knew there was a logical explanation.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/15 at 2:41 pm

2007 will be like 2006 for the most part. Although I do think it might be the last year that glam rap is extremly popular.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I think I got this pretty much right. "Glam Rap" (or "Ringtone Rap") had a pretty big year in 2007 with people like Soulja Boy, T-Pain and Mims dominating the charts, but it faded out pretty rapidly as a genre during 2008 and 2009.

Check for new replies or respond here...