inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Social Groups of the late 00s and early 10s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:47 am

Now we have emo kids, hipsters, teeny-boppers, preppies, wannabe hippies/stoners/greenies/peacenics, how do you see the scene panning out in the late 00s and 10s? Will hipsters tend more towards the yuppie side? What will become of todays' emo disciplines when the music becomes less popular/goes underground, or they grow out of it? What are the characteristics of the new social cliques you see emerging? And to your own aesthetic, do you predict it will be positive or negative? Wheich you personally see yourself in?

Subject: Re: Social Groups of the late 00s and early 10s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:47 am

Or will they be the same, but under different names?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:30 am

I think the tens will be very clique-oriented ... after all Gen Z are the new Gen Xers.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:32 am

I think the tens will be very clique-oriented ... after all Gen Z are the new Gen Xers.

I think they'll be divided between the Technocrats and the Narks. The Technocrats will be the tech-savvy, the hackers, the technologically rich and sophisticated, and the Narks will be like government spies of something.etc.

But whatever happens, technology will be some sort of dividing factor.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:32 am

I think they'll be divided between the Technocrats and the Narks. The Technocrats will be the tech-savvy, the hackers, the technologically rich and sophisticated, and the Narks will be like government spies of something.etc.

But whatever happens, technology will be some sort of dividing factor.

The Tens will be hugely technological.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:38 am

The Tens will be hugely technological.

Expect to see message boards like this flooded by younger and younger users - as young as 4 or 5. I even notice back in 2000 when I was 14 I was like the youngest member of many message boards, but now that doesn't seem very young at all.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:38 am

Expect to see message boards like this flooded by younger and younger users - as young as 4 or 5. I even notice back in 2000 when I was 14 I was like the youngest member of many message boards, but now that doesn't seem very young at all.

I bet ... 16 even is pretty young for a messageboard.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:41 am

I bet ... 16 even is pretty young for a messageboard.

Yeah, most ppl my age actually don't really post much in message boards. Too busy on myspace, or msn messenger or something.

I recall how I was patronised for being 'an arrogant young' kid when I was about 14-15, the second 'message board addiction' wave. Then I only posted casually til' early this year, when I re-discovered inthe00s.com. lol

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 2:50 pm

4, lol. That would be weird seeing 4 year olds typing messages on a message board.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 2:50 pm

4, lol. That would be weird seeing 4 year olds typing messages on a message board.

Maybe the future isn't bright ... it's kind of odd we're actually in the future now, in a way.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 2:54 pm

Maybe the future isn't bright ... it's kind of odd we're actually in the future now, in a way.

We think we are, but 2006 will most likely be old and dated in 10-15 years. Who knows what's coming.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 2:55 pm

We think we are, but 2006 will most likely be old and dated in 10-15 years. Who knows what's coming.

True. Besides it's the incredibly early 21st century.  People in 2080 will probably see now as about as 20th Century as we see 1906.

Written By: deadrockstar on 05/16/06 at 2:59 pm

True. Besides it's the incredibly early 21st century.  People in 2080 will probably see now as about as 20th Century as we see 1906.

I think so too. The 20th century didn't become distinct until the 1920s, and I think the 21st century won't become wholly distinct from the 20th century until the 2020s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 3:00 pm

[quote author=

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 3:01 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 3:02 pm

Yea true most likely, this century is still very young and really undefined so far.

It's very, very tempting to say digitality/the so-called War on Terror is the division, but one could argue that those are simply continued from the 20th Century.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 3:05 pm

It's very, very tempting to say digitality/the so-called War on Terror is the division, but one could argue that those are simply continued from the 20th Century.

I guess we won't really know until later this century if it is. We're still far from totally digital even in 2006, television and radio are still dominated by analog though by next decade they should be all digital. Phone lines are still mostly analog probably.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 3:46 pm

Everybody stop living in a sci-fi novel and get back on track  ;)! Well...

As Donnie said, Gen Z are the new Gen X, and so will be very clique-oriented. Some cliques I see coming out with the 1993-1999 types in the late '00s and early '10s are more of a "rocker" set (into classic rock), maybe a resurgence of folkie/hippie types, cynical/anti-everything people a la Gen X, etc. I think the whole emo thing will die out by 2011, the hipsters will become the next yuppies, and the preps will also be yuppies.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/16/06 at 3:47 pm

Everybody stop living in a sci-fi novel and get back on track  ;)! Well...

As Donnie said, Gen Z are the new Gen X, and so will be very clique-oriented. Some cliques I see coming out with the 1993-1999 types in the late '00s and early '10s are more of a "rocker" set (into classic rock), maybe a resurgence of folkie/hippie types, cynical/anti-everything people a la Gen X, etc. I think the whole emo thing will die out by 2011, the hipsters will become the next yuppies, and the preps will also be yuppies.

hi velvetoneo  :)

Yea I think I agree emo will be gone by early next decade.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 5:55 pm

There are still some punks and metalheads around, they're subcultures that never quite "die." There's probably going to be a resurgence in the "hard alt rocker"/"rocker" type, a resurgence in "green"/folk types and the Lilith Fair crowd, and sort of a cynical "I Hate Everything"/neo-cynical '90s Gen X for Gen Z group. I've already noticed among the 1992-1993 crowd there're alot of "rockers", as opposed to emo/indieniks. Like, they follow some of the fashion stuff but their taste is more akin to say Nirvana, the Pumpkins, Zeppelin, and Bowie than At the Drive-In and Death Cab for Cutie. I also think the "preppies" will fade away as a style as glam rap dies and being casual comes back in fashion. The even vaguely neo-hippie types of the '90s will probably come back in one way or another. There'll also probably be some alt rap group in the early-mid 2010s that dresses almost in an early '90s, In Living Color, sort of way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:40 am

There are still some punks and metalheads around, they're subcultures that never quite "die." There's probably going to be a resurgence in the "hard alt rocker"/"rocker" type, a resurgence in "green"/folk types and the Lilith Fair crowd, and sort of a cynical "I Hate Everything"/neo-cynical '90s Gen X for Gen Z group. I've already noticed among the 1992-1993 crowd there're alot of "rockers", as opposed to emo/indieniks. Like, they follow some of the fashion stuff but their taste is more akin to say Nirvana, the Pumpkins, Zeppelin, and Bowie than At the Drive-In and Death Cab for Cutie. I also think the "preppies" will fade away as a style as glam rap dies and being casual comes back in fashion. The even vaguely neo-hippie types of the '90s will probably come back in one way or another. There'll also probably be some alt rap group in the early-mid 2010s that dresses almost in an early '90s, In Living Color, sort of way.

The influences people absorb in their formative years of growing up will shape them as they 'come of age.' Hence, my 'formative years' were probably about 1996-2003, so the late millenial sort of atittudes/culture.etc will shape who I will become in the 2010s. Just what that is yet, I'm not too sure. Whereas someone born in 1990 will have grown up in the shadow of a very sanitized, glamorised scene. Indeed, they may dress like 'indienicks' or whatever, but they lack the grittness of atittude the punks of the late 70s had.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 5:39 am

The influences people absorb in their formative years of growing up will shape them as they 'come of age.' Hence, my 'formative years' were probably about 1996-2003, so the late millenial sort of atittudes/culture.etc will shape who I will become in the 2010s. Just what that is yet, I'm not too sure. Whereas someone born in 1990 will have grown up in the shadow of a very sanitized, glamorised scene. Indeed, they may dress like 'indienicks' or whatever, but they lack the grittness of atittude the punks of the late 70s had.

Erm, you were born in 1986. Stop acting like you're that much older...don't be like he who shall not be named.

Sorry. I think my formative years (i.e. those where I was listening to at least some music and noticing pop culture), were like late 1996 and probably go until 2007. Though I've become dramatically opposed to alot of that culture...

Written By: Kyle23 on 06/19/09 at 9:55 pm

In my opinion, there will be a lot of gamers/techies and ravers.  Everything looks like a raver thing in the stores.  The Vans skate style will die, emo will die, but will still have them.  And of course, your preps and jocks are here to stay.  Raver will be the new scene.  Nerd will also be huge. (Star Trek comeback and sciency movies like Day One will show you)\

Check for new replies or respond here...