inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Current Artists/trends that will define the sound of the 2010s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 7:55 am

Subject: Re: Current Artists/trends that will define the sound of the 2010s

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:00 am

I hope that adult contemp stuff doesn't ....

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:15 am

I hope that adult contemp stuff doesn't ....

I hope it'll be something the young kids ABSOLUTE HATE. Then the mainstream listernship will shift up to the 25-36 age group, instead of being tweens and early teens.  ;D

Enough teenyboppers controlling the Charts!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:17 am

I hope it'll be something the young kids ABSOLUTE HATE. Then the mainstream listernship will shift up to the 25-36 age group, instead of being tweens and early teens.  ;D

Enough teenyboppers controlling the Charts!

YES!!  ;D

I would like an electronica revolution myself.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:20 am

YES!!  ;D

I would like an electronica revolution myself.

Have you heard that 'Download this Song' song? For some reason it reminded me of Posseof2... ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:21 am

Have you heard that 'Download this Song' song? For some reason it reminded me of Posseof2... ;)

No I haven't. I'd actually compare my music to that of the Gorillaz ....

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:22 am

No I haven't. I'd actually compare my music to that of the Gorillaz ....

Download it if you can...I assume it's an American song, but I'm hearing it everyone on the radio, on TV...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:23 am

Download it if you can...I assume it's an American song, but I'm hearing it everyone on the radio, on TV...

Okay ... what band would you compare my music to?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:25 am

Okay ... what band would you compare my music to?

I know jack all about Techno groups/styles.etc. Yours is sort of minimalist/semi-old school techno, with quite strong 80s influences.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:25 am

I know jack all about Techno groups/styles.etc. Yours is sort of minimalist/semi-old school techno, with quite strong 80s influences.

Yeah that sounds right.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:30 am

I actually have a feeling Techno will see a revival. I think the techno backlash coincided with the peak of glam-rap/hip-hop/emo/punk - 'High Energy' styles of 2003, and will be revived on the back of the 80s revival. 'The Postal Service' is the only real mainstream semi-techno group that comes to mind atm. Although some of 'Machine Translations' stuff fits into the mould.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:32 am

I actually have a feeling Techno will see a revival. I think the techno backlash coincided with the peak of glam-rap/hip-hop/emo/punk - 'High Energy' styles of 2003, and will be revived on the back of the 80s revival. 'The Postal Service' is the only real mainstream semi-techno group that comes to mind atm. Although some of 'Machine Translations' stuff fits into the mould.

The thing I like about the Postal Service is even though they're so obviously an '80s throwback, they're not a "ripoff" of any particular '80s band.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:33 am

The thing I like about the Postal Service is even though they're so obviously an '80s throwback, they're not a "ripoff" of any particular '80s band.

I wouldn't be too confident about that. I'm sure there's some obscure indie band that never achieved fame that pbly sounded just like the Postal Service. But it doesn't matter anyway, cos' that band won't be able to kick up a fuss!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:34 am

I wouldn't be too confident about that. I'm sure there's some obscure indie band that never achieved fame that pbly sounded just like the Postal Service. But it doesn't matter anyway, cos' that band won't be able to kick up a fuss!  ;D

Is PO2 an "obscure indie band"?  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:36 am

Is PO2 an "obscure indie band"?  ;D

I think you actually have to have a record deal - an 'independent record' deal signing to be considered indie. It's not hard to get your stuff out there, it's just hard to get decent money out of it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:38 am

I think you actually have to have a record deal - an 'independent record' deal signing to be considered indie. It's not hard to get your stuff out there, it's just hard to get decent money out of it.

Actually I have my own "label" ... but I'm the only band on it  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:39 am

Actually I have my own "label" ... but I'm the only band on it  ;D

You can try your luck selling your albums on the streetside...but don't expect much luck. Maybe put a boombox and blast the music for people to sample it (or better yet, play it live on a turn-table, keyboard controller.etc). That's how many artists got their break - humble busking.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/16/06 at 11:40 am

You can try your luck selling your albums on the streetside...but don't expect much luck. Maybe put a boombox and blast the music for people to sample it (or better yet, play it live on a turn-table, keyboard controller.etc). That's how many artists got their break - humble busking.

When I'm 18 I want to sell it on iTunes ... and play live local shows

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/16/06 at 11:43 am

When I'm 18 I want to sell it on iTunes ... and play live local shows

Yeah, in that way you're fortunate bcos you've got so many avenues of opportunity. I sort of wish I had more time.etc to focus on music, but I've also got other aspirations like writing a novel, working interstate.etc, it kind of makes it difficult. For now, music's just a hobby (I hesitate to call it so) and an obsession.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/16/06 at 3:54 pm

Maybe Gorillaz, Jurassic Five, The Darkness, Wolf Parade, etc. I don't think much of the indie rock today will go anywhere in the '10s...alot of the '10s will have late '80s-mid '90s influences, IMO.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 4:53 am

Maybe Gorillaz, Jurassic Five, The Darkness, Wolf Parade, etc. I don't think much of the indie rock today will go anywhere in the '10s...alot of the '10s will have late '80s-mid '90s influences, IMO.

Indie rock seems to have its own influences. Mainly other indie bands!

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/17/06 at 5:40 am

I think the real '10s-like artists will start being noticeable in the late '00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...