inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the Decade boards too much about music?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:40 am

Was thinking of posting this in PPP, but I know it'll get more attention (and is more relevant) here, so...

I know it's always been the case, but flicking through other nostalgia/pop culture boards, I've realised just how much this board is dominated by music, which is just ONE aspect of popular culture, which includes film, society, fashon.etc. I'm not trying to change anything about the board, just wondering if you made the same observations/am interested to hear your thoughts.  :)

Subject: Re: Are the Decade boards too much about music?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:07 am

Let's face it...music always was and will be a major part of the culture. It is even indirectly and sometimes directly linked to other mediums as well (TV, movies, etc).  There are actors who even try to be musicians and vice versa (sometimes a good idea, sometimes not).  Music is very influential, and I think that if you took away all of the topics pertaining to music, you wouldn't have much left.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:10 am

Let's face it...music always was and will be a major part of the culture. It is even indirectly and sometimes directly linked to other mediums as well (TV, movies, etc).  There are actors who even try to be musicians and vice versa (sometimes a good idea, sometimes not).  Music is very influential, and I think that if you took away all of the topics pertaining to music, you wouldn't have much left.

Yes, Music is sort of the Soundtrack of the generation, and is also part of the whole societal fabric. It is also a Mirror in which one can see the characteristics of a certain time period. It's just that there should be a bit more discussion on other topics.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:12 am

Yes, Music is sort of the Soundtrack of the generation, and is also part of the whole societal fabric. It is also a Mirror in which one can see the characteristics of a certain time period. It's just that there should be a bit more discussion on other topics.

I think that there are a fair share of other topics generated on the boards. I mean, sometimes I sit and try to think up newer topics to post about, and it's sometimes impossible....it's like every topic has been covered at some point or another! :D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:16 am

I think that there are a fair share of other topics generated on the boards. I mean, sometimes I sit and try to think up newer topics to post about, and it's sometimes impossible....it's like every topic has been covered at some point or another! :D

Do you think Donnie Darko's going a bit over board with his uber-analytical threads about decades/years.etc? I mean, he posts the same topic ten times under 10 different names! lol, DD's cool, but he just doesn't know when to stop...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:17 am

Do you think Donnie Darko's going a bit over board with his uber-analytical threads about decades/years.etc? I mean, he posts the same topic ten times under 10 different names! lol, DD's cool, but he just doesn't know when to stop...

meh, if there's a thread that I think is repetitive...I just ignore it. I guess we should let him have his time to shine in the sun!! ;D ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:19 am

meh, if there's a thread that I think is repetitive...I just ignore it. I guess we should let him have his time to shine in the sun!! ;D ;)

Yes, I know how it feels. I guess he just likes looking through the topics, and seeing his name next to half of them!

Written By: karen on 05/17/06 at 10:21 am

Music comes into so much though.  As a teenager the music you listen to can also define how you dress, the types of activities you do and the programmes you watch.

I avoid all of those where I can.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:26 am

Music comes into so much though.  As a teenager the music you listen to can also define how you dress, the types of activities you do and the programmes you watch.

I avoid all of those where I can.

I try too, but they draw me in with their insidiousness tentacles!

Written By: karen on 05/17/06 at 10:31 am

Yes, I know how it feels. I guess he just likes looking through the topics, and seeing his name next to half of them!

Looking at the stats you've started nearly as many topics

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:32 am

Looking at the stats you've started nearly as many topics

I know, I know, but at least they aren't all about 'the difference between xx and xx', or 'New Wave'. lol...

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 12:20 pm

Yeah Trimac you're right ... I have been a bit compulsive ... it's just my personality I guess. I'll try to tone it down okay? :)

Written By: Apricot on 05/17/06 at 3:08 pm

I think this board isn't so much about music as it is just badmouthing music. If you look, other then a few choice threads (which mostly just worship Daniel Powter and a few other, mostly undeserving, artists).. every thread is full of the phrase "Oh God, it's awful!" or the whole thread is just busting on hipsters.

Music's important though, and tastes always clash, soooooo... that's just things, I guess.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 8:30 pm

I think this board isn't so much about music as it is just badmouthing music. If you look, other then a few choice threads (which mostly just worship Daniel Powter and a few other, mostly undeserving, artists).. every thread is full of the phrase "Oh God, it's awful!" or the whole thread is just busting on hipsters.

Music's important though, and tastes always clash, soooooo... that's just things, I guess.

Yeah, I agree, there should be more appreciation of music going on. Saying today's music is all bad is just ignorant and way of the mark, as people don't realise how many great bands there are making original and exciting music today. Enough about these threads bitching about emo or what not, if you want to do that do it on another board!

Written By: whistledog on 05/17/06 at 8:32 pm

The decade boards are too much threads about the decades as a whole ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 8:34 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...