inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Decline of 'High Culture'

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 9:59 am

I was speaking to someone involved in the music/entertainment industry - well he actually arranges music for musicals or something like that, and he sort of lamented that fewer and fewer people are watching musicals, watching live theatre.etc, apart from those interested in culture, or the 'social set' who just like to dress up for the occasion. I'll probably seem hypocritical (for reasons I'll explain later), but I think it's sad so few people (especially kids/future adults) are so un-interested in so-called 'high culture' like literature/poetry/theatre/musicals/arty experimental music/symphonies.etc. I see plays etc., but only occasionally, whereas I go to the cinema perhaps once a month or so. Just wondering, do you see any glimmer of hope for these mediums/this very important aspect of our culture? Do you see any sign the younger generation is embracing it? Or has it been declining every last the post-War years, or even earlier?

Subject: Re: The Decline of 'High Culture'

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:04 am

I will say that in our area of Pittsburgh, the arts and cultural district is very popular. There are plays/musicals being put on all the time, and a lot of the times when you go to purchase tickets, they are already sold out. I think that it is still popular among many people.  If they can charge what they do to go see a play/musical, and people still pay the prices to the point that tickets are sold out...then it is still a growing trend.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:08 am

I will say that in our area of Pittsburgh, the arts and cultural district is very popular. There are plays/musicals being put on all the time, and a lot of the times when you go to purchase tickets, they are already sold out. I think that it is still popular among many people.  If they can charge what they do to go see a play/musical, and people still pay the prices to the point that tickets are sold out...then it is still a growing trend.

Perhaps it's seeing a revival among very old Gen Y kids and Gen X and above, but among by age group, barely anyone but the 'arty crowd' voluntarily goes and sees a play or something, unless it's part of school or something. They watch Live Music.etc, but don't have much interest in 'non-popular music.'

The dis-interest in Literary fiction/poetry is perhaps a reflection of the education system discarding the classics like Shakespear, Dickens.etc. I think my generation was the last which really had any training in classical literature. It's amazing how many youngsters take to those old classics, relate to them.etc after they actually read them!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:10 am

It's amazing how many youngsters take to those old classics, relate to them.etc after they actually read them!

yes, that is true. If only people would give it a chance...they don't know what they are missing out on.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:12 am

yes, that is true. If only people would give it a chance...they don't know what they are missing out on.

Make sure you at least expose your son to those old classics when he reaches school age. No matter how much he protests!  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:13 am

Make sure you at least expose your son to those old classics when he reaches school age. No matter how much he protests!  ;)

oh I definitely will. Our family is very much into the arts, I am hoping that when he gets older, he will be one of those beatnik types who love poetry and getting involved with the school musicals!  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:15 am

oh I definitely will. Our family is very much into the arts, I am hoping that when he gets older, he will be one of those beatnik types who love poetry and getting involved with the school musicals!  ;D

Yes, he WILL be a beatnik, we've already decided that for him! lol

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 10:15 am

art sucks. disney rules!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:16 am

Yes, he WILL be a beatnik, we've already decided that for him! lol

YES...no football playing jocks in THIS house!! muaawaaa!! :D ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:20 am

YES...no football playing jocks in THIS house!! muaawaaa!! :D ;D

Lol...talk about parents moulding their children into ideal versions of themselves.  ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 10:21 am

Lol...talk about parents moulding their parents into ideal versions of themselves.  ;)

actually, Chris played football in high school, and I was the one involved in choir/drama/etc.  Maybe we can compromise, and he can play soccer and be in plays/choir...besides, the school district he goes to is known for their soccer team, their football team sucks! ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:30 am

actually, Chris played football in high school, and I was the one involved in choir/drama/etc.  Maybe we can compromise, and he can play soccer and be in plays/choir...besides, the school district he goes to is known for their soccer team, their football team sucks! ;D

Yeah, perhaps then the 'football player' stereotype will be sort of obsolete. Soccer's a cool sport though; you don't need to wear a helmet and a great big jersey thing!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 12:06 pm

Yeah, perhaps then the 'football player' stereotype will be sort of obsolete. Soccer's a cool sport though; you don't need to wear a helmet and a great big jersey thing!

ya, I'd rather not have him play football, but you know how some guys are (that have played)....Chris wants him to play. I always say, we will leave it up to him to decide. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...