inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What were you doing when the Planes struck?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:45 am

Do you remember where you were/what you were doing when the planes hit? And what did you make of the situation? When I saw the footage for the FIRST time (my dad told us about it), I think it was some joke or something. Just couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. It was all so surreal...I mean, two planes really did that?? Of course I remember the next few days many people didn't turn up at school, and they had a TV in the library, cos all they could do was watching what was going on. I couldn't imagine the horror and death that I was seeing before my eyes - sure I'd seen it in Iraq, or Afghanistan, but to my young eyes the fact it was the World Trade Center in New York City...I guess Sept. 11 is the Moon Landing of our era, except it expressed the very worst of human nature (and the best in terms of the bravery and self-sacrifice of some)...

Subject: Re: What were you doing when the Planes struck?

Written By: karen on 05/17/06 at 10:52 am

I was at work when it happened.  It was my dad's birthday so I took the children round to see him that evening and my mum and dad told me what had happened.  I rarely watch the news so would not have known about it until the next day unless I'd gone round my parents house.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/17/06 at 10:58 am

I think the first plane hit about 8am New York time, so it was about 9pm here. Remember I stayed up really late that night watching the news.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/17/06 at 12:35 pm

I know this is sick, but I actually thought it was cool when it first happened (I was 11 ... I didn't really think about how many people died ... I just thought it was amazing something like that could happen in the United States).  Of course now I realize how tragic it is.

I remember the day like yesterday.  I heard about it after I got up for school that day. I remember it was all the news talked about for months.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 12:38 pm

I was at college. After my first class I was walking down the hall and some girl I knew came up to me and was frantic. Then I noticed that they had the TV's on and they were showing the footage. I also thought it was a sick joke or something. We were dismissed from class, and I turned the radio on. I then heard about the plane that went down here in Pa (which isn't too far from my parents house). I called all of my family to make sure they were okay and then I went home, and was glued to the TV the entire day and night. I remember not moving at all. We didn't break for meals or anything...we just sat there and watched the news in horror.

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 12:53 pm

i was playing a keyboard.

weirdly, i was also playing a keyboard when the shuttle columbia blew up.

on a side note, does anyone think it's INCREDIBLY cheesy that the building replacing the wtc is going to be 1776 feet tall? that is so. stupid.

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 1:18 pm

on a side note, does anyone think it's INCREDIBLY cheesy that the building replacing the wtc is going to be 1776 feet tall? that is so. stupid.

that is the stupidest yet.  this rebuilding crap is so rediculous!!! sure show we are resilient and can go right back to our lives by taking a million years to fight like babies nand think of cheesy ideas. jerks.

I was working in Long Island.  I saw the second one on TV.  I fell over. I had to get it together so i could go from class room to class room and tell the univeristy students to go home.  Then i could leave once everyone was taken care of.  I live in Staten Island.  It took me 7 hours to get to the bridge...and when i finally did, i was the only car.  I put my foot down and flew over that bridge, terrified...and the whole tilme watchig the smoke in the air on my right..

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/17/06 at 1:19 pm

yes, I totally agree.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/06 at 1:23 pm

I was at home with my son and we watch the whole portrayal on the TV.

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 1:26 pm

it was freaky. i was, erm, well, i had done something to enhance the keyboard playing experience, if you get my drift, but it was something that also has the potential to make you paranoid? and then my boss calls to tell me, hey, don't come into work cuz a bunch of planes are, like, flying into buildings. i accuse her of lying and then turn on the t.v. just in time to watch the first tower collapse. and so i'm completely paranoid, freaking out. i believe i actually made a little girly noise. and then, when the plane hit the pentagon, which was literally like three miles away from where i lived at the time, i was like okay, eff this, cuz what if there was like some biological agent on the plane? so in my whole owned-stay frame of mind i'm like, it's cool unless the recovery crews are wearing hazmat suits. so within ten minutes they have recovery crews on the scene and they're wearing hazmat suits? yes?

so i bugged the eff outta town, spent the night at a motel in fredericksburg and bought a book on firearms and a book on comets hitting the earth.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/17/06 at 1:26 pm

I was setting up my classroom (school was starting two days later) for the new school year. I overheard it on the radio. They sent us home and I picked up my son in a panic. Being in Philadelphia and hearing that a plane went down in PA, I was quite nervous.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/06 at 1:28 pm

Can I please say that reading these posts in this thread is very moving bringing back the memory of that sorrowful day, let us pray that it will never happen again.

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 1:29 pm

I was setting up my classroom (school was starting two days later) for the new school year. I overheard it on the radio. They sent us home and I picked up my son in a panic. Being in Philadelphia and hearing that a plane went down in PA, I was quite nervous.

I am sure you were....and i know that others that were in schools that day had a hard time dealing with the subject matter and the students...same for yoU?

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/17/06 at 2:55 pm

I was getting ready for work latter in the afternoon when my parents told me that a plane had crashed into the WTT's. I remember an "expert" on TV saying how paranoid it was to think it was terrorist when the second plane flew into the building. I remember the odd feeling of the time as I watched the second plane crash, both towers falling, the Pentagon being hit, the Penn. crash, and seeing Manahattan Island covered in blacksmoke that evening on the nightly news. It was if I was watching a movie and not real.

However I remeber wondering what was truely happening and my father being worried.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/17/06 at 3:11 pm

I was watching it on TV.  I got up at 7 that morning and I was just on my way upstairs to get dressed when my mom called me and told me to turn on my TV.  I was watching the reaction to the 1st plane hitting just as the second plane came careening into the second tower live on national TV.  I screamed so loud, my mom dropped the phone.  I threw some clothes on, ran downstairs, called some friends that I knew were going to school in NYC, made sure they were okay and then sat transfixed in front of the television all day.  My brain to this day still can wrap around what happened and it was 5 years ago.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/06 at 9:55 pm

Sleeping. I had the day off. If I had known ahead of time, like the Bush cabinet, I would have tuned in for the live footage. I know lots of people who saw it happen. I didn't. I woke up at 11:15 to pandemonium!
:o

Written By: Tia on 05/17/06 at 10:10 pm

If I had known ahead of time, like the Bush cabinet, I would have tuned in for the live footage.
lol.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/17/06 at 10:58 pm

Just got out of bed,when I found out.  It was quite literally the first thing I saw on T.V. that day.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/17/06 at 11:08 pm

I am sure you were....and i know that others that were in schools that day had a hard time dealing with the subject matter and the students...same for yoU?

It was 7 a.m. in Colorado.  I was pulling into the parking lot at the high school where I worked at the time.  I had the Christian music station on.  They interrupted a song and said, "One of the twin towers has been hit by a plane" -- my first thought was that something went wrong with the plane and it was bad but not THAT bad.  Then they started praying for everyone, so I sat for a few minutes in my car, praying, but we still didn't understand the enormity of the situation.

Then I went into the teacher's office and there was the tv.  We watched on tv.  The first Tower; the second.  I thought, "This is it -- WWIII."  My first instinct was to leave and take my children out of their elementary school and home.  But the teachers said, please stay, we have to stay calm.  But heck, my whole family was in New York, and many of my closest friends; I was not very calm.  All we did in the classrooms was watch the news and discuss the situation.

I remember just waiting to hear from everyone on Staten Island to know if everyone was okay.

Also, I tried to take my daughter (then about 8 y.o.) to dance class that afternoon.  She freaked out crying and wouldn't go.  She never went back. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/17/06 at 11:19 pm

It was 7 a.m. in Colorado.  I was pulling into the parking lot at the high school where I worked at the time.  I had the Christian music station on.  They interrupted a song and said, "One of the twin towers has been hit by a plane" -- my first thought was that something went wrong with the plane and it was bad but not THAT bad. 

If I wuz you, I'd be thinking, "It may be a national catastrophe, but at least I'm not listening to Christian music anymore!"
Oooh, I'm gonna pay dearly for that one!
:-X

Written By: CeeKay on 05/17/06 at 11:28 pm

If I wuz you, I'd be thinking, "It may be a national catastrophe, but at least I'm not listening to Christian music anymore!"
Oooh, I'm gonna pay dearly for that one!
:-X

Nah.  I knew I'd take a hit from someone for that.  I applaud you for having the nerve to go for it.  (See I'm a reasonable woman).  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/17/06 at 11:42 pm

I was in my 9th grade classroom when the wtc was attacked. At first we thought it was an accident but then another one hit and and it became obvious it wasn't. Sad day indeed.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/17/06 at 11:46 pm

I didn't get to watch the news as usual that morning because I had to take my daughter to her 9 month well baby check up, but I was listening to Imus in the car after her appointment , to me it sounded like some skit they were doing, because I wasn't really paying attention.  I decided to stop and visit my friends at the bank where I used to work.  I was talking to one of my friends when another girl came running in and said they other tower had been hit.  I asked what was going on, she told me and I knew I had to get home and try to call my family.  I live in Virginia but the rest of my family in NY (Staten Island and work in the city).  I could not get through to anyone, so the only thing I could think of doing was going on to my front porch and putting my hand on my heart and say The Pledge of Allegiance.  

A few hours later my mother was able to call me, everyone in my family was OK, but I know a few people who died.

I willl NEVER, EVER forget that day.  I pray something like this never happens again.

Written By: La Roche on 05/17/06 at 11:48 pm

Can I please say that reading these posts in this thread is very moving bringing back the memory of that sorrowful day, let us pray that it will never happen again.

I agree Philip. I get the chills up my spine when I think about it.

I remember holding my niece who I was looking after, she was crying and asking what was wrong and I just remember telling her that things were OK. I couldn't answer what was wrong because I didn't know myself.
Then I went outside for a minute and had to clear my eyes.
An hour later I called my Uncle who was living in Connecticut. His company had an office in the WTC and he was often there 2-3 days a week. Thankfully he was in Hartford that day.

Written By: KKay on 05/17/06 at 11:54 pm

a woman I know (lots of people actually did this) was saying to me..."i interviewd for a job there once..that could have been me!" 
I wanted to punch her in the face

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/18/06 at 8:59 am

It was really freaky because about a mile down the road from my parent's house is a golf course...and it was said that the plane that went down in Pa, flew right over the course...very low.  I got major chills because that plane could have very easily went down in the woods right by my parent's house....but it ended up crashing about 25-30 miles from there. :-\\

Written By: Tia on 05/18/06 at 9:53 am

a woman I know (lots of people actually did this) was saying to me..."i interviewd for a job there once..that could have been me!" 
I wanted to punch her in the face
with that bode arm of yours you probably woulda killed her.

Written By: KKay on 05/18/06 at 10:05 am

with that bode arm of yours you probably woulda killed her.

You know what? Maybe I'll go punch her now....what, too soon?

What do you think....Where would John Wayne be without movies aoub t WWII and the Cavalry?  Was is too soon to make those films? Dont' you think some poor guy that lost every last buddy at Normandy was a little irritated?  Bet he didn't write a book or sue anyone. Just went home to the sofa and felt bad cuz things happen that way.  (jsut thinking out loud don't mind me)

Written By: Tia on 05/18/06 at 10:22 am

You know what? Maybe I'll go punch her now....what, too soon?

What do you think....Where would John Wayne be without movies aoub t WWII and the Cavalry?  Was is too soon to make those films? Dont' you think some poor guy that lost every last buddy at Normandy was a little irritated?  Bet he didn't write a book or sue anyone. Just went home to the sofa and felt bad cuz things happen that way.  (jsut thinking out loud don't mind me)

well, it's different when you win. john wayne did one vietnam movie in the WWII vein, "the green berets," and it's so surreal it's like a cult classic. sank like a lead balloon when it first came out.

it took ten years for america to start making vietnam movies (well, okay, there was apocalypse now and the deer hunter, but those movies were so neurotic they kinda make my point) and when they did, they had to rewrite history with the rambo flicks so that america actually wins.

sorta like how the cinematic story of 911 is "flight 93," where it has to be the one flight out of the four where america wins, or at least manages to eke out a draw.

Written By: KKay on 05/18/06 at 10:26 am

well, it's different when you win. john wayne did one vietnam movie in the WWII vein, "the green berets," and it's so surreal it's like a cult classic. sank like a lead balloon when it first came out.

it took ten years for america to start making vietnam movies (well, okay, there was apocalypse now and the deer hunter, but those movies were so neurotic they kinda make my point) and when they did, they had to rewrite history with the rambo flicks so that america actually wins.

sorta like how the cinematic story of 911 is "flight 93," where it has to be the one flight out of the four where america wins, or at least manages to eke out a draw.

Good point, well made.
I was thinking about the Vietnam movies too...but i think if you suffer the trauma of going through even something like that, are you going to go to the movie version?

You're right about the 'winning' aspect of it all. 

Written By: karen on 05/18/06 at 10:31 am

So you don't think they rewrote history with the WW2 films?

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/06 at 10:36 am

I was heading to my college Sociology class, when I saw the breaking news on one of the TV's around the college campus.  I had no idea what was going on, until I got to class, and the teacher filled us in, incase we didn't know what was going on.

I didn't really have any idea just how serious of a tragedy it was until I got home, and it was on every channel  :o

Written By: Tia on 05/18/06 at 10:37 am

So you don't think they rewrote history with the WW2 films?
i went to germany right after saving private ryan came out and the germans were all hacked off man! not sure i blame em necessarily.

and then there's U-571, where they rewrote it so that the americans rather than the british found the enigma machine. movies are always pretty steeped in propaganda, but vietnam and 9/11 are both instances where revisionism is so extreme the victor actually has to be changed. sorta like pearl harbor, that dreadful movie, where they had to make it three hours long and give it this messed up story arc just so they could show dolittle and the boys getting some payback.

Written By: karen on 05/18/06 at 11:02 am

i went to germany right after saving private ryan came out and the germans were all hacked off man! not sure i blame em necessarily.

and then there's U-571, where they rewrote it so that the americans rather than the british found the enigma machine. movies are always pretty steeped in propaganda, but vietnam and 9/11 are both instances where revisionism is so extreme the victor actually has to be changed. sorta like pearl harbor, that dreadful movie, where they had to make it three hours long and give it this messed up story arc just so they could show dolittle and the boys getting some payback.

I was meaning more the John Wayne era of films but the whole 'how the americans won the war single handedly' annoys many people.

sorta like pearl harbor, that dreadful movie, where they had to make it three hours long and give it this messed up story arc just so they could show dolittle and the boys getting some payback.

I haven't seen Pearl Harbour but a friend was talking about this part of the film in the pub last night.  Apparently the dolittle bit was cut when the film was shown in Japan.

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 11:25 am

Slayer are in the studio recording from the towel head point of view. Should be interesting.

You know GHUA was released on that day right.

Written By: gemini on 05/18/06 at 4:54 pm

I was at work when I heard the news. We had a really little TV that about 10 of us were gathered around to try to see what was going on. My husband was off that day, so I kept calling him to get more info. Of course, we couldn't keep our minds on anything else that day, fearing that more attacks were coming in other parts of the country. 

Written By: Tia on 05/18/06 at 6:02 pm

Slayer are in the studio recording from the towel head point of view. Should be interesting.
does that mean they're doing a big pro-terrorist album?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/18/06 at 6:20 pm

You know GHUA was released on that day right.

The phrase "towel head" is in no way insensitive. 

/end sarcasm

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/18/06 at 6:25 pm

I was walking out of 2nd period history and the teacher told the class that the 2 places had crashed into WTC, this was at about 9:30 AM, then the school gathered in like the social hall area and there was a television on and they just discussed what was going on a little more, and then we went to our next class. The we're told the pentagon had been hit, at that point I really knew that our country was under attack and this was no accident. Then not long after we hear that the towers had collapsed.

Written By: Tia on 05/18/06 at 6:44 pm

/end sarcasm
davey just kinda does that. it's like a thing.

where did the sarcasm start?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/18/06 at 6:47 pm

davey just kinda does that. it's like a thing.

where did the sarcasm start?

The statement was sarcastic. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/18/06 at 7:02 pm

I woke up just after the first plane hit the 1st  tower. I can't remember who was broadcasting it, but I luckily caught it when I woke up because I use to sleep with my TV on. It was a very freaky image to wake up to. The broadcaster (who I think was the late Peter Jennings), sounded confused and unsure of what was going on. He talked of various reasons why this happened, but never mentioned it being terrorists. I went downstairs in a state of confusion (mainly from waking up) and went to my mother. I sat by her bed and said, "Mom, one of the WTC towers was hit by a plane. It's really strange. I don't know what's going on" So, then I went back up stairs while she tried to wake up and I came in just as the second plane hit. It was SO weird. I remember the broadcaster becoming excited and hearing a tremble in his voice and then just silence. After that, I ran downstairs to my mom and said this was much more scarier than I thought. That whole day had a bleak tone to it. It was one of the saddest days I'd ever experienced. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 10:11 pm

/end sarcasm

Killing thousand of civilians is in no way insensitive.

/end sarcasm

does that mean they're doing a big pro-terrorist album?

It's not a pro-terrorist album. Kerry just said that everyone has got so caught up pointing the finger at everyone else, he wants to come at it from a different perspective.

I am excited. I'm ready to be seriously targeted as a Slayer headcase and increase my hostility level ten fold.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/18/06 at 11:39 pm

Remember how eerie it was when there were no planes flying for awhile?  I don't at all remember how long that went on.  Silent and spooky.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 12:12 am

Like I said, I was sleeping. I remember waking up and my housemate's boyfriend came around and was exclaiming a plane just flew into the Pentagon. I reached over and turned on my clock radio and the news guys were talking about the plane that hit the Pentagon. So for about two minutes, that's what I thought the extent of the disaster was!!! Then I switched on the television....
:o

Now that the government will let you see it, "Winter Soldier" is the only "Vietnam" movie worth watching if you want a taste of reality. No matter how bloody and horrible they make a dramatization, it cannot come close to reproducing the reality of war.

I remember when the networks were censoring "Private Ryan," some old kook on FOX News was on about how he was there at Normandy, and the portrayal in "Private Ryan" was exaggerated! Yeah, our soldiers didn't get their guts blown out on Omaha Beach. They were having a wienie roast and playing guitar!
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 12:28 am

What does that have to do with you using a derogatory comment against ALL Muslims?  Last I checked, not all Muslims wore turbans (you're probably thinking of Sikhs and they're not Muslim) and not all Muslims were terrorists. 

He's only teasing, dear. Just ignore him.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_rendeer.gif

Written By: Tia on 05/19/06 at 6:47 am

The statement was sarcastic. 
i just meant you had a closing tag but not a starting one.

Written By: KKay on 05/19/06 at 8:18 am

Remember how eerie it was when there were no planes flying for awhile?  I don't at all remember how long that went on.  Silent and spooky.

Oohhh yeah...it was disturbingly quiet here...and I lived in the flight path of JFK...which has since been changed...to directly over the house I've moved into..BUT happy to hear them.

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/19/06 at 10:59 am

I live in rural area of Southwest Virginia but my house happens to be right under the flightpath of our  airport.  I never noticed how many planes fly over my house each day until we had a day without any planes flying.  Very strange.

Written By: La Roche on 05/19/06 at 11:16 am

Slightly related.

I flew to Athens on 09/11/2002  ;D

Written By: lizjagger on 05/19/06 at 11:13 pm

I was sitting in government class, senior year of high school. They brought a tv in, and we were all watching in disbelief.

Check for new replies or respond here...