inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hey the streets are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Wolveroses on 05/18/06 at 6:47 pm

I'm not sure how this deals with where everyone else lives, but now the streets are even more safer than before.  There are more cops patrolling the streets to make sure we are wearing our seatbelts.  Wow, I feel so safe!  Question, where are the cops to stop the crime?

Subject: Re: Hey the streets are safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/18/06 at 8:33 pm

Back at the Police station stuffing their face with doughnuts?

Written By: La Roche on 05/18/06 at 10:13 pm

I'm not sure how this deals with where everyone else lives, but now the streets are even more safer than before.  There are more cops patrolling the streets to make sure we are wearing our seatbelts.  Wow, I feel so safe!  Question, where are the cops to stop the crime?

Pantera addressed this point in the song "Fuc*ing Hostile" on the album 'Vulgar display of Power'.

The truth in right and wrong
The boundaries of the law
You seem to miss the point
Arresting for a joint?
You seem to wonder why
Hundreds of people die
You're writing tickets man
My mom got jumped -- they ran!
Now I'll play a public servant
To serve and protect
By the law and the state
I'd bust the punks
That rape steal and murder
And leave you be
If you crossed me
I'd shake your hand like a man
Not a god

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 12:25 am

Pantera addressed this point in the song "Fuc*ing Hostile" on the album 'Vulgar display of Power'.

Wait a minute, wasn't Pantera the band that lost a couple of members because a loopy fan opened fire on them? Yeah, it was them, happened a couple of years ago. Egads, that was horrible!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

There isn't much street violence around where I live. Most of the violence here is domestic, or among intoxicated friends batting each other about! There's been some horrific violence south of here on the streets of Springfield. Guns, guns, guns, gotta have those guns!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uzi.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/19/06 at 12:42 am

Wait a minute, wasn't Pantera the band that lost a couple of members because a loopy fan opened fire on them? Yeah, it was them, happened a couple of years ago. Egads, that was horrible!

There isn't much street violence around where I live. Most of the violence here is domestic, or among intoxicated friends batting each other about! There's been some horrific violence south of here on the streets of Springfield. Guns, guns, guns, gotta have those guns!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/uzi.gif

Actually, only one member of the band was killed; Dimebag Darrell. 

Written By: La Roche on 05/19/06 at 11:31 am

Just the one member of Pantera. Darrel Abott. Abott had left Pantera a few years before and was playing with his new band Damageplan.
His brother Vinnie Paul was the drummer for Pantera and also for Damageplan, that might be why you figured two members were killed, but Vinnie wasn't injured.

Psycho by the name of Nathan Gale opened fire Killing Dime, A security guy by the name of Jeff and two fans.
He also wounded three other folks.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/19/06 at 11:40 am

I read some articles stating that violent crime is up in 2006 from 2005, at least here in San Diego.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/06 at 11:01 pm

Question, where are the cops to stop the crime?

Subversive music on tonight's podcast:  (Relax, the artist is speaking with irony, not conviction!)

Some More Crime - Der Tod Ist Ein Meister Aus Deutschland

The track (the album) was inspired by the LA riots.  It makes Ice-T's "Body Count" (and "Cop Killer") look like the theme song from Barney in comparison.  One of my all-time favorite dystopian tracks.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I've made videos for this track by hit "mute" on the TV, cranked this track up to full volume, and just channel-flipped at random, and especially not three times in the past decade.

Musical relevance?  Well, we were talking about Pantera a few posts back.  So grab yourself some Slayer and crank up  Angel of Death.  Follow the most widely-sampled cross-genre guitar riff ever - as it makes its way to (rap, 1991)  Public Enemy's She Watch Channel Zero, to (industrial, 1990)  KMFDM's Godlike, to (really fringy industrial, 1993)  Some More Crime 10.6.5, which is why I came into this thread in the first place.

And Slayer's close enough to Pantera to bring it back on topic, ain't it?  Even if violent crime is still pretty much lower in the mid-2000s than it was in the mid-1990s.

Written By: La Roche on 05/19/06 at 11:37 pm

Subversive music on tonight's podcast:  (Relax, the artist is speaking with irony, not conviction!)

Some More Crime - Der Tod Ist Ein Meister Aus Deutschland

The track (the album) was inspired by the LA riots.  It makes Ice-T's "Body Count" (and "Cop Killer") look like the theme song from Barney in comparison.  One of my all-time favorite dystopian tracks.

I will neither confirm nor deny that I've made videos for this track by hit "mute" on the TV, cranked this track up to full volume, and just channel-flipped at random, and especially not three times in the past decade.

Musical relevance?  Well, we were talking about Pantera a few posts back.  So grab yourself some Slayer and crank up  Angel of Death.  Follow the most widely-sampled cross-genre guitar riff ever - as it makes its way to (rap, 1991)  Public Enemy's She Watch Channel Zero, to (industrial, 1990)  KMFDM's Godlike, to (really fringy industrial, 1993)  Some More Crime 10.6.5, which is why I came into this thread in the first place.

And Slayer's close enough to Pantera to bring it back on topic, ain't it?  Even if violent crime is still pretty much lower in the mid-2000s than it was in the mid-1990s.

Slayer.. Angel of death.. manna from the Metal gods.

She watch channel zero was actually pretty cool, but I've never heard either of the other two.

Kerry King did a lot of riff work for Pantera, if you listen you'll often hear much cleaner work than Dime.

Another piece of Slayer that captures this topic well.

DITTOHEAD!

This fudgeing countrys lost its grip
Subconscious hold begins to slip
The scales of justice tend to tip

The legal system has no spine
Its corroding from inside
Slap your hand youll do no time

Reality on vacation
All across a blinded nation
Mentality under sedation

Anyone can be set free
On a technicality
Explain the law again to me

Here in 1994
Things are different than before
Violence is what we adore

Invitation to the game
Guns and blades and media fame
Every day more of the same

Murder, mayhem, anarchy
Now are all done legally
Mastermind your killing spree

Unafraid of punishment
With a passive government
Theres nothing for you to regret

Nothing to regret

Unimposing policy
No enforcing ministry
Gaping with judicial flaws
Watching a fading nation crawl

Clashing with the publics frame
Im the one thats place in fame
Legislature sets the stage
Social slaves caught in my rage

Administrative anarchy theres nothing
You can do to me
The world around you drifting to a
Continental tomb you see
Violence is my passion
I will never be contained
Living with aggression and its
Everlasting reign

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/20/06 at 12:33 am

Slayer.. Angel of death.. manna from the Metal gods.

She watch channel zero was actually pretty cool, but I've never heard either of the other two.

"Godlike" (multiple remixes, the one you'll like the most is probably the very first off "Naive") should be easy to find on any P2P network.  Anything by Some More Crime should be... umm...  more rare.  Keep hunting.  If you liked _Godlike_, you'll *love* SMC.  Not as many guitars as what the metal half of your brain might want, but if you can tolerate a synthesizer and a sampler, the aggro half of your brain will be more than pleased.

Here's a jumping-off point:  http://www.discogs.com/artist/Some+More+Crime 

Good hunting!

On a more conventional industrial-metal track, I think you'll also dig KMFDM's WWIII.  The title track off that album stands on its own as industrial or metal.  Buy the album with cash.  60 years ago, people wound up in the camps for haiving the wrong kinds of music.  Learn from their mistakes.

Written By: La Roche on 05/20/06 at 4:04 pm

"Godlike" (multiple remixes, the one you'll like the most is probably the very first off "Naive") should be easy to find on any P2P network.  Anything by Some More Crime should be... umm...  more rare.  Keep hunting.  If you liked _Godlike_, you'll *love* SMC.  Not as many guitars as what the metal half of your brain might want, but if you can tolerate a synthesizer and a sampler, the aggro half of your brain will be more than pleased.

Here's a jumping-off point:  http://www.discogs.com/artist/Some+More+Crime 

Good hunting!

On a more conventional industrial-metal track, I think you'll also dig KMFDM's WWIII.  The title track off that album stands on its own as industrial or metal.  Buy the album with cash.  60 years ago, people wound up in the camps for haiving the wrong kinds of music.  Learn from their mistakes.

One must search for KMFDM.

Hell, go to Arkansas, you'll end up in prison for listening to the wrong kind of music.

The strangest looks I ever recieved were in Arkansas.
Long hair, leather pants and tight jeans.

Never again.

Written By: rich1981 on 05/20/06 at 7:49 pm

I read some articles stating that violent crime is up in 2006 from 2005, at least here in San Diego.

It may be because a lot of the police officers in San Diego (my home town) have left to other cities because of lack of raises in the department.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/06 at 9:44 pm

Psycho by the name of Nathan Gale opened fire Killing Dime, A security guy by the name of Jeff and two fans.
He also wounded three other folks.

Actually, I was misremembering the murders, I forgot the others killed were two fans and the security guy. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/06 at 10:14 pm

to (industrial, 1990)  KMFDM's Godlike, to (really fringy industrial, 1993)  Some More Crime 10.6.5, which is why I came into this thread in the first place.

KMFDM ist nicht Industrial music!!!
Neither is Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, or Prodigy!
OK, there are plausible arguments for their inclusion. I mean, what "Industrial" music started out as and what it became are two different things. Those bands are included in the pantheon of Industrial music, but I wish they were not.
The Wikipedia article does a pretty good job with the basics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_music
It's just that if I start talking about Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, Controlled Bleeding, or If Bwana  (let alone Erik Satie, John Cage, Luigi Russolo, or Pierre Schaeffer) to your average Ministry or KMFDM fan, all I'd get in response would be dumb looks!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

But I digress from topic...

Written By: Tia on 05/20/06 at 10:44 pm

is hanzel und gretyl industrial music?

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/06 at 11:21 pm

KMFDM ist nicht Industrial music!!!

Ja!

It took me a long time to adjust to the idea that guitars could be part of industrial.  My personal genres are "industrial" (the real stuff - EN, TG, etc), "industrial-EBM" (242, some FLA, very early Ministry, early KFMDM), "industrial-rock" (the usual suspects) -- because I got tired of getting the same blank stares too.  So I joined the horde by giving all such bands the "industrial" benefit of the doubt.

(With the exception of Prodigy.  If Prodigy was singing about dystopia, they'd marginally qualify as EBM.  But since they sing about music and dancing, no way.  I've filed 'em under "electro", which I categorize as a subgenre of "techno".)

For a good blend of industrial-EBM and industrial-rock, you can't go wrong with Front Line Assembly.  "Artificial Soldier" just came out a few days ago - probably their best stuff in a decade.  And yes, that is Jean-Luc DeMeyer of F242 fame you're hearing on one of those tracks.

Check for new replies or respond here...