inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Da Vinci Code

Written By: Satish on 05/19/06 at 1:20 pm

The novel was a cultural phenomenon, and now The Da Vinci Code has been released as a huge, blockbuster movie. The story it tells of a centuries-old conspiracy in the Catholic Church has caused quite a few religous groups around the world to be offended, some of them even calling for a boycott of the film.

In our secular, modern world, it's a bit surprising that a story about the church and Jesus Christ has been able to captivate the public in such a way. Its portrayal of the Catholic Church as a secretive and manipulative institution probably resonates with people who were already sceptical about organized religion.

So, what's everyone think of The Da Vinci Code? Have you read the book or seen the movie? Did you like it or dislike it?

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/reviews.html
http://www.randomhouse.com/doubleday/davinci/
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

Subject: Re: The Da Vinci Code

Written By: Jessica on 05/19/06 at 1:30 pm

On the recommendation of a dear friend, I read the book and was captivated. There is one part about a certain Leonardo Da Vinci painting that I have been dwelling on for years. Dan Brown's imaginative explanation of it is certainly plausible in my mind. And yes, I am going to see the movie, despite the idiots around this county raising protests about it.  ::)

It was a tremendous book and I certainly hope that the movie lives up to it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/06 at 1:33 pm

I found the book to be a real page-turner, and easy to read, with the plot following a logic path. As for wishing to see the film, I will give it a try.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/19/06 at 1:44 pm

I loved the novel and plan to rush out and see the film tonight!!! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/06 at 1:51 pm

The subject matter of The Da Vinci Code has always intrigued me since reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail back in the early 80s.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 05/19/06 at 1:55 pm

I loved the book and will eventually see the movie....

Written By: Mushroom on 05/19/06 at 3:09 pm

I have been watching the History Channel all week, because their entire primetime lineup has been about the code, and the speculations and controversy behind it.  Last week, the Discovery Channel did several specials.

And tonight, they are doing a 1 hour special with one of the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

However, nothing stated in either of these books is new.  The beliefs of Jesus being married go way back to the Gnostic teachings of 1800+ years ago.  And if you know how to read the Bible while keeping in mind Jewish traditions, a lot of it starts to make sense.

I have not read the book, but I am thinking about watching the movie.  However, I recognize that it is Fiction, and will view it as such.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/19/06 at 3:23 pm

I tried to read this book three times and found it a snoozer.  I'll wait for the DVD, and only then because it is a
Ron Howard movie.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/19/06 at 10:07 pm

Conspiracy, you say?

Robert Anton Wilson did it better in The Illuminatus Trilogy.  Explains the same conspiracies that Brown "explained".  More sex. More violence. More coarse language. As a bonus, he also covered why there's a pyramid on the back of the $1 bill, the untimedly demise of JFK, and exactly what the pilots of flight seventy plus six plus one were trying to accomplish.

He did it in 1973.  Every word is true.  fnord.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/06 at 3:16 am

Conspiracy, you say?

Robert Anton Wilson did it better in The Illuminatus Trilogy.  Explains the same conspiracies that Brown "explained".  More sex. More violence. More coarse language. As a bonus, he also covered why there's a pyramid on the back of the $1 bill, the untimedly demise of JFK, and exactly what the pilots of flight seventy plus six plus one were trying to accomplish.

He did it in 1973.  Every word is true.  fnord.
Why is there a pyramid on the back of the $1?

Written By: danootaandme on 05/20/06 at 6:57 am

Why is there a pyramid on the back of the $1?

Masonic symbol.  The book is not the revelation Foo Bar seems to believe it is.

http://watch.pair.com/eye.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/06 at 9:33 am

http://watch.pair.com/eye.jpg
Thanks, the triangle does hold its own mysteries, and the first thought that came to me is the glass triangle in front of The Louvre.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/21/06 at 12:01 am

Own the book, and saw the movie today. It was ok.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/23/06 at 11:08 pm

That's just what you'd expect him to say!  Danoota&Me is obviously FNORD part of the conspiracy.  (Of course, that's exactly what I'd say if I was fnord part of the conspiracy.)  Maybe we both are.  (fnord!)  Or neither of us are.  Or maybe all four FNORD! at once.  Everything I tell you is both true and false and nonsensical.

Maybe a whole bunch of groups are all part of different conspiracies, and they're just using each other's names to cover their tracks?    Knowledge  is  power. 

Speaking of which, does anyone else on this thread have the logo for the "Total fnord Information fnord Awareness" project as their desktop background?

(A screaming comes across the sky... if you really enjoy conspiracy theory, Pynchon did it first and best in Gravity's Rainbow, but Wilson's cultural references are a lot more accessible to those of us who weren't around in the 40s/50s.)

Written By: karen on 05/24/06 at 5:52 am

I read the book and loved it.  We are hoping to go and see the movie

Check for new replies or respond here...