inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is 2006 the beginning of early '10s culture?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/20/06 at 11:42 pm

Just like how 1986 brought on the earliest "Nineties" things, and 1997 the first "Zeroes" things, would anyone say 2006 is a taste of the 2010s? This year seems kind of "off", like a very watered out version of the early '00s.

Subject: Re: Is 2006 the beginning of early '10s culture?

Written By: CeeKay on 05/20/06 at 11:46 pm

Personally, I can't follow all of this very well.  Perhaps it's my age.  But the 90s, the 00s, and whatever's coming in the 10's -- it all blends together for me.  But I see the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s as pretty well defined.  I do think it has to do with the busy-ness of being a working parent.  Anyway, seems to me a shift in '06 doesn't necessarily say anything about 2010 and we won't know for another five years or so whether there's any connection.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/20/06 at 11:51 pm

There may be some signs of early '10s culture out there, but it's still hard to see.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/20/06 at 11:52 pm

Personally, I can't follow all of this very well.  Perhaps it's my age.  But the 90s, the 00s, and whatever's coming in the 10's -- it all blends together for me.  But I see the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s as pretty well defined.  I do think it has to do with the busy-ness of being a working parent.  Anyway, seems to me a shift in '06 doesn't necessarily say anything about 2010 and we won't know for another five years or so whether there's any connection.

To use a corralating example - wouldn't you say the very first "80s" things started around 1978? Sure, it was still the heart of the Disco era and MTV was still a few years off, but some very "rough" and primitive '80s type things, such as VCRs began getting popular.

I think that's what Donnie is saying.

I'll admit you sort of have to look harder for differences in pop culture since 1997, and it hasn't been MASSIVE since 1991, but it's still there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/06 at 12:10 am

BTW, I have a feeling the '10s will be a less "urban" '00s with a combination of '80s retro nostalgia (you could argue its already been around since 2003ish, but it can't seem to really peak through like '50s, 60s and '70s nostalgia did) with more "underground" stuff being popular - i.e. independent movies.

But I think it's actually sort of the "inbetween" period. The '10s probably will have a start around 2009-12.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:16 am

I think the '10s will be a much more down-to-earth, less materialistic, less "urban" and more "suburban" and quiet sort of decade with heavy late '80s and early-mid '90s influence. It'll be alot like the Home Alone era.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:20 am

I also think that '80s nostalgia will probably peak around 2007. I think we'll be going into a recession, which will create '10s culture. And much more down-to-earth, "Generation Z" type, almost cynical styles will be popular. Like alot less being primped-up, in every sense of the word.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/06 at 12:22 am

I also think that '80s nostalgia will probably peak around 2007. I think we'll be going into a recession, which will create '10s culture. And much more down-to-earth, "Generation Z" type, almost cynical styles will be popular. Like alot less being primped-up, in every sense of the word.

I can agree with that - if '80s nostalgia peaks in the late '00s, and there's a recession before too long, that'll sort of mirror the early '90s recession.

Do you think the bulk of '00s nostalgia will be like Home Alone/Ninja Turtles/Warrant-esque hair metal/Full House early '90s stuff? I hope if there's '90s nostalgia, it's more concentrated on that era, or at least pre-1997. If you're right about '80s nostalgia, that's sad to think that in 5 years, they'll be too old to even be retro cool. :\'(

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/21/06 at 12:24 am

I think the current culture we are in started in 2005. 1997 was the year that started the late 90's/early 00's culture (1997-2004), and 1989 was the year that started the early to mid 90's culture (1989-1996). Based on this pattern, we should see another change in 2013.  

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:34 am

I can agree with that - if '80s nostalgia peaks in the late '00s, and there's a recession before too long, that'll sort of mirror the early '90s recession.

Do you think the bulk of '00s nostalgia will be like Home Alone/Ninja Turtles/Warrant-esque hair metal/Full House early '90s stuff? I hope if there's '90s nostalgia, it's more concentrated on that era, or at least pre-1997. If you're right about '80s nostalgia, that's sad to think that in 5 years, they'll be too old to even be retro cool. :\'(

I don't think '10s late '80s and '90s nostalgia will go as far as Britney Spears and nu metal, things which were maintained through the early '00s. So far, '00s '80s nostalgia has been for stuff like new wave/post-punk and '80s pop, some of the styles and interior decoration, the general attitudes/ethos of the Reaganite '80s, and some movies like Footloose and the whole John Hughes/"brat pack" catalogue. Also, there've been alot of movies set in the early-mid '80s. I think the late '80s-early '90s, like the 1987-1994 or so period, will have a resurgence with the popularity of old school hip-hop type culture, traditional college rock and "indie rock"/alt rock, grunge, cheesy dance-pop and club music, and stuff like Full House that you mentioned. I also think there'll be alot of nostalgia for the classic TV animation of that era and the sitcoms that were popular back then in general in the early '10s, and the "Gen X" renaissance.

Do you think Gen Z will be the new Gen X, much as the Yers are for better or for worse sort of a watered-down boomers? I think they'll be far more cynical and less materialistic.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:35 am

As for the original topic...I think some signs of early '10s culture might be coming out later this year, like by this winter, but I don't think it'll really be noticeable until maybe '07-'08. Things are always seen more clearly in hindsight, anyway.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/06 at 12:42 am

I don't think '10s late '80s and '90s nostalgia will go as far as Britney Spears and nu metal, things which were maintained through the early '00s. So far, '00s '80s nostalgia has been for stuff like new wave/post-punk and '80s pop, some of the styles and interior decoration, the general attitudes/ethos of the Reaganite '80s, and some movies like Footloose and the whole John Hughes/"brat pack" catalogue. Also, there've been alot of movies set in the early-mid '80s. I think the late '80s-early '90s, like the 1987-1994 or so period, will have a resurgence with the popularity of old school hip-hop type culture, traditional college rock and "indie rock"/alt rock, grunge, cheesy dance-pop and club music, and stuff like Full House that you mentioned. I also think there'll be alot of nostalgia for the classic TV animation of that era and the sitcoms that were popular back then in general in the early '10s, and the "Gen X" renaissance.

Do you think Gen Z will be the new Gen X, much as the Yers are for better or for worse sort of a watered-down boomers? I think they'll be far more cynical and less materialistic.

Yeah, I could see Zers being like the "new Xers" but also different in their own ways too. I think the more time passes, the "closer" kids/teens will be to their parents' stuff. Sort of like how some '00s teens share a bond with their former '70s teen parents -- even if it's in some not so good ways, like smoking weed -- so the '70s have been retro cool from, like 1993-04 and still to a lesser extent, they are.

That's alot different than, say a '70s teen born in 1958. I'm sure they thought their parents' 1940's stuff was beyond ancient, but because so much stuff is around now, it's less likely the newer generations will totally dismiss past stuff just because it's "old".

BTW, would you agree the '80s still seem too recent in many ways, to really be the "parents" decade (even if they're 17-26 years past, which, especially for the Fast Times-esque early '80s, is almost a full generation)? They still kinda seem like the "cool older brother" era if you know what I mean.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 12:48 am

Yeah, I could see Zers being like the "new Xers" but also different in their own ways too. I think the more time passes, the "closer" kids/teens will be to their parents' stuff. Sort of like how some '00s teens share a bond with their former '70s teen parents -- even if it's in some not so good ways, like smoking weed -- so the '70s have been retro cool from, like 1993-04 and still to a lesser extent, they are.

That's alot different than, say a '70s teen born in 1958. I'm sure they thought their parents' 1940's stuff was beyond ancient, but because so much stuff is around now, it's less likely the newer generations will totally dismiss past stuff just because it's "old".

BTW, would you agree the '80s still seem too recent in many ways, to really be the "parents" decade (even if they're 17-26 years past, which, especially for the Fast Times-esque early '80s, is almost a full generation)? They still kinda seem like the "cool older brother" era if you know what I mean.

I think they're waay to recent to be the parent's decade like the '70s are to '00s teens. They'll probably be the parent's decade to '10s teens. Also, we're still basically in the same era and way of being as the '80s. So, what sort of musical/TV/style movements do you think will characterize the early '10s? I think it'll be started by a recession and the return of down-to-earth, layered styles and a movement away to smarter, "old-school" influenced rap, leading to some new alternative hard rock and alternative rap movement. And some sort of Latin-inspired dance music will be absolutely huge.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/21/06 at 12:58 am

I think they're waay to recent to be the parent's decade like the '70s are to '00s teens. They'll probably be the parent's decade to '10s teens. Also, we're still basically in the same era and way of being as the '80s. So, what sort of musical/TV/style movements do you think will characterize the early '10s? I think it'll be started by a recession and the return of down-to-earth, layered styles and a movement away to smarter, "old-school" influenced rap, leading to some new alternative hard rock and alternative rap movement. And some sort of Latin-inspired dance music will be absolutely huge.

I think they'll only strictly be the "parents" decade in terms of calendar years, at least until 2018-2020ish. The '70s are the parents' era to '00s teens, but because they share enough in common (aided by the still present '70s nostalgia ;) ), it's almost somewhat of that "older sibling" era. The '60s is the first era to me that truly seems removed enough to be 100% "parentlike (even if it has shreds of relevant coolness too) -- although in Family Ties, they were parentlike by 1983 too. ;D

Unless some major MTV-like phenomenon comes along, I think 1982-2020 will kind of be its own rough era, just in ways of life, etc.

I think the 10s could probably be a backlash against the Conservative Bush-era '00s. Heck, it'll probably backlash it in many other ways, too. Rap tended to be "smarter" in the '90s I think, so I could see a return to that (maybe political rap too). There seems to be a Latin pop thing every 12ish years -- Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam and Gloria Estefan (1986-89) and Ricky Martin/Enrique Iglacious (late 1998-2001), so there could be another one around 2011ish. Several forms of rock will probably surface or make a comeback, since the 1997-2006 era seems relatively unrockish.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 1:13 am

I think they'll only strictly be the "parents" decade in terms of calendar years, at least until 2018-2020ish. The '70s are the parents' era to '00s teens, but because they share enough in common (aided by the still present '70s nostalgia ;) ), it's almost somewhat of that "older sibling" era. The '60s is the first era to me that truly seems removed enough to be 100% "parentlike (even if it has shreds of relevant coolness too) -- although in Family Ties, they were parentlike by 1983 too. ;D

Unless some major MTV-like phenomenon comes along, I think 1982-2020 will kind of be its own rough era, just in ways of life, etc.

I think the 10s could probably be a backlash against the Conservative Bush-era '00s. Heck, it'll probably backlash it in many other ways, too. Rap tended to be "smarter" in the '90s I think, so I could see a return to that (maybe political rap too). There seems to be a Latin pop thing every 12ish years -- Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam and Gloria Estefan (1986-89) and Ricky Martin/Enrique Iglacious (late 1998-2001), so there could be another one around 2011ish. Several forms of rock will probably surface or make a comeback, since the 1997-2006 era seems relatively unrockish.

I think in the early '10s, like around 2011, there will be some big revival of late '80s alt rock and the uber-grungey, backwards baseball cap and dirty hair styles associated with it, and emo and glam rap and anything associated will be hated as much as hair metal was in 1993. I don't think the '10s will be about party music. There might be some revival of electrofunk or white alternative funk-rock, or some big form of extended play club music that comes out and is huge for awhile. And as I said, some new form of alt hard rock and college rock. I actually created this hybrid sound, the "Chicago Sound", that's a combination of disco and funk rock guitar riffs with alot of new wave and late '80s-early '90s old school hip hop and cheesy dance-pop that would be huge in the '10s. Maybe jam bands in some form will get big again. And I think later in the '10s there will be a revival of commercial rock in the '70s sense, like a classic rock revival that also embraces '80s and '90s alt rock influences such as Pavement and is immensely popular.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 8:12 am

Do you think the 10s will be a cornier decade than the 00s? With the baseball caps.etc. Will there be a collective embracing of daginess? ;D

Written By: 1993 on 05/21/06 at 12:22 pm

too early to tell, I think we got our first glimpse of the 90's around mid 88. We probably won't get many "hints" of what the coming decade will be until 2008...the presidential election might tell us alot about where we're going.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/21/06 at 2:18 pm

Just like how 1986 brought on the earliest "Nineties" things, and 1997 the first "Zeroes" things, would anyone say 2006 is a taste of the 2010s? This year seems kind of "off", like a very watered out version of the early '00s.

There may be a few trace element of what will be '10s culture but not too many so far. 2006 is still very '00s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/21/06 at 2:38 pm

There may be a few trace element of what will be '10s culture but not too many so far. 2006 is still very '00s.

I agree as usual, machine head :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/21/06 at 5:47 pm

Of course we can't really tell yet, as the 10s might well be a carbon copy of the 00s!  ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/21/06 at 8:32 pm

I agree as usual, machine head :)

Yeah, I agree as well.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/21/06 at 11:25 pm

To use a corralating example - wouldn't you say the very first "80s" things started around 1978? Sure, it was still the heart of the Disco era and MTV was still a few years off, but some very "rough" and primitive '80s type things, such as VCRs began getting popular.

I think that's what Donnie is saying.

I'll admit you sort of have to look harder for differences in pop culture since 1997, and it hasn't been MASSIVE since 1991, but it's still there.

Sure, I understand the concept.  But it's all in hindsight.  I guess it's fun to ponder but many things could happen in the next five or six years to shift the cultural trends.

Check for new replies or respond here...