inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eurovision Song Contest: Just What Is It All About?

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/21/06 at 10:19 am

Note: This thread is still under construction. Additions/contributions by others are welcomed.

Especially for those of you who might have read the Longest Thread Ever and didn't have a clue as to what we were talking about I've created this thread. In future contributions I will try to explain a little something about the history of the event and post some historic highlights.

For now, here's the Top 10 of the 2006 edition.

01. Hard Rock Hallelujah - Lordi (Finland)

02. Never Let You Go - Dima Bilan (Russia)

03. Lejla - Hari Mata Hari (Bosnia & Herzegovina)

04. Torner

Subject: Re: Eurovision Song Contest: Just What Is It All About?

Written By: Criz on 05/21/06 at 1:06 pm

I have to say...I ADORE the Eurovision.

Now - as sad as it may seem, I don't care. It's my biggest guilty pleasure! I watch it religiously every year. As I am from Cypriot origin - just to see Greece and Cyprus give each other 12 points is entertainment in itself :P So I was therefore a bit gutted when Cyprus didin't get through into the finals (but it's not surprising as the song was awful!)

I have to say there weren't a lot of very strong entries this year - I can't quite understand why FInland won. I though Romania would have done a little better and was surprised that Belguim didn't get past the semi's. The UKs song was shocking - Daz 'idot' Samson even placed

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/21/06 at 2:02 pm

I have to say...I ADORE the Eurovision.

Now - as sad as it may seem, I don't care. It's my biggest guilty pleasure! I watch it religiously every year. As I am from Cypriot origin - just to see Greece and Cyprus give each other 12 points is entertainment in itself :P So I was therefore a bit gutted when Cyprus didin't get through into the finals (but it's not surprising as the song was awful!)

You're right, the song was awful. On a 1 to 10 scale (10 being best) I gave it a 2. It was just about as awful as the Iceland song "Congratulations", but slightly better than the Monaco song "La Coco-Dance" (which was absolutely cringeworthy).
As much as I hate to see Cyprus and Greece exchanging 12 points, there's nothing much that can be done about it. It's just inherent in the televoting system, just like the Balkan and Scandinavian countries rewarding eachother.

I have to say there weren't a lot of very strong entries this year - I can't quite understand why FInland won. I though Romania would have done a little better and was surprised that Belguim didn't get past the semi's. The UKs song was shocking - Daz 'idot' Samson even placed

Written By: Criz on 05/21/06 at 2:07 pm

Finland was the obvious winner: they did what no-one else had done before. The Contest isn't about the songs anymore, you know... (although a really good song, like Bosnia & Herzegovina's, always gets high votes).

Unfortunatly it seems to have not been about the songs for as long as I can remember - apparently Italy refuse to take part in protest of all the political voting that takes place. I can see where you're coming from now with the Finish entry - and in a way I'm glad that it wasd them instead of a pretty female singer who strips off just to get votes.

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/21/06 at 2:35 pm

Unfortunatly it seems to have not been about the songs for as long as I can remember - apparently Italy refuse to take part in protest of all the political voting that takes place. I can see where you're coming from now with the Finish entry - and in a way I'm glad that it wasd them instead of a pretty female singer who strips off just to get votes.

It all seems to have gone wrong somewhere in the mid 90s, with the introduction of televoting. Before that, it was about the songs (well, mostly about the songs - there's always been political sentiments involved). Today it seems to become more and more of a freak show, and even more about political sentiments.

Italy hasn't participated since 1997 (when they ended up in 4th place, btw). It has its own song contest (the famous San Remo Festival), which still is about songs.

A pretty female stripping... don't give us any ideas for next years entry! ::) ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/21/06 at 2:44 pm

I didn't watch it last night. I find it's just too heavy-going. Watching all those songs and then going through the laborious marking system. Still, I'm not surprised that Lordi (Finland) won - in fact, my brother won

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/21/06 at 2:56 pm

I didn't watch it last night. I find it's just too heavy-going. Watching all those songs and then going through the laborious marking system. Still, I'm not surprised that Lordi (Finland) won - in fact, my brother won

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 6:36 am

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I love the fact Lordi won.
I'm sure it is because there has never been anything like it in the show before which is why they got the votes ! How much do you bet there will be 4 or 5 heavy metal acts in next years show ??
I love the fact that every year you have a decent batch of dreadful songs by people who can't sing to save their lives, good old eurovision!
My favourite song this year was Denmark ! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/06 at 6:40 am

Shouldn't it be the song that is the winner not the performer?

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 6:46 am

Nah, not with Eurovision, it's the whole package I think.

Written By: Paul on 05/22/06 at 6:56 am

Used to be...in the very early contests, the performers would stand stock still and just sing...leaping about or wearing outlandish costumes was a no-no...

But with the passage of time it's become more and more geared to performance...

Apart from the time when Ireland won it 19 years in a row...I think they were trying to conquer Europe through tedium!

Written By: philbo on 05/22/06 at 10:46 am

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I love the fact Lordi won.

When Lordi had finished, I said to my daughter that I thought it was great that such a song got through, and what a shame it was that there ain't no way it would win..  I think the judges have got more imagination than I had previously given them credit for.

I love the fact that every year you have a decent batch of dreadful songs by people who can't sing to save their lives, good old eurovision!

I hate the way nearly every song (well, at least those sung in English - couldn't be sure about the others) had the same tired old clich

Written By: karen on 05/22/06 at 11:00 am

I will admit to only watching bits of the programme this year.  We flicked between Eurovision and The Prince's Trust 30th Birthday show on ITV.  Did manage to catch the Finnish entry though.  And missed the British one!  Hubby predicted the Finns would win.

A pretty female stripping... don't give us any ideas for next years entry! ::) ;)

Well I remember at least two female singers taking their skirts off this year (We beat them to that stunt by about 20 years!)

Written By: Bobby on 05/22/06 at 11:02 am

Are you kidding me? :o The marking system is the most exciting part of the evening! :)

Except that it is getting laborious these days, with all 38 participating countries getting to mark... :-\\
I used to write all markings down, but that proved impossible this year because the marks 1 to 7 given by each country were no longer read out loud (they were only shown on the board). Well, it did help to speed up things...

It's only exciting if there is a song from your country to route for . . . and I'm afraid the UK entry was a pile of pants so didn't have the heart to sit through it.

The most exciting marking system for me was back in 1988 when Scott Fitzgerald from the UK was beaten by Celine Dion by the very last country to vote!

Written By: Gis on 05/22/06 at 12:16 pm

When Lordi had finished, I said to my daughter that I thought it was great that such a song got through, and what a shame it was that there ain't no way it would win..  I think the judges have got more imagination than I had previously given them credit for.
I hate the way nearly every song (well, at least those sung in English - couldn't be sure about the others) had the same tired old clich

Written By: Criz on 05/23/06 at 3:32 am

I will admit to only watching bits of the programme this year.  We flicked between Eurovision and The Prince's Trust 30th Birthday show on ITV.  Did manage to catch the Finnish entry though.  And missed the British one!  Hubby predicted the Finns would win.

Well I remember at least two female singers taking their skirts off this year (We beat them to that stunt by about 20 years!)

If you're refering to Bucks Fizz - then fair enough - that was very tame compared to say, the Moldovian entry this year!!

Written By: philbo on 05/24/06 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for the parody link I loved it !  ;D

:-D

Written By: FaultyDog on 05/25/06 at 5:44 am

I've updated the first post of this thread and added info on the origins and early years (1956 - 1964) of the Contest.

Written By: philbo on 06/07/06 at 3:42 pm

If you're refering to Bucks Fizz - then fair enough - that was very tame compared to say, the Moldovian entry this year!!

But a much better spoonerism...

Written By: whistledog on 06/07/06 at 8:14 pm

I never really understood how the Eurovision contest worked exactly ...

The 1986 Entry from Luxembourg was "L'amour de ma vie" by Sherrise Laurence (who is a Canadian)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/06 at 1:55 am

The 1986 Entry from Luxembourg was "L'amour de ma vie" by Sherrise Laurence (who is a Canadian)
Even Celine Dion, who is Canadian, represented Switzerland.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/06 at 2:09 am

Even Celine Dion, who is Canadian, represented Switzerland.

Celine?  Wow!  Now I am really confused  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/06 at 2:15 am

Celine?  Wow!  Now I am really confused  ???
Celine Dion wore a tutu while singing.

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/06 at 2:21 am

Celine Dion wore a tutu while singing.

LOL Now that would have been as ight to see ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/06 at 2:23 am

LOL Now that would have been as ight to see ;D
Hoping that it works and is the right picture.

http://www.eurovision-fr.net/histoire/images_88/ch_002.gif

Written By: Paul on 06/08/06 at 6:53 am

I don't think anyone does!

There can't be very many 'naturalised' Luxembourg singers...

Vicky (Leandros) represented the country twice...and she was Greek!

Hers must be the only occurrence where her unsuccessful song ('Love Is Blue' 1967) became a far better-known hit than her winning song ('Apres Toi' aka 'Come What May' 1972)

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/08/06 at 3:01 pm

I don't think anyone does!

There can't be very many 'naturalised' Luxembourg singers...

Vicky (Leandros) represented the country twice...and she was Greek!

Hers must be the only occurrence where her unsuccessful song ('Love Is Blue' 1967) became a far better-known hit than her winning song ('Apres Toi' aka 'Come What May' 1972)

As I understand it, at one point in time, the song was charted in US Billbaord Hot 100 in 4 different versions - but neither one of them was the original by Vicky Leandros... How sad is that?

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/08/06 at 3:08 pm

It's really quite simple though: you can send whomever you like to sing whatever you like. There's no rule stating that the contestant must have the nationality of the country he/she represents (and in fact, you're respresenting a broadcasting corporation, not a country as such).

Of course, there's always certain things you shouldn't do - like submitting a song with a political statement, as Finland found out in 1982.

Written By: Paul on 06/08/06 at 3:25 pm

As I understand it, at one point in time, the song was charted in US Billbaord Hot 100 in 4 different versions - but neither one of them was the original by Vicky Leandros... How sad is that?

Very...but I think her version was big in Europe (obviously!)

And I gather she's also had many, many big sellers there over the years...

Written By: FaultyDog on 06/08/06 at 3:33 pm

Very...but I think her version was big in Europe (obviously!)

It didn't chart in the Netherlands, though. :-\\

And I gather she's also had many, many big sellers there over the years...

It all started with "Apr

Written By: Paul on 06/08/06 at 4:15 pm

It didn't chart in the Netherlands, though. :-\\

How surprising!

Had a quick browse thru' an old Eurovision article in one of my magazines and it just said 'huge hit in Europe', which isn't exactly helpful... :-\\

It all started with "Apr

Written By: Henk on 01/24/09 at 2:10 pm

Here's another old thread on the ESC.

For all of you still interested: I've started something new, something fresh...

Check for new replies or respond here...