inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What will the '10s be like?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/22/06 at 5:33 pm

I'm going to say "Better than the '00s".

Subject: Re: What will the '10s be like?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 5:55 pm

Since I don't think the '00s are anything like the '90s, I'm going to say "better than the '00s, but inspired by the late '80s and early-mid '90s." I think the '00s are a second '80s in terms of their materialism and cheesiness, but without the inventiveness of the '80s. I don't think the '10s will be a carbon copy of the late '80s-mid '90s period, but they'll definitely be inspired by the down-to-earth, indie spirit of the whole period and probably be somewhat musically and fashion-wise influenced by them. But I think they won't be very urban and will have alienated teenagers, so it'll be a little '80slike. It'll be a "white" decade in many respects.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/22/06 at 6:04 pm

I'm going to say equal in quality to the '00s. I'm not confident they are going to be better yet.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/22/06 at 6:29 pm

Well, I can't say as to whether the 2010's will be better or worse than the 00's, as my response to the topic about a possible 00's backlash demonstrates.  It definitely won't be a second 00's, and I hope it won't be a third 90's.  Personally, I'd prefer it if the 10's became their decade, instead of becoming another 90's just like the 00's are another 80's.  We've been imitating previous decades since the 80's.  It's about time we get a brand new decade with no precedent.  Of course, that's just idealism and that probably won't occur.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/22/06 at 6:31 pm

Well, I can't say as to whether the 2010's will be better or worse than the 00's, as my response to the topic about a possible 00's backlash demonstrates.  It definitely won't be a second 00's, and I hope it won't be a third 90's.  Personally, I'd prefer it if the 10's became their decade, instead of becoming another 90's just like the 00's are another 80's.  We've been imitating previous decades since the 80's.  It's about time we get a brand new decade with no precedent.  Of course, that's just idealism and that probably won't occur.

Meh, the '00s aren't a second '90s...so I doubt the '10s will be a third '90s. But I think at least it won't be bad in the same way as the '00s, since there'll be a huge backlash against everything oughty.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/22/06 at 6:41 pm

Well, I don't think the 00's are a second 90's.  Far from that, in fact.  I was just using the choices given to me in the poll.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/22/06 at 6:41 pm

Meh, the '00s aren't a second '90s...so I doubt the '10s will be a third '90s. But I think at least it won't be bad in the same way as the '00s, since there'll be a huge backlash against everything oughty.

Yeah the '00s are definitely not another '90s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/22/06 at 8:57 pm

I think the 10's will have a lot of 90's influence. I also think the 10's will be a dynamic decade like the 90's was. I think the early 10's (up to about 2012) will still have some of the styles from now, but 2013 will be the year that will truly define the 10's (may also be known as the "teens"). I also think we will see a lot technological advancements in the 10's.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/22/06 at 11:24 pm

I'm going to join in on this one just to say that I think the 10's will be better than the 00's in that ... I think there will be a dramatic cultural shift.  I have no reason to think this -- it's just a gut feeling.  If nothing else, all my kids will move out on their own in the 10's and it will be a shift for me  ;)

(but really, I think something cool is coming)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/23/06 at 6:13 am

I think the 10's will have a lot of 90's influence. I also think the 10's will be a dynamic decade like the 90's was. I think the early 10's (up to about 2012) will still have some of the styles from now, but 2013 will be the year that will truly define the 10's (may also be known as the "teens"). I also think we will see a lot technological advancements in the 10's.

I actually think tech advancements will slow down. There's usually a pattern of rapid improvement then long development, so maybe the 2020s or 2030s will be the next period of real breakthroughs. Most money will be focused on alternative energy sources.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/06 at 6:27 am

We can only wait and see?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 8:20 am

We can only wait and see?

Yes, what proclivity hath idle speculation brought a man but pointless longing for what thee cannot see with thine mortal conception?

Check for new replies or respond here...