inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It Seems Bad Things Make A Decade Interesting

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:24 am

It seems that past decades were mythologised and remembered largely because of 'bad' or 'negative' things. I.e. the Vietnam War in the late 60s, urban crime in the 70s, bad fashion/materialism/angst in the 80s. Whereas the relatively prosperous 90s were quite bland. The only really interesting thing about the 00s that will be remembered will be Sept 11, terrorism.etc. It seems the most 'peaceful' periods are also the most uneventful.

Subject: Re: It Seems Bad Things Make A Decade Interesting

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/23/06 at 9:29 am

Ah, velly, velly old Chinese ploverb:

"May you live in interesting times."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/smilejap.gif

Written By: CeeKay on 05/23/06 at 9:40 am

It seems that past decades were mythologised and remembered largely because of 'bad' or 'negative' things. I.e. the Vietnam War in the late 60s, urban crime in the 70s, bad fashion/materialism/angst in the 80s. Whereas the relatively prosperous 90s were quite bland. The only really interesting thing about the 00s that will be remembered will be Sept 11, terrorism.etc. It seems the most 'peaceful' periods are also the most uneventful.

This is a good point.  I was thinking about this last night when I said in another thread that I thought the '10s would be "better" than the 00s in that there would be a major cultural shift.  Then I thought that major cultural shifts are usually predicated by some major tragedy or widespread struggle.  Then I thought about the article I read about us becoming spoiled (the "hypochondriac" thing if you read the politics/religion stuff) and trying to solve pr avoid every little problem for ourselves.  This approach can lead to nothing but dull times, hm?

It reminds me of a neighborhood not too far from me.  Fairly new (last decade), covenant controlled.  The houses are all in shades of grey and beige.  They tell you what you can plant in your front yard, what color to paint your front door, how many cars can park in your driveway, etc.  This brings the result of a quiet, orderly neighborhood -- which also has no character because it's too controlled.

Decades, perhaps, are like that too.  At least in the U.S., even though we had/have Katrina and the War, in most of the country you'd never know it.  Shades of grey and beige.....whether on an entire neighborhood or the culture of a nation....don't make for very interesting culture.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/23/06 at 1:42 pm

I agree. That's why nobody cares about the '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 9:41 pm

I agree. That's why nobody cares about the '90s.

There was alot of bad stuff in the 90s, but it just happened 'under the radar' in places like Ethiopia/Somalia, Irian Jaya; the only publicised conflicts were the Gulf War, Rwanda, the Bosnian War, Kosovo.etc. The decade will also be remembered for the death of Princess Diana, the O.J. Simpson trial, and alot of really banal TV court cases.

Check for new replies or respond here...