inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ghost Channels

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/24/06 at 2:51 pm

What are the names of channels on Cable\Sattelight that are no more, and what did you think about them?

Here are a few that I've noticed-

Discovery People: I only liked one program on it called "Neatstuff"
Intro: A very unique channel that showcased a different channel for the day like SciFi, Military, ect.
Newsworld: A Canadian newschannel in the US that was bought out and turned into Current TV.
Tech TV: A channel that was completely absorbed and obliterated by G4.
?: There was one that went out a few months ago but I forgot which one it was. 

Subject: Re: Ghost Channels

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/24/06 at 2:55 pm

There was TNN (The Nashville Network) if was replaced/changed to SpikeTV. 

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/24/06 at 2:57 pm

Actually to answer my own question, here's a list from Wikipedia under cable channels.

-------------

Defunct cable/satellite networks (no longer in existence under any name)
All News Channel
America's Voice (aka National Empowerment Television, or NET)
The Box - Music video channel; ceased operations in the U.S. about a year after it was purchased by Viacom.
Cable Video Store (pay-per-view)
CBS Cable
CBS Eye on People - relaunched as Discovery People
CBS TeleNoticias
Channel America
Channel Earth - Broadcasted programming directed at farmers and ranchers via DirecTV.
CNNfn (1995-2004)
CNN-Sports Illustrated (1996-2002)
Empire Sports Network
Fish TV - Christian music videos
Home Theater Network (HTN)
Kaleidoscope - Channel for the disabled.
Main Street TV
New Abilities TV Network - Free-to-air satellite channel showing classic movies / series and talk shows. Ran by For the People radio show host Chuck Harder. Existed briefly in the mid-2000's.
NewSport (1994-1997)
NewsTalk Television - launched as the Talk Channel
ON-TV
PBS YOU
Praise TV - Christian music video channel owned by Paxson Communications
Prime Network (1983-1997)
Q Television Network
Request TV (pay-per-view)
Satellite News Channel (SNC) - news, a joint venture between ABC and Group W
SelecTV
Sports Time (St. Louis and Midwest Cable Sports station)
SportsChannel America (1988-1993)
Sportsvision (1983-1989)
Spotlight (premium movies)
SuperTV
Syndicated Entertainment Television
Tempo Television (aka Satellite Programming Network, or SPN) (c. 1978-1989)
The Football Network
TV Guide On Screen - Existed briefly in the 1990s, airing on some cable systems in lieu of Prevue Channel. TV Guide wanted back in the game, so they purchased Prevue in 1999 and renamed it TV Guide Channel.
Wometco Home Theater
WOR EMI Service (National version of New York City's WWOR-TV (c. 1989-1997)
Z Channel
Z Music - Christian music videos. Purchased by Gaylord Entertainment about 1995; ceased operations after Gaylord was purchased by Viacom

Networks that have ceased operations to become another network
America's Health Network - relaunched simply the Health Network; eventually relaunched as FitTV
America's Talking - relaunched as MSNBC
Cable Health Club - renamed FitTV. Went off the air, but the naming rights were bought by Discovery Networks, who brought back FitTV after they purchased the Health Network
Classic Sports Network - purchased by ESPN and renamed ESPN Classic
INTRO Television - originally called TV!; renamed INTRO Television, carrying the same programming format. Replaced by Encore PLEX (eventually changed to MOVIEPlex) in 1995
MuchUSA - re-branded as Fuse
Newsworld International - purchased by Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, relaunched as Current TV in August 2005
Odyssey - originally launched as 2 separate networks, ACTS (a Christian teaching channel) and VISN (interfaith programming). VISN and ACTS merged and became Faith & Values Channel. The network was renamed again in 1996 as Odyssey. Hallmark and the Jim Henson Company purchased the network, which was relaunched as Hallmark Channel in 2001
PBS Kids Channel - relaunched as PBS Kids Sprout
Prevue Channel - launched as Prevue Guide, then modified slightly into Prevue Channel. Purchased by TV Guide in 1999 and renamed TV Guide Channel
TechTV - purchased by Comcast and merged with G4 in 2004
TNN (The Nashville Network, aka the National Network) - purchased by CBS/Viacom and relaunched as Spike TV
TRIO - relaunched as Sleuth TV in January 2006
VH1 Mega Hits - ceased programming in 2005, became Logo.

Networks that have merged with another network
Financial News Network (purchased by NBC and merged with CNBC in 1991)
HA! - Merged with The Comedy Channel (US) to form Comedy Central.
The Comedy Channel (US, not to be confused with other foreign Comedy Channel-branded networks) - Merged with HA! to form Comedy Central.

Written By: Mushroom on 05/24/06 at 3:41 pm

Oh how can some of these be forgotten?

The Puppy Channel, All dogs, all the time.  For those that just have to say "Awwwwwwwwww" 4-5 times a day.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppy_Channel

Spanish International Network (To bad their station ID was SIN)

America's Talking, with such great shows like a psychiatry show called "Am I Nuts?"

The Ecology Channel, just what we need, a Green channel from Canada. 

MuchUSA, yet another music channel.  It is now called "Fuse", although the name change is good, especially since it is no longer owned by CHUM Limited.  When I think of quality TV, I always think of the station owned by a company that shares a name with "fermented fish guts dumped in the ocean to attract sharks".

MSNBC Canada.  It seems the US version did not have enough French content, so for a few years they were forced to make another version. 

Calliope and Pinwheel, precursors to Nickelodean.  I seem to be about the only one that remembers there were kids channels before Nick came along.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/26/06 at 6:30 pm

The Nostalgia Channel, replaced by TV Land
The Info Channel, featuring nothing but infomercials, replaced (somewhat) by PAX-TV/I Network.

Written By: Apricot on 05/26/06 at 7:21 pm

Dude... the Puppy Channel sounds like da bomb.

Anyway.. Tech TV never went away.. it just merged with G4.. it was G4/Tech TV.. eventually, they dropped the "Tech TV" and it's just G4 again, but they still have the Tech TV shows.

Written By: K.M. Richards on 07/11/07 at 12:44 am

The Nostalgia Channel, replaced by TV Land

Wrong.

The Nostalgia Channel still exists as today's American Life TV.

TV Land was a completely new channel based on Nick At Nite.

Also, from an earlier post ... "Calliope" and "Pinwheel" were not precursors to Nickelodeon.  "Pinwheel" was the morning program segment on Nickelodeon and "Calliope" came later, as USA Network's counter-programming to Nickelodeon.

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/07 at 1:15 am

- 'Prime', a Channel in Canada that aired a mixture of classic TV and home and garden shows is now called 'TVTropolis', a channel solely devoted to Classic TV

- The Original MTV Canada and MTV Canada² are defunct.  Both channels were bought out by CHUM; MTV Canada became 'Razer' and MTV Canada² became an all-request station called 'PunchMuch'.  MTV Canada re-launched in 2005 which now means there are 9 different Music Video Channels in Canada ...

MuchMusic (launched in 1984)
MusiquePlus (launched in 1986)
MuchMoreMusic (launched in 1998)
MuchVibe (launched in 2001)
MuchLOUD (launched in 2001)
Razer (formerly known as MTV Canada) (launched in 2001)
PunchMuch (formerly known as MTV Canada²) (launched in 2001)
MuchMoreRetro (launched in 2003)
MTV Canada (re-launched in 2006)

The funny part .. When MTV Canada originally launched, MuchMusic claimed they were playing too many music videos, so they bought them out.  A music video channel that plays music videos?  Off with their heads :D

Written By: Brian06 on 07/11/07 at 1:25 am

I'm in a another world lol, I thought some of these were still on air.

Written By: JohnDoe on 07/11/07 at 1:42 am

Oh Man, I loved "The Box".  Greatest music channel of all time!

I remember watching it alot from about 1995 to 1998, and you could just call their number and request whatever music video you wanted that was popular at the time by dialing in the 3 letter digits for the specific video.

I still have this strong memory of spending the night at a friend's house back in the Summer of 1996 and we would constantly (Atleast some 20 times) keep requesting "The Crossroads" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.  Good Times  ;)

Written By: Marian on 07/11/07 at 10:42 am

There was TNN (The Nashville Network) if was replaced/changed to SpikeTV. 
I thought it was now CMT.

Written By: Marian on 07/11/07 at 10:43 am

Oh how can some of these be forgotten?

The Puppy Channel, All dogs, all the time.  For those that just have to say "Awwwwwwwwww" 4-5 times a day.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Puppy_Channel

Spanish International Network (To bad their station ID was SIN)

America's Talking, with such great shows like a psychiatry show called "Am I Nuts?"

The Ecology Channel, just what we need, a Green channel from Canada. 

MuchUSA, yet another music channel.  It is now called "Fuse", although the name change is good, especially since it is no longer owned by CHUM Limited.  When I think of quality TV, I always think of the station owned by a company that shares a name with "fermented fish guts dumped in the ocean to attract sharks".

MSNBC Canada.  It seems the US version did not have enough French content, so for a few years they were forced to make another version. 

Calliope and Pinwheel, precursors to Nickelodean.  I seem to be about the only one that remembers there were kids channels before Nick came along.
Doesn't sin mean without in spanish?

Written By: Marian on 07/11/07 at 10:45 am

Oxygen and International channel.

Written By: star500 on 07/11/07 at 10:59 pm

Also on the list of channels that no longer exist, a.k.a. ghost channels are Cable Music Channel (remember that?), Cable Video Store, Carolina Sports and Entertainment Television, Empire Sports Network, Festival TV, Genesis Storytime, Hispanic Television Network, Hughes Television Network, Network One, Newsworld International, Overmyer Network, PBS YOU (I actually remember my high school teacher taped a few specials off this channel for my economics class), Prism, Q Television Network, Sega Channel, Request TV, SelecTV and dozens more. I can't believe there are so many channels that have been eliminated over the years. Also I remembered another Canadian channel that no longer exists: The Pay-Per-View Channel...used to be channel 17 (in the Ottawa area) and they used to show previews of movies that were coming up on PPV.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 07/17/07 at 2:31 am

Oh Man, I loved "The Box".  Greatest music channel of all time!

I remember watching it alot from about 1995 to 1998, and you could just call their number and request whatever music video you wanted that was popular at the time by dialing in the 3 letter digits for the specific video.

I still have this strong memory of spending the night at a friend's house back in the Summer of 1996 and we would constantly (Atleast some 20 times) keep requesting "The Crossroads" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.  Good Times  ;)

I LOVED The Box. I can remember seeing alot of Poe and Korn videos on there.. It was neat, whenever there was nothing on the tele , which there never was and there never is still, I would check out the vidoes.. it was nice cause groups that vnever got Mtv or Vh1 airplay, back when they played videos, U could see different stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...