inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is High School Musical the first Gen Z thing?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/24/06 at 6:10 pm

It seems like a tail-end Y thing to me, but does anyone think it's possible High School Musical might be one of the first Gen Z things?

Subject: Re: Is High School Musical the first Gen Z thing?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/24/06 at 6:12 pm

It seems like a tail-end Y thing to me, but does anyone think it's possible High School Musical might be one of the first Gen Z things?

We had musicals when I was in high school.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/24/06 at 6:12 pm

We had musicals when I was in high school.

I'm referring to the Disney Channel movie.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 6:59 pm

Hmm...it could be. I think Spongebob Squarepants, Shrek, and Finding Nemo are the first "Gen Z kids" things. It seems like it's either tail-end Y or one of the first "YZ" things. What made it so popular?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 7:02 pm

I think that the average high school musical freak is probably born in 1996, so in a way it might be one of the first "Gen Z" things.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/24/06 at 7:02 pm

I think that the average high school musical freak is probably born in 1996, so in a way it might be one of the first "Gen Z" things.

It's very borderline.

Would you say some of the music from it sounds neo-'80s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/24/06 at 7:03 pm

It's very borderline.

Would you say some of the music from it sounds neo-'80s?

Haven't heard it.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/24/06 at 7:04 pm

Haven't heard it.

I'd say 1992-2000 is the High School Musical age span.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/24/06 at 7:04 pm

It's very late y or gen z. Whatever it is, it sucks, lol.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/24/06 at 7:11 pm

I'm referring to the Disney Channel movie.

Oh, I don't watch the Disney Channel.  In fact, I think we had it removed from our cable package.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/06 at 8:54 pm

What comes after Generation Z? Are they going to go back to Generation A? Or, heaven forbid, think of a name for it?

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/06 at 9:03 pm

What comes after Generation Z? Are they going to go back to Generation A? Or, heaven forbid, think of a name for it?

Probably Generation Z

Written By: Electric Blue on 05/24/06 at 9:05 pm

Gen Z
since I doubt there's anybody over 15 that likes the movie or the soundtrack

C'mon, it's not even a real musical and Ashley Tisdale makes Tiffany sound like Brandy

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/24/06 at 10:54 pm

.. I like the name Gen *Insert new letter of the alphabet here*

Written By: sonikuu on 05/25/06 at 2:20 am

I'm happy that I've completely avoided High School Musical altogether.  I don't know a single thing about it other than that the album hangs around in the top ten album sales list like a plague.  Other than that, I have no clue what it is.  I've heard it sucks horribly though, so I'm pretty glad I've managed to avoid it completely.

Personally, I don't care whether it's Gen Y or Z.  Nobody at my high school has even mentioned it, so it doesn't affect me at all.  I also try to keep in as little contact with my annoying little cousins as possible.  

By the way, what is it anyway (basic premise and stuff)?  It's kind of funny that I know practically everything going on in pop culture right now except for this.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/25/06 at 2:33 am

No...High School musicals have always been around (And just as popular). Why do you think that?

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/25/06 at 2:36 am

I'm happy that I've completely avoided High School Musical altogether.  I don't know a single thing about it other than that the album hangs around in the top ten album sales list like a plague.  Other than that, I have no clue what it is.  I've heard it sucks horribly though, so I'm pretty glad I've managed to avoid it completely.

Personally, I don't care whether it's Gen Y or Z.  Nobody at my high school has even mentioned it, so it doesn't affect me at all.  I also try to keep in as little contact with my annoying little cousins as possible.  

By the way, what is it anyway (basic premise and stuff)?  It's kind of funny that I know practically everything going on in pop culture right now except for this.

It's some cheesy Disney TV movie, obviously it has something to do with a musical in a high school, that's about all I know about the storyline. I first found out about it when I saw the soundtrack topping the charts. I would imagine that it's most popular among the 10-15 or so crowd. I have never seen it yet, not do I intend to see it anytime soon, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/25/06 at 12:37 pm

To me it's tail-end Y or Y/Z cusp but not the first true Gen Z thing.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/06 at 12:48 pm

Is this like a new "Kids, Incorporated?"

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 2:37 pm

To me it's tail-end Y or Y/Z cusp but not the first true Gen Z thing.

Well, I'm not sure it's the first "true" Z thing. IMO, the first true Z things are kids programming and movies: Shrek, Little Nemo, Monsters Inc., Spongebob Squarepants, Jimmy Neutron, etc. The same way the first real Gen Y things were The Little Mermaid, Nickelodeon, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/25/06 at 3:05 pm

Well, I'm not sure it's the first "true" Z thing. IMO, the first true Z things are kids programming and movies: Shrek, Little Nemo, Monsters Inc., Spongebob Squarepants, Jimmy Neutron, etc. The same way the first real Gen Y things were The Little Mermaid, Nickelodeon, etc.

Agreed. I forgot all about the kids stuff. The cartoons of the '00s will be the little kid stuff for Gen Z just like cartoons of the '90s were the little kid stuff for Gen Y.

Written By: woops on 05/25/06 at 3:22 pm

It's basically a teen pop version of "Grease", but with horrible songs and mediocre acting.

And it makes "Saved by the Bell" look like a gritty drama...  ::) :P

http://www.ashleytisdale.com/interviews/bop/bop-feb06.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/06 at 8:27 pm

It's basically a teen pop version of "Grease", but with horrible songs and mediocre acting.

Long as we're on that subject -- anyone here heard of Dev2.0?  Classic 80s Devo tracks, with the most relevant lyrics bowdlerized into harmlessness, and sung by kids.  And released under a Disney brand.

Every kid whose parents bought them this video is going to grow up and ask their parents why Mommy and Daddy keep talking about "real" lyrics.  Mark Mothersbaugh is a genius.  I hope he took the Mouse for every penny they were willing to spend.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 9:04 pm

And it makes "Saved by the Bell" look like a gritty drama...  ::) :P

Hey, wait a mimmit, Grease was a teen pop version of Grease. I mean, when the cinema-version of the musical "Grease" came out in 1978, that's what it was. And, uh, btw, kids in the '50s didn't look like that! When I read about this "High School Musical" TV show, I though, "Oh gawd, that sounds sooo inane." But...
it can't be much more inane than John Travolta and Olivia Newton John!
So, thanks for bringing up "Grease," it reminds me that I didn't know any better when I was nine years old!

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0002DSPS4.03.LZZZZZZZ
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 9:13 pm

Long as we're on that subject -- anyone here heard of Dev2.0?  Classic 80s Devo tracks, with the most relevant lyrics bowdlerized into harmlessness, and sung by kids.  And released under a Disney brand.

Every kid whose parents bought them this video is going to grow up and ask their parents why Mommy and Daddy keep talking about "real" lyrics.  Mark Mothersbaugh is a genius.  I hope he took the Mouse for every penny they were willing to spend.

I love Devo from 1977--1982. After that, they got kinda lame. I don't know if Mothersbaugh is a genius, but he is definitely a cynic. Just read the lyrics from the early albums.

Devo Nike tour, my azz!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vtffani.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/25/06 at 9:19 pm

Devo Nike tour, my azz!

He's siphoning money from Nike too?  PRABOB!

Written By: Cimon Sowell on 05/25/06 at 9:29 pm

Not forget a smilar movie Paula Abdul did as a teen  ::) :P

Paula Abdul could play Sharpay's mom on the sequel  :D

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 8:26 pm

Generation Z officially started in 1999, so most of the kids who are in Gen Z were too young to see High School Musical... but I noticed these kids about 8 years old are going ape sh** about the contemporary Disney channel so that is a start.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 8:27 pm

Hmm...it could be. I think Spongebob Squarepants, Shrek, and Finding Nemo are the first "Gen Z kids" things. It seems like it's either tail-end Y or one of the first "YZ" things. What made it so popular?

Spongebob is liked more by Y than Z.  Gen Y is Dexter's Laboaratory and Catdog.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 8:27 pm

I'd say 1992-2000 is the High School Musical age span.

No more like 1990-2000

Written By: Blackjack on 01/07/08 at 8:28 pm

Gen Z
since I doubt there's anybody over 15 that likes the movie or the soundtrack

C'mon, it's not even a real musical and Ashley Tisdale makes Tiffany sound like Brandy

I'm 17 and I love it.

Written By: tv on 01/08/08 at 4:55 pm

Yeah High School Musical is probably one of the first Gen Z things. I wouldn;t watch High School Musical but Vanessa Hudgens is cute! I saw her on Tyra Banks Show today. Vaneessa Hudgens didn't even go to High School in real life(she was home schooled) but she gets go to High School on a TV show!

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/08/08 at 5:05 pm

I love Devo from 1977--1982. After that, they got kinda lame. I don't know if Mothersbaugh is a genius, but he is definitely a cynic. Just read the lyrics from the early albums.

Devo Nike tour, my azz!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vtffani.gif

I've always liked them, but their high point was definitely in their first five albums.

Dev2.0 is a terrible idea. It's great kids get to hear DEVO, but really, what's the point if the social commentary is censored?

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/08/08 at 5:07 pm

I've always liked them, but their high point was definitely in their first five albums.

Dev2.0 is a terrible idea. It's great kids get to hear DEVO, but really, what's the point if the social commentary is censored?

XD I realize I've put my opinions on DEVO in at every chance I get, even when it's irrelevant.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/08/08 at 8:24 pm

I dunno, but without "High School Musical" I wouldn't have that picture of Vanessa Hudgens.  Thanks Gen Z!
;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/08/08 at 8:39 pm

I dunno, but without "High School Musical" I wouldn't have that picture of Vanessa Hudgens.  Thanks Gen Z!
;)

Is she really that attractive? I see her and think nothing.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/08/08 at 10:01 pm

Dev2.0 is a wonderful idea.  All those kids who would never have bothered listening to that weird music their parents listened to... will eventually discover the real lyrics on their own, and they'll realize that the only thing that's different is the "Disney" on the label.

Video: Beautiful World
On-screen karaoke lyrics: It's a beautiful world... for you... for you... "and me too."
Your kid sings: "IT'S NOT, FOR ME!"

He doesn't sing it the right way out of ignorance like we did -- "because those were the lyrics, dude".  He sings it the right way because he knows precisely what Disney changed.  He's had to wonder why Disney changed it.  He sings it the right way because he means it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Mothersbaugh, for he is wise and full of Slack.  Dev2.0 is lyrical jiu-jitsu; Mothersbaugh is letting Disney's strengths (blandness, poppiness, censorship) against itself. 

Written By: whistledog on 01/08/08 at 10:06 pm

Is she really that attractive? I see her and think nothing.

Not really, but a thin naked woman is still a thin naked woman, something one can not easily look away from

Written By: Dominic L. on 01/08/08 at 10:38 pm

Dev2.0 is a wonderful idea.  All those kids who would never have bothered listening to that weird music their parents listened to... will eventually discover the real lyrics on their own, and they'll realize that the only thing that's different is the "Disney" on the label.

Video: Beautiful World
On-screen karaoke lyrics: It's a beautiful world... for you... for you... "and me too."
Your kid sings: "IT'S NOT, FOR ME!"

He doesn't sing it the right way out of ignorance like we did -- "because those were the lyrics, dude".  He sings it the right way because he knows precisely what Disney changed.  He's had to wonder why Disney changed it.  He sings it the right way because he means it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Mothersbaugh, for he is wise and full of Slack.  Dev2.0 is lyrical jiu-jitsu; Mothersbaugh is letting Disney's strengths (blandness, poppiness, censorship) against itself. 

I hope you're right.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/09/08 at 9:02 pm

Not really, but a thin naked woman is still a thin naked woman, something one can not easily look away from

Never mind me, I'm just practicing for my future as a dirty old man!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil6.gif

Written By: KKay on 01/09/08 at 10:32 pm

I have heard of it, but i have never seen it.  but tell me if i'm right. i thought it was for really little kids...9-10 years old..

Written By: SpaceHog on 01/11/08 at 12:03 pm

Dev2.0 sucks balls. First off, the kids sound whiny when they sing. Plus, if they even found out the true meaning of Whip it's lyrics, even the most censored wouldn't be censored. Get what I'm saying. It's like Kidz Bop, which you do not want to get me started.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/08 at 10:49 pm

Dev2.0 sucks balls. First off, the kids sound whiny when they sing. Plus, if they even found out the true meaning of Whip it's lyrics, even the most censored wouldn't be censored. Get what I'm saying. It's like Kidz Bop, which you do not want to get me started.

OK, let's take every point you've made at face value.  Mothersbaugh still managed to extract dollars from Disney that he would not otherwise have extracted.  I'm still not seeing a downside :)

Written By: Davester on 01/16/08 at 11:30 pm

Gen Z..?

LOL..! :D

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/08 at 1:41 am

I dunno about High School Musical being the first Gen Z thing, but it certainly is the dumbest thing lol

Check for new replies or respond here...