inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First/Last Pop Cultural Things by Generation

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 2:50 pm

Baby Boomers:
First (Childhood): The Howdy Doody Show, the whole space/robot toy craze in the '50s and early '60s, an endless supply of toys (ever thought this supported boomer materialism)?, silly putty, Davey Crockett, Disney live action features, hula hoops, Barbie.
Last (Childhood): More Disney live action features, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Gumby, G.I. Joe.
First (Music): The British Invasion and Motown.
Last (Music): Disco.

Generation X:
First (Childhood): Sesame Street, The Electric Company, Hanna Barbera (inc. Scooby Doo, etc.), Josie and the Pussycats, The Brady Bunch.
Last (Childhood): Transformers, the Bart Simpson craze (XY), Cabbage Patch Dolls.
First (Music): '70s punk or '80s new wave.
Last: A tie between post-grunge, '90s indie rock and A/C and dance-pop, Lilith Fair stuff, and third-wave ska.

Generation Y:
First (Childhood): Full House, Old-School Nickelodeon and Disney Channel, 1989-1995ish Disney movies, Home Alone, the Bart Simpson craze.
Last (Childhood): The yo-yo, Pokemon, teenybopper pop, Magic cards, Harry Potter.
First (Music): Nu metal or teenybopper pop.
Last: ?

Subject: Re: First/Last Pop Cultural Things by Generation

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/25/06 at 4:06 pm

I'm not Generation X, but I used to watch Sesame Street and Transformers as a child.

And what the hell.... I'll admit I owned a cabbage patch doll. ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 6:33 pm

I'm not Generation X, but I used to watch Sesame Street and Transformers as a child.

And what the hell.... I'll admit I owned a cabbage patch doll. ;)

I never owned one. But I did watch Sesame Street and Transformers.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/25/06 at 11:40 pm

Emo is late Gen Y. Probably not quite last-wave though.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 3:56 am

I think the whole 80s revival thing is late Gen Y - Donnie Darko is a case in point!

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/26/06 at 8:57 am

Emo is late Gen Y. Probably not quite last-wave though.

Emo seems to be more 1988-1992. Like it's sort of "late peak Gen Y." I think the average person is born in 1989 or 1990, which is like the end of the peak. '80s revivalism seems to be a 1986-1990ish or 1992ish thing. '70s revivalism is definitely late Gen X.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 9:03 am

Emo seems to be more 1988-1992. Like it's sort of "late peak Gen Y." I think the average person is born in 1989 or 1990, which is like the end of the peak. '80s revivalism seems to be a 1986-1990ish or 1992ish thing. '70s revivalism is definitely late Gen X.

70s revivalism is also big among my age group, I much say. We grew up watching 'That 70s Show', Brady Bunch/Partridge Family/M*A*S*H re-runs, some of our favourite bands are Led Zep, Pink Floyd, the Eagles.etc, as well as punk groups like the Clash.etc (I'm surprised by how many people who think the Beatles are daggy listen to the Clash).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/26/06 at 9:06 am

70s revivalism is also big among my age group, I much say. We grew up watching 'That 70s Show', Brady Bunch/Partridge Family/M*A*S*H re-runs, some of our favourite bands are Led Zep, Pink Floyd, the Eagles.etc, as well as punk groups like the Clash.etc (I'm surprised by how many people who think the Beatles are daggy listen to the Clash).

Meh, in the U.S. I think that the whole '70s revivalism trend was sort of 1977-1985. 1986ers fall more into my general age group, at the older end of it...we also grew up watching alot of '70s sitcom reruns like The Odd Couple on Nick-at-Nite.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 9:18 am

Meh, in the U.S. I think that the whole '70s revivalism trend was sort of 1977-1985. 1986ers fall more into my general age group, at the older end of it...we also grew up watching alot of '70s sitcom reruns like The Odd Couple on Nick-at-Nite.

Yeah, in a way I guess that's true. But I do see alot of people my age wearing Dead Kennedy, Clash, Iggy Pop & The Stooges and New York Doll T-shirts.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/26/06 at 9:24 am

Yeah, in a way I guess that's true. But I do see alot of people my age wearing Dead Kennedy, Clash, Iggy Pop & The Stooges and New York Doll T-shirts.

My age too...I think it's one of the '70s things that's survived into being still sort of retro-cool, because the images of those bands are more '80s-like.

Written By: Satish on 05/26/06 at 2:12 pm

Generation Y:
Last (Childhood): The yo-yo

How are yo-yo's a Generation Y thing?  ??? They've been a part of pop culture in the United States since the first half of the twentieth century. The two biggest eras for the yo-yo were probably the 30s and the 60s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_yo

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/26/06 at 2:18 pm

How are yo-yo's a Generation Y thing?  ??? They've been a part of pop culture in the United States since the first half of the twentieth century. The two biggest eras for the yo-yo were probably the 30s and the 60s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_yo

There was a huge revival in the '90s, though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/26/06 at 2:34 pm

Even in 1999 they were still huge.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/26/06 at 2:37 pm

Yeah I remember everybody had them.

Written By: gmann on 05/26/06 at 11:40 pm

If I have to be categorized (*must*...*resist!*) , I'm borderline X/Y. BTW, where the hell is Mr. Rogers in this discussion? When I was a kid, I was more likely to watch that show than "Sesame Street".  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...