inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does All Music Sound the Same Today?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 2:53 pm

Most songs you hear on the radio have this overproduced, over backing-tracked, overly muted sound to them that doesn't sparkle or shine anymore. And, because of the duplicate-sounding vocals of teenybopper pop, all vocals sound redolent of that to attract Gen Yers.

And with indie rock...the other day, my English teacher was showing us a Death Cab for Cutie videodisc, and all their songs sound exactly the same and without any good musical song structure, honestly. And they are an emo, emo band. All their songs are about getting dumped, and one of the videos has a girl slitting her wrist. And there are kids dressed as office workers. Oh, how twee! How ironic! Gag me with a spoon.

Subject: Re: Does All Music Sound the Same Today?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/25/06 at 3:11 pm

Yeah, most of the mainstream stuff does sound the same.  Esp. rap.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/25/06 at 4:04 pm

Eh, songs sound about as similar to each other today as they did in previous decades.  Just look at all the hair bands in the 80's.  They sounded so similar, they even had a pattern for their single releases!  The first single was a hard rocking anthem and the second single was a power ballad.  What's funny is people apparently didn't care as it worked every time!  The amount of music that sounds alike today is about the same as the 80's and 90's.  Though I do think the 90's had more variety, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the boy bands and R&B groups of the day didn't all sound extremely similar.

Written By: Bobby on 05/25/06 at 4:59 pm

I find that the each genre of music has music that sounds the same (rock, indie, dance).

Most of the present day music bores me but I keep open-minded and I have been rewarded with the odd glimmer of hope here and there for my efforts.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 6:32 pm

There was definitely more variety in top 40 radio and songs that sounded different from like 1964-1998, though, even the fin de siecle. Also, I think alot of alternative rock now sounds the same-sort of sludge-y.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/25/06 at 8:51 pm

Listen to a rap station and you would thing they have the same song on repeat.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 8:55 pm

That's funny, I thought Death Cab For Cutie was one of the better pop bands out there these days.

Top 40 music is more generic than ever, but there's a lot of interesting music in other genres.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/25/06 at 10:29 pm

That's funny, I thought Death Cab For Cutie was one of the better pop bands out there these days.

Top 40 music is more generic than ever, but there's a lot of interesting music in other genres.

Death Cab are great. Very New Order influenced.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/06 at 11:31 pm

Death Cab are great. Very New Order influenced.

Yeah, I think that's why I like them--at least what I've heard. Thank God for something New Order influenced rather than Nirvana influened! There are actually a lot of "indie" bands out there whose members were barely even born when "Blue Monday" was released, who nonetheless see the greatness in great bands of the '80s. Bless their hearts!
8)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/25/06 at 11:32 pm

Yeah, I think that's why I like them--at least what I've heard. Thank God for something New Order influenced rather than Nirvana influened! There are actually a lot of "indie" bands out there whose members were barely even born when "Blue Monday" was released, who nonetheless see the greatness in great bands of the '80s. Bless their hearts!
8)

Do we have the '80s spirit?

www.soundclick.com/posseoftwo

:D

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/06 at 11:36 pm

All of today's music does sound the same.  Look at Coldplay.  I swear, every song they do is the exact same one, with different lyrics each time

With Alternative, it's nothing but loud guitars, and what sounds like people screaming into a microphone, while they bang their heads against toilets.  Heck, I can do that, and probably sell Platinum with my album ;D

With rap and r&b, it too sounds the same.  You hear one song, you've heard them all.  Give me 80's music anyday

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 3:55 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...