inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 5 TV Shows Defining the '00s Sensibility and Why

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/25/06 at 8:46 pm

1. The O.C.-Defines '00s teendom in every way: the melodrama, glitter, superficial polishedness, and soundtrack including Death Cab for Cutie and Bright Eyes.
2. American Idol-Glitz and corporate glamour, and stardom cult.
3. Desperate Housewives-Suburbia flawed, way over-the-top and overwrought.
4. The Surreal Life-Probably the most absolutely ridiculous reality TV show out there.
5. Joe Millionaire-Sleaze taken to the level of art: an exercise in early '00s culture.

Subject: Re: Top 5 TV Shows Defining the '00s Sensibility and Why

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 09/29/06 at 7:10 pm

Good thread...there should be more responses

I'd replace Joe Millionare (which is probably forgotten by most people) with CSI, a show that I consider the originator of all the drama-crime process shows you see today e.g. Monk, Without a Trace , House, Bones, Standoff, Cold Case, The Apprentice, Criminal Minds, Law and Order, CSI Miami, The Unit, etc

And Flava of Love is farrrrrrr more ridiculous and sleazy than Surreal Life....I've yet to see any thing that is as exploitive, excessive, or as sleazy as Flava Flav's antics are....even though there are worst reality shows out there (Celeberty Duets, Celebrity Fit Club, and Celeberty Dancing to name a few)

Subject: Re: Top 5 TV Shows Defining the '00s Sensibility and Why

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 09/29/06 at 7:16 pm

An overall perspective, here are the highest-rated shows on network television during the decade: 

* 1999-2000: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? (ABC)
    * 2000-2001: Survivor (CBS)
    * 2001-2002: Friends (NBC)
    * 2002-2003: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)
    * 2003-2004: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (CBS)
    * 2004-2005: American Idol (FOX)
    * 2005-2006: American Idol (FOX)

Check for new replies or respond here...