inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Emo and Glam Rap Past Peak?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 2:45 pm

I think glam rap and glam-rap influenced R&B are, they peaked in 04-05. Also, not many glam rap artists like 50 Cent are releasing records in 06-07, so it'll start to fall out of the limelight a little. Emo is either starting a decline or it's about to peak soon.

Subject: Re: Are Emo and Glam Rap Past Peak?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/28/06 at 3:15 pm

Glam rap peaked in 2004. Emo is peaking right now in 2006.

Written By: chaka on 05/28/06 at 3:40 pm

Glam rap is old (thank god),emo's still going strong but it hopefully wont be around for long.

Written By: Apricot on 05/28/06 at 9:15 pm

Glam Rap peaked a while back, Sex Rap is coming in.

EMO peaked a bit ago with The Postal Service, it's on it's way out. It's only popular in small sects, really.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/28/06 at 11:18 pm

Glam Rap is probably past it's peak and is in a slow decline, I'm hoping that late '05 was around the end of the glam rap peak, it seems to have waned a bit in popularity since the winter. "Laffy Taffy" may end up being the death blow to mid '00s glam rap. I do think that the charts are slowly beginning to evolve into what will be the late '00s. I expect a/c pop/soft rock, emo, and hop-hop ish pop to dominate the late '00s while glam rap will weaken. Late '05-early '06 was the worst period of music ever in the '00s, it hit rock bottom when Laffy Taffy topped the hot 100, since then it has slightly taken a turn and gotten better.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/28/06 at 11:22 pm

I hope so.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 11:25 pm

Glam Rap is probably past it's peak and is in a slow decline, I'm hoping that late '05 was around the end of the glam rap peak, it seems to have waned a bit in popularity since the winter. "Laffy Taffy" may end up being the death blow to mid '00s glam rap. I do think that the charts are slowly beginning to evolve into what will be the late '00s. I expect a/c pop/soft rock, emo, and hop-hop ish pop to dominate the late '00s while glam rap will weaken. Late '05-early '06 was the worst period of music ever in the '00s, it hit rock bottom when Laffy Taffy topped the hot 100, since then it has slightly taken a turn and gotten better.

Yeah, I think the late '00s will copy the late '80s in that hip-hop influenced R&B and pop and soft rock will dominate the charts, including more mainstream emo-style soft rock like Simple Plan. However, I think there will be some more underground alt rock stuff that's far removed from the emo and new wave/post-punk revivalism that's hot now and will be more late '80s influenced.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/28/06 at 11:26 pm

Emo is right now the most popular it's ever been on the pop charts, emo songs never were charting as high before as they are now. Fall Out Boy really boosted emo a lot when they came out and had 2 huge hits. The All American Rejects have also had 2 real big songs. Panic at the Disco is also moving up the charts. This may be around the peak or maybe next year, I'm not sure.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 11:49 pm

Emo is right now the most popular it's ever been on the pop charts, emo songs never were charting as high before as they are now. Fall Out Boy really boosted emo a lot when they came out and had 2 huge hits. The All American Rejects have also had 2 real big songs. Panic at the Disco is also moving up the charts. This may be around the peak or maybe next year, I'm not sure.

I actually think the mainstream success of emo might alienate the core audience of emo kids, the same thing that happened to new wave and alt rock, and be its death knell.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/28/06 at 11:50 pm

I actually think the mainstream success of emo might alienate the core audience of emo kids, the same thing that happened to new wave and alt rock, and be its death knell.

That's true, this huge mainstream success may end up killing emo soon.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/28/06 at 11:56 pm

That's true, this huge mainstream success may end up killing emo soon.

Yeah, bands like Panic at the Disco! and Simple Plan having immense success will soon lead a less core, "emo kid" audience onto Dashboard Confessional and their ilk, and then the emos will have to start getting away from emo, once the "preps" have found it. Also, I think it'll taint emo-associated indie like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Death Cab for Cutie, and Bright Eyes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/29/06 at 7:29 pm

Glam rap peaked in 2004. Emo is peaking right now in 2006.

Yeah. Glam rap peaked in Late '04-Early '05. Emo's peak started in Late '05 and is countinuing now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 10:09 pm

As for glam rap, exactly what is glam rap? Does that description include all of today's rap with maybe a couple exceptions? I'm not exactly sure.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/29/06 at 10:11 pm

As for glam rap, exactly what is glam rap? Does that description include all of today's rap with maybe a couple exceptions? I'm not exactly sure.

I consider glam rap to be most of today's well-known rap that would get played on say a top 40 type station, as well as, within the umbrella, R&B and dance-pop influenced by it like Ne-Yo, Rihanna, and Beyonce.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 10:16 pm

I consider glam rap to be most of today's well-known rap that would get played on say a top 40 type station, as well as, within the umbrella, R&B and dance-pop influenced by it like Ne-Yo, Rihanna, and Beyonce.

See I wouldn't include Ne-Yo and Rihanna because to me they have little to do with rap. Ne-Yo is one of the few real R&B artists out there I think, and Rihanna is too popish (the hip-hop stations don't really play her at all). Beyonce I would probably though, Chris Brown as well. Usher for the most part no, except for Yeah! which is a hip-hop R&B song. Ciara also really fits in to me. To me there's a divide between Ne-Yo, Frankie J, Alicia Keys compared to Ciara, Beyonce, and Chris Brown.

Check for new replies or respond here...