inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hips Don't Lie by Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 12:26 am

This is the most popular song in the world right now (no. 1 on the united world chart I believe it's called), it's topping the charts all over the place. Everywhere you go you hear about this song. iTunes is littered with tons of these iMix things begging for the song to be released digitally (which just recently it was). The digital song was just released on iTunes a few days ago, which will allow it to hit no. 1 on the actually hot 100 very soon since it is already ruling the airplay chart. Any opinions on the song? I think it's alright, not Shakira's best, but it's good to see a somewhat decent song get so much airplay all over the world.

Subject: Re: Hips Don't Lie by Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/29/06 at 12:27 am

I hate that song.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 12:28 am

I hate that song.

Well it's better than Laffy Taffy, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/29/06 at 12:35 am

Well it's better than Laffy Taffy, lol.

True. I hate Shakira's voice. She's talented, but I personally find her voice painful.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 12:37 am

True. I hate Shakira's voice. She's talented, but I personally find her voice painful.

Yeah I know her voice is kinda weird, but I did really like Whenever, Wherever a few years back. I guess we're just at a point now where I'd rather see a very average song like Hips Don't Lie top the chart instead of Run It, Laffy Taffy, or Grillz. I hope Chris Brown disappears and never comes back.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/29/06 at 1:01 am

I have all her Spanish-language albums.  Donde Estan Los Ladrones is the best of them all. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 1:04 am

I haven't heard it yet. But then again I don't listen to Top 40 much.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 1:06 am

I have all her Spanish-language albums.  Donde Estan Los Ladrones is the best of them all. 

Yeah the spanish language ones are the best. Though I've really only heard La Tortura but it's better than any of her english material.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/29/06 at 9:08 am

I just happen to dislike her voice, but otherwise I don't think she's that bad. And yes, it's much better than "Grillz." Her voice probably sounds better in Spanish-language releases, it's a voice more suited for that language.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/06 at 9:28 am

Though I've never been much into Shakira, I will admit it's a catchy song. 

I liked Shakira's first album 'Laundry Service', yet by the time I bought the Limited Edition 2-Disc Special Edition, I'd heard her songs so much, I never even listened to the CD.  I wouldn't even have opened it, 'cept the 2nd disc was a DVD

Written By: Apricot on 05/29/06 at 10:40 am

Aye, God, I hate the trumpet on that song. It's at least 14 octaves too high. And it's trumpet. Those are the problems.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/29/06 at 10:53 am

Aye, God, I hate the trumpet on that song. It's at least 14 octaves too high. And it's trumpet. Those are the problems.

Shakira plays the trumpet? ???

Written By: chaka on 05/29/06 at 11:50 am

Shakira plays the trumpet? ???

No!God I'm just imagining what that would look like.. ;D

Written By: nally on 05/29/06 at 5:21 pm

Yeah I know her voice is kinda weird, but I did really like Whenever, Wherever a few years back.

I really enjoyed that record when it was a big hit in late 2001/early 2002. As a result, I later purchased a copy of the Laundry Service album.

As for her newer stuff, I don't much care for it. :-\\

Written By: Ebontyne on 05/29/06 at 5:30 pm

I like her for having a unique, distinctive voice.

The song itself is pretty good; at least for once I can understand why it's a hit... The weird, wrapped-up leper guy in the video does creep me out a little though. ;)

Written By: nally on 05/29/06 at 5:37 pm

I like her for having a unique, distinctive voice.

I like to look at it that way too. :)

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 5:58 pm

I like to look at it that way too. :)

Yeah Shakira's cool and pretty hot too.  ;)

Written By: nally on 05/29/06 at 6:15 pm

Yeah Shakira's cool and pretty hot too.  ;)

I saw some recent pictures of her on AOL; she has a new look now. I'm still keeping the pic on my avatar 'cuz that's what most people (including me) are probably used to seeing when viewing my profile.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 6:17 pm

I saw some recent pictures of her on AOL; she has a new look now. I'm still keeping the pic on my avatar 'cuz that's what most people (including me) are probably used to seeing when viewing my profile.

Yeah I remember her back when she had the blonde hair, now she's got something closer to her natural color. She looks good no matter what hair color she has.

Written By: nally on 05/29/06 at 6:19 pm

Yeah I remember her back when she had the blonde hair, now she's got something closer to her natural color. She looks good no matter what hair color she has.

I think so too. 8) O0 I still like the stuff on her Laundry Service album.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/29/06 at 6:21 pm

I think so too. 8) O0 I still like the stuff on her Laundry Service album.

I did too I used to be obsessed with that album around 2002. I downloaded almost all the songs. I still listen to Whenever, Wherever a lot.

Written By: nally on 05/29/06 at 6:24 pm

I did too I used to be obsessed with that album around 2002. I downloaded almost all the songs. I still listen to Whenever, Wherever a lot.

I still remember the day I bought the CD at Best Buy. Before I did, however, I went to her website (shakira.com) and listened to 30-second snippets of each track from the album, and decided I should go out and get it. So on May 4, 2002, I happened to be in the Best Buy store closest to my home, so I purchased the CD. And when I got home, I listened to the album and enjoyed every single track. 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...