inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Omen (06/06/06)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 1:38 am

I am disappointed in learning that the new Omen film to be released next month turns out to be a remake of the original thirty years ago, and not a contribution to the story of The Omen.

Subject: Re: The Omen (06/06/06)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 2:28 am

I don't know what new contributions can be made.  Sequels are usually sh*ttier than the originals, and there have been quite a few sequels to The Omen over the years.  I think a remake is interesting, only because I'd like to see what modern special effects can do for the story.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 9:25 am

The Omen 666 is a remake of the original rather than a sequel. They made three sequels about "Damien," then they had to go and make a fourth sequel (1991)  in which the Damien spirit is reborn in a girl named Delia.
::)
The Omen V would be like the Freddy and Jason movies, a f**king joke. However, I wouldn't expect the remake to knock your socks off either. Mia Farrow's in it though!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 9:52 am

The Omen 666 is a remake of the original rather than a sequel. They made three sequels about "Damien," then they had to go and make a fourth sequel (1991)  in which the Damien spirit is reborn in a girl named Delia.
::)
The Omen V would be like the Freddy and Jason movies, a f**king joke. However, I wouldn't expect the remake to knock your socks off either. Mia Farrow's in it though!

I knew this movie was a remake.  Hence why I said "I think a remake is interesting........". 

Philip was talking about wishing the new film was a sequel or continuation, rather than a remake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 11:41 am

Philip was talking about wishing the new film was a sequel or continuation, rather than a remake.
Having seen the tralier over the last few weeks, I was building up my hopes for the continuation of the Damein story, but checking last night on imdb.com, I noticed it would be a remake and it shattered my hopes.

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:39 pm

I don't see a point in making this newer version.  Look what they did with The Amityville Horror?  It was good, but it didn't compare to the original

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 12:41 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:57 pm

Like several recent remakes, Psycho, Rear Window, Posedion Adventure, I refused to watch them.

The Psycho remake wasn't bad.  The director stayed true to the original.  The characters even exited out of the right sides of the cars ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 12:58 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:59 pm

But was it in black and white like the original?

No.  It should have been though

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 1:02 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 1:04 pm

But why should I bother to see the Psycho remake?

It's not the kind of movie you'd want to pay to see.  If it's ever pn the air, just watch it for free ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 5:04 pm

But why should I bother to see the Psycho remake?

Because sometimes remakes can do what the originals can't.  Better special effects, modern editing techniques......things that don't ruin the original plot or storyline.  I like watching remakes every now and again because I like to see how directors update things.  I thought the remake of The Manchurian Candidate was better than the original.  I just thought Liev Schreiber was phenomenal in that role. 

Written By: lycanthrope1218 on 05/30/06 at 9:09 pm

I'm just tired of seeing Hollywood crank out so many remakes and sequels. Can't they come up with anything original anymore....this Omen trailer is popping up everywhere now and they give away too much in the preview!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 9:26 pm

Because sometimes remakes can do what the originals can't.  Better special effects, modern editing techniques......things that don't ruin the original plot or storyline.  I like watching remakes every now and again because I like to see how directors update things.  I thought the remake of The Manchurian Candidate was better than the original.  I just thought Liev Schreiber was phenomenal in that role. 

It is not special effects and modern editing that make a good horror movie. I like Gus Van Sant, but I reeeeallly don't think he could top Hitchcock for any price.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/couto.gif

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 9:35 pm

December 12, 2012 is the real end of the world.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 10:28 pm

It is not special effects and modern editing that make a good horror movie. I like Gus Van Sant, but I reeeeallly don't think he could top Hitchcock for any price.

Actually, special effects and modern editing MAKE a great horror film.............if that's the kind of horror film you're make.  There's gory horror films and psychological horror films.  They are not the same. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 11:08 pm

Actually, special effects and modern editing MAKE a great horror film.............if that's the kind of horror film you're make.  There's gory horror films and psychological horror films.  They are not the same. 

Oh, I agree, but you can have horror without special effects, but not horror without psychology.  With just the gore, you've got what we call a "slasher flick," or a "splatter flick." Those are amusing, but they're not horror, at least if you're over the age of about fourteen. Hitchcock said an unseen monster was scarier. I wrote on another thread about one of my favorite horror movies, "Rosemary's Baby." What makes "Rosemary's Baby" so terrifying is not the supernatural themes. They are just the vehicle for the true horror theme, one of the most dreadful things we experience as humans: betrayal. Rosemary is betrayed by all, the husband she loves, the neighbors she befriends, the doctor she trusts, and she is even betrayed in the end by one who does not intend to betray her--the other OB/GYN, the one who isn't a witch! As the suspense builds, you find yourself caught and cornered with Rosemary as everybody betrays her for their own selfish reasons. Now that is a horror movie.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/evil7.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/30/06 at 11:23 pm

Gory horror films make me laugh.  I have never once been scared by one of them.  Psychological thrillers are a different stories.  Those will f*ck with your head.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/06 at 12:26 am

December 12, 2012 is the real end of the world.
So London has the Olympics, then a few months later the end of the world?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 12:27 am

So London has the Olympics, then a few months later the end of the world?

Yes. Damn you Brits  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/06 at 12:29 am

this Omen trailer is popping up everywhere now and they give away too much in the preview!

How much can they give away?  It's a remake.  That's like someone saying "Don't spoil Titanic.  I wanna see how it ends" ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/06 at 12:32 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...