inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Uninterrupted Chart Dominant Genre

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 12:10 pm

I've been thinking about what genre dominated the Billboard Charts for the longest, and the most totally. Disco was very, very dominant in the last half of 1978 and the first half of 1979, and then fell off the charts totally in fall 1979 with "My Sharona" and the disco backlash hitting. Glam rap and the associated R&B from about 2002 on might be it, though. Late 2002-Early 2006 was totally dominated, chart-wise, by this type of music. Dance-pop/smooth R&B and vocal A/C was also quite dominant between 1993 and 1997 or so, particularly around 1995. Teen pop, Motown, John Denver-type folkpop, and British Invasion were also huge, but were always tempered by other factors.

Subject: Re: Most Uninterrupted Chart Dominant Genre

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 12:36 pm

Most uninterrupted chart dominant genre? Crap!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:38 pm

Most uninterrupted chart dominant genre? Crap!
::)

Not all of it is crap.  Maybe 99%

There is atleast 1 good song out there.  I've yet to find it, but I know there has to be one ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 12:56 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 12:57 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:08 pm

From the days of Hit Parade to the days of The Source magazine, there has always been varying amounts of "crap." Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less, but it is always present!

There was definitely a disordinate amount of crap on the charts in the '70s (particularly the decade's middle), very early '80s, and for brief periods in the '80s and early '90s, other than our current crap spell. Most of the early-mid '90s were sort of neutral, but that period had a very gimmicky chart and a somewhat predictable chart (favoring A/C-styled R&B, dance-pop, and soft rock.) The mid-'00s are very predictable.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 2:50 pm

Drivel....

Rock music has never really been 'unpopular' - I think the dip or nadir of Rock and Roll (if any) was the late 70s, but Punk or even Disco are really forms of R'n'R.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:53 pm

Drivel....

Rock music has never really been 'unpopular' - I think the dip or nadir of Rock and Roll (if any) was the late 70s, but Punk or even Disco are really forms of R'n'R.

Yeah, since 1955 rock has really at least had some important fanbases. Even in the late '70s, prog/stadium rock was still pretty popular.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 2:55 pm

Yeah, since 1955 rock has really at least had some important fanbases. Even in the late '70s, prog/stadium rock was still pretty popular.

Rock will never go out of popularity. There's just something about the sound of the electric guitar which captures something of youth, rebellion, raw sexuality, primal energy which echoes beyond generations, decades.etc

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 3:23 pm

Rock and Roll.

Check for new replies or respond here...