inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Successful Artists-'70s-'00s (Chartwise Singles)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 12:23 pm

'70s: Tony Orlando and Dawn, The Osmonds, Three Dog Night, Cher, Bee Gees, Rod Stewart, Roberta Flack, Elton John, Helen Reddy, Jim Croce, John Denver, The Carpenters, Grand Funk Railroad, Barbra Streisand, America, Patti LaBelle, KC and the Sunshine Band, Barry Manilow, Paul McCartney/Wings, Stevie Wonder, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, Donna Summer, CHIC.
'80s: Hall and Oates, Michael Jackson, George Michael/Wham!, Madonna, Prince, Phil Collins, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Blondie, Lionel Richie, Olivia Newton-John, Chicago/Peter Cetera,
'90s: Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston, TLC, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Toni Braxton, Puff Daddy, Monica, R. Kelly, Santana, Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child.
'00s: OutKast, Usher, Jennifer Lopez, Nelly, Eminem, 50 Cent, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Sean Paul.

Based on number of #1 hits.

Subject: Re: Most Successful Artists-'70s-'00s (Chartwise Singles)

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:56 pm

I can do other chart systems (based on most hits in the charts) ...

The UK Charts ...

70's ... Cliff Richard / 10cc / Elton John / Abba
80's ... Cliff Richard / Shakin' Stevens / UB40 / Madonna / Elton John / Five Star / Big Country / Ultravox
90's ... UB40 / Manic Street Preachers / N-Trance / Take That / Boyzone
00's ... Steps / Westlife / Sugababes / Girls Aloud / Busted / Mariah Carey

Canadian Charts ...

70's ... Bachman-Turner Overdrive / April Wine / Bee Gees / Chilliwack / Ian Thomas / Abba
80's ... Loverboy / Bryan Adams / Madonna / Corey Hart / Tom Cochrane / Paul Janz
90's ... Mariah Carey / Madonna (In the 80's and 90's, she mad more #1 singles in Canada, then the US and the UK) / Bryan Adams / Paul Janz
00's ... Nelly Furtado / Nickelback / Eminem / Alanis Morissette / Mariah Carey

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 1:02 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 2:14 pm

Here's the Top 5 countries with the most #1 singles by Madonna ...

Japan - 21
Canada - 19
Europe - 16
America - 12
United Kingdom - 12

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:21 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 2:29 pm

Japan! Wow. I know they also still love Jody Watley there.

They do yes.  It seems like most artists have their biggest success in Japan.  Never understood why.  Singles must cost next to nothing there

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:34 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 2:52 pm

I forgot how sh*t the 90s charts could get - I mean, they don't always assume the rosy picture I paint. Especially the flooding of R'n'B/Vocal pop (which was still superior to today's stuff). Boys II Men and all that crap is pure drivel however.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:55 pm

I forgot how sh*t the 90s charts could get - I mean, they don't always assume the rosy picture I paint. Especially the flooding of R'n'B/Vocal pop (which was still superior to today's stuff). Boys II Men and all that crap is pure drivel however.

The '90s charts were pretty consistently dominated by r&b/vocal pop, dance-pop, and soft rock. They were also quite gimmicky, with songs like "I'm Too Sexy" and "Macarena" becoming huge. For brief periods, like around 1995 and 1996, gangsta rap was big, and there was a concentration of teen pop hits around 1999 and 2000. 

Check for new replies or respond here...