inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Wave/Post-Punk Revivalism

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:23 pm

From late 2004 to mid 2005, there was a New Wave revival, led by bands such as The Killers, The Strokes, and The Bravery.

Would anyone consider this a part of the emo movement? I think the popularity of these bands has to do:

1. With the rise of Indie Rock
2. With the wave of '80s nostalgia
3. With the popularity of emo

Subject: Re: New Wave/Post-Punk Revivalism

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:10 pm

I would have to include Interpol and a bunch of other groups in there too, along with the Postal Service, and say it started around 2000. I think it's sort of peripherally part of the emo movement. I think the popularity of these bands has to do with:

1. '80s nostalgia.
2. The rise of emo themes.
3. The obsessive futurism explored in New Wave that is popular right now.

Subject: Re: New Wave/Post-Punk Revivalism

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:11 pm

I would have to include Interpol and a bunch of other groups in there too, along with the Postal Service, and say it started around 2000. I think it's sort of peripherally part of the emo movement. I think the popularity of these bands has to do with:

1. '80s nostalgia.
2. The rise of emo themes.
3. The obsessive futurism explored in New Wave that is popular right now.

Even though the '80s and '00s were less technologically advancing than the '90s, they were more obsessed with technology and futurism.

Check for new replies or respond here...