inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The "Metroness" of Indie Rock

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 5:28 pm

Doesn't it seem like indie rockers are faster to put "fruity" sounds like keyboards, brass, pianos, etc. into their music, whereas more mainstream, Clear-Channel type rock insists upon having "manly" music of live drums, power chords, bass chugs, etc?

Subject: Re: The "Metroness" of Indie Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:08 pm

Doesn't it seem like indie rockers are faster to put "fruity" sounds like keyboards, brass, pianos, etc. into their music, whereas more mainstream, Clear-Channel type rock insists upon having "manly" music of live drums, power chords, bass chugs, etc?

Yes. In general, I think '00s indie rock is the soundtrack to the materialistic urban metrosexuality of the '00s. Stuff like Bright Eyes, Architecture in Helsinki, Iron and Wine, Arcade Fire, and the Strokes, and to a lesser extent Coldplay and their ilk. Like the music that hipster teenagers and twentysomething hipsters love who don't like the blatantly high school themes of emo.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:10 pm

Yes. In general, I think '00s indie rock is the soundtrack to the materialistic urban metrosexuality of the '00s. Stuff like Bright Eyes, Architecture in Helsinki, Iron and Wine, Arcade Fire, and the Strokes, and to a lesser extent Coldplay and their ilk. Like the music that hipster teenagers and twentysomething hipsters love who don't like the blatantly high school themes of emo.

Emo is basically describing the plot of a John Hughes movie over power chords  ;D

Written By: sonikuu on 05/30/06 at 6:21 pm

Emo is basically describing the plot of a John Hughes movie over power chords  ;D

Thus explaining Fall Out Boy's new song ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:22 pm

Thus explaining Fall Out Boy's new song ;D

"A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me  ;D"

Is that an a-ha and Molly Ringwald reference in one?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:25 pm

The videos are very John Hughes-y for most emo bands.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:33 pm

The videos are very John Hughes-y for most emo bands.

Very true.

Written By: Apricot on 05/30/06 at 8:56 pm

Yay, more blanketing!

EMO is for t3h homos.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:35 pm

It's like a whining 13-year old teenage girl wrote most of the lyrics for emo bands  ::)

I think 'Indie' rock with alot of 'strange' instrumentation is considered a bit 'arty', and 'art music', whereas plain hard rock is more just 'music'. People listen to music for different reasons...I tend to favour more arty, experimental stuff - while the drum, guitar, bass setup will be the basis of most future music, it's getting a bit boring and I'd like to see it shaken up a bit.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/30/06 at 11:36 pm

"A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me  ;D"

Is that an a-ha and Molly Ringwald reference in one?

That song is crap. I turn off the radio whenever it comes on.

Check for new replies or respond here...