inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nu Metal

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 12:41 am

I like/liked some bands that I guess are considered nu metal, stuff like Staind, Disturbed, Adema, Saliva, Trapt, Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Fuel. I'm not sure if all those are nu metal or not though. However I was never into Korn or Limp Bizkit that much.

Subject: Re: Nu Metal

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 1:06 am

Nu metal:

Good:

Linkin Park
System of a Down
Audioslave
Evanescence
Disturbed

Bad:

Nickelback
Creed
Puddle of Mudd

Cheesy:

Limp Bizkit
Trapt
Papa Roach

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 1:09 am

Nu metal:

Good:

Linkin Park
System of a Down
Audioslave
Evanescence
Disturbed

Bad:

Nickelback
Creed
Puddle of Mudd

Cheesy:

Limp Bizkit
Trapt
Papa Roach

Wow I didn't know Evanescence was nu metal. Yeah they're cool.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/31/06 at 1:30 am

Bad:

Nickelback
Creed
Puddle of Mudd

Eh, all of those bands are more Post-Grunge than anything.  I don't see really see a link between Creed/Nickelback and Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit.  Creed in particular smacks of Post-Grunge since Scott Stapp, their lead singer, has been accused by many of ripping off Eddie Vedder's singing style.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 1:30 am

Eh, all of those bands are more Post-Grunge than anything.  I don't see really see a link between Creed/Nickelback and Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit.  Creed in particular smacks of Post-Grunge since Scott Stapp, their lead singer, has been accused by many of ripping off Eddie Vedder's singing style.

I consider post-grunge a part of nu metal.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 1:31 am

Eh, all of those bands are more Post-Grunge than anything.  I don't see really see a link between Creed/Nickelback and Linkin Park/Limp Bizkit.  Creed in particular smacks of Post-Grunge since Scott Stapp, their lead singer, has been accused by many of ripping off Eddie Vedder's singing style.

Yeah Nickelback isn't Nu Metal, and Creed is just crap.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/31/06 at 1:40 am

The term Nu Metal is really kind of meaningless when you look at all.  I mean, look at all the bands that have been lumped into it.  Everything from Korn and Limp Bizkit to Staind and System of a Down.  When you look at all, there really is no unifying characteristic.  Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Korn all use hip-hop influences, thus making them Nu-Metal (which apparently stands for New Urban Metal).  However, Staind and System of a Down don't use hip-hop influences at all, yet are still considered Nu-Metal.  Now, I will still lump those bands into Nu-Metal myself simply for convenience, but there really is no unifying trend in Nu-Metal.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 1:41 am

The term Nu Metal is really kind of meaningless when you look at all.  I mean, look at all the bands that have been lumped into it.  Everything from Korn and Limp Bizkit to Staind and System of a Down.  When you look at all, there really is no unifying characteristic.  Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Korn all use hip-hop influences, thus making them Nu-Metal (which apparently stands for New Urban Metal).  However, Staind and System of a Down don't use hip-hop influences at all, yet are still considered Nu-Metal.  Now, I will still lump those bands into Nu-Metal myself simply for convenience, but there really is no unifying trend in Nu-Metal.

I think the unifying forces of nu metal are:

1. The band was popular circa 2000
2. The band is bass guitar oriented

Written By: sonikuu on 05/31/06 at 1:45 am

Kind of like how every early 90's Seattle band is considered Grunge, even though Kurt Cobain personally despised the term.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:09 am

I think nu metal is stuff that shares the same general topics/orientation of popularity as say Korn, thereby including SOAD, Disturbed, Linkin Park...Creed and Nickelback are part of post-grunge, which is related.

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 2:23 pm

Kind of like how every early 90's Seattle band is considered Grunge, even though Kurt Cobain personally despised the term.

yea,and he despised all the bands that sounded how "grunge was supposed to sound like", ie sellouts.
And to me,most post-grunge bands are sellouts.

Written By: Apricot on 05/31/06 at 3:23 pm

Yeah Nickelback isn't Nu Metal, and Creed is just crap.

Nickelback is.. uh.. I'm gonna say Pop Rock with a slight tinge of country.

Written By: Tia on 05/31/06 at 3:29 pm

Hmm, as someone who wasn't aware of nu-metal as a category until real recently, I'm now in a band that does saliva, creed, linkin park, puddle of mudd, korn, kimp lispkit, and -- does incubus count? Would greenday be a kind of early nu metal, transition from grunge into nu metal?

It's fun to play but to be honest I wouldn't seek most of it out to listen to. gimme van halen and HuG any day.

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 3:36 pm

Hmm, as someone who wasn't aware of nu-metal as a category until real recently, I'm now in a band that does saliva, creed, linkin park, puddle of mudd, korn, kimp lispkit, and -- does incubus count? Would greenday be a kind of early nu metal, transition from grunge into nu metal?

It's fun to play but to be honest I wouldn't seek most of it out to listen to. gimme van halen and HuG any day.

I wouldn't say that Incubus are nu metal.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 3:39 pm

I wouldn't say that Incubus are nu metal.

Incubus are very nu metal.

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 3:40 pm

Incubus are very nu metal.

ok...if you think so.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/06 at 5:33 pm

I like/liked some bands that I guess are considered nu metal, stuff like Staind, Disturbed, Adema, Saliva, Trapt, Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Linkin Park, System of a Down, Fuel. I'm not sure if all those are nu metal or not though. However I was never into Korn or Limp Bizkit that much.

Nu Metal is o.k. I like at least one song by all those bands but I wouln't consider myself a fan of any of them save Linkin Park and perhaps Disturbed.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 5:34 pm

Nu Metal is o.k. I like at least one song by all those bands but I wouln't consider myself a fan of any of them save Linkin Park and perhaps Disturbed.

System of a Down are the best  8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 5:52 pm

I think they're sort of "proto-emo", along with Linkin Park, in terms of themes. Like I know alot of people who were into Linkin Park and SOAD when they were 12-14 around 2002, and then became emo.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/31/06 at 5:56 pm

Yeah, I liked BYOB.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 5:59 pm

I think they're sort of "proto-emo", along with Linkin Park, in terms of themes. Like I know alot of people who were into Linkin Park and SOAD when they were 12-14 around 2002, and then became emo.

SOAD aren't emo at all. Linkin Park a little.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 9:03 pm

How is System of a Down emo, lol. They seem so totally different.

Check for new replies or respond here...