inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: You First Concert?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 7:19 am

What was the first concert you saw? I went to the local 'Rock It' Festival (which recently hosted Oasis) at the end of 2003, which was awesome, and later saw Sleepy Jackson (a local group) - the first 'over-age' gig I saw. I usually see perhaps one ticketed gig every month or so, but catch amatuer/house bands more often than that. Am going to see Wolfmother (an Aussie 'Classic rock' sort of group in June, and maybe the Arctic Monkeys in July).

Subject: Re: You First Concert?

Written By: Gis on 05/31/06 at 8:07 am

Tears for Fears in 1983

Written By: chaka on 05/31/06 at 8:21 am

Coldplay.It was great.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/31/06 at 9:11 am

umm....I think it was Bon Jovi.

Written By: KKay on 05/31/06 at 9:50 am

I think it was when my sister took me to see Kenny Loggins on my birthday at Radio City. 
If not that, then it was Air Supply-

Written By: jaytee on 05/31/06 at 10:17 am

Slade in 1974

Written By: karen on 05/31/06 at 10:25 am

Probably Showaddywaddy with my dad.  Or perhaps Duran Duran

Written By: Gis on 05/31/06 at 12:46 pm

Probably Showaddywaddy with my dad.  Or perhaps Duran Duran
That's one heck of a difference Karen !!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/06 at 1:00 pm

Not really a concert, but at a local Waterfront Festival back in 2002, I saw Snow (white rap artist) perform, as well as some all-girl Canadian group called Tuuli

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 2:00 pm

I've never been to a concert.

Written By: bbigd04 on 05/31/06 at 2:02 pm

I've never been to a concert.

Me either.

Written By: La Roche on 05/31/06 at 2:02 pm

Probably Showaddywaddy with my dad.

;D

Tell your Dad I'll say Hello to Trev for him.

First concert I ever went to was Deep Purple.
I was hooked after that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 9:27 pm

;D

Tell your Dad I'll say Hello to Trev for him.

First concert I ever went to was Deep Purple.
I was hooked after that.

You must've seen Led Zep, The Who, AC/DC, The Stones, The Eagles.etc Any favourites from among them?

Written By: La Roche on 05/31/06 at 10:19 pm

You must've seen Led Zep, The Who, AC/DC, The Stones, The Eagles.etc Any favourites from among them?

No... only The Stones.

They however, put on ONE HELL! of a live show.

Written By: Satish on 05/31/06 at 10:36 pm

Megadeth in 1999. The only concert I've ever been to, actually.

Some guy gave me a head butt in the mosh pit. I could feel it down to my teeth.  ;D

Written By: La Roche on 05/31/06 at 10:41 pm

Some guy gave me a head butt in the mosh pit. I could feel it down to my teeth.  ;D

The risk tour eh. That was a great show.

I saw them three times that year.
Once in Nottingham in the UK.
3 days later in Holland and then nearly a month later in London.

I've been to see Megadeth so many times I can't even keep track.

They'll be touring again come the end of the summer.

ROAD TRIP!

Written By: lorac61469 on 05/31/06 at 10:59 pm

Don't laugh...The Osmonds!  OK, you can laugh.  LOL!!

My second one wasn't much better Olivia Newton-John.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 12:05 am

Ah you gotta expect such things when going to a Megadeth (or any other Headbanger) concert, lol.

Written By: La Roche on 06/01/06 at 12:20 am

Ah you gotta expect such things when going to a Megadeth (or any other Headbanger) concert, lol.

Funnily enough.

Worst incident I was ever involved in at a show was at an Oasis gig.

Some fella was obviously wasted and was picking fights with people. He took a swing at me but then decided he didn't like the look of someone else.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/01/06 at 12:22 am

U2 on the ZooTV tour.

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 3:34 am

That's one heck of a difference Karen !!  ;D

I think I went to see Showaddywaddy a couple of times with my dad.  Then I went to see Duran Duran with a friend of mine.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 4:23 am

Funnily enough.

Worst incident I was ever involved in at a show was at an Oasis gig.

Some fella was obviously wasted and was picking fights with people. He took a swing at me but then decided he didn't like the look of someone else.  ;D

Those are the things that makes gigs memorable! I nearly got crushed to death by throngs of screaming teenage girls when Jack Johnson was playing at a Rock Festival, lol.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 4:25 am

Those are the things that makes gigs memorable! I nearly got crushed to death by throngs of screaming teenage girls when Jack Johnson was playing at a Rock Festival, lol.

Still up Mackey?  ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/06/06 at 7:05 pm

Linda Ronstadt at the Garden State Arts Center in 1976...I still remember the song she opened the show with, "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me"

First FREE concert I attended..the Beach Boys in Atlantic City, 1983....and that was the biggest concert CROWD I've ever seen..

Written By: loki 13 on 06/06/06 at 7:46 pm

Kiss with Judas Priest as the opening act...1978

Written By: Stompgal on 06/07/06 at 4:33 am

Spice Girls in 1998.

Written By: anotherrainyday on 06/07/06 at 7:48 pm

I am a very musical guy, I have been blessed with the oppurtunity to see tons of amazing shows. but my first....

Rage against the machine!

However the best concert I think I have ever seen was Radiohead.

somewhere between there I have seen
The Eagles
Chicago
Marilyn Manson
The Used
NIN
Lynard Skynard
Beck
The Cure
Jimmy Eat World
Greenday
Red Hot Chili Peppers

you name it!

Written By: KKay on 06/07/06 at 8:00 pm

I was totally wrong. It was Tony Orlando and Dawn.

I"m such a geek. I was 9, I think.  AND my sister was there too AND I THINK...(and this is 98% possible) Evel Knevil got us the tickets.

Written By: Ize_that_Devise on 06/08/06 at 3:19 am

When I was 10 I remember seeing Pearl Jam in LA...i think it was at the old Hollywood Bowl. But anyway, I remember it being absolutely amazing! I've always wanted to re-capture that experience ever since...

Written By: chaka on 06/08/06 at 1:50 pm

When I was 10 I remember seeing Pearl Jam in LA...i think it was at the old Hollywood Bowl. But anyway, I remember it being absolutely amazing! I've always wanted to re-capture that experience ever since...

O.my.god.
Do you know how f*cking jealous I am?
I've done all I can to get some tickets for their show in Antwerp this August but the bloody concert's sold out.
God,I'd do anything to see Vedder and co.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/08/06 at 1:55 pm

The Jacksons' victory tour

Written By: wndysbg on 06/08/06 at 4:36 pm

1985 - Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA tour - it was AWESOME.  I have been a concert junkie ever since.  I would go to more, but with the price of tickets now a days - I have to limit myself or dear hubby gets annoyed.  :)

I've seen Huey Lewis the most - I love him - hope to see him this year and I am planning on seeing Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in Aug.  Love that Tim!

Written By: Bobby on 06/08/06 at 4:38 pm

I"m such a geek. I was 9, I think.  AND my sister was there too AND I THINK...(and this is 98% possible) Evel Knevil got us the tickets.

Did you have to knock three times to get in?  ;D

Written By: lycanthrope1218 on 06/08/06 at 5:19 pm

Bon Jovi on the Slippery When Wet tour...It was awesome; Skid Row was the opening act!

Written By: gemini on 06/08/06 at 5:23 pm

1976 Aerosmith

Written By: wndysbg on 06/08/06 at 5:34 pm

Bon Jovi on the Slippery When Wet tour...It was awesome; Skid Row was the opening act!

How was the Bon Jovi concert?  I love that album.

Subject: Re: Your First Concert?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/08/06 at 10:37 pm

My first "concert" as, I infer this thread to mean, I remember very clearly.

http://eil.com/newGallery/Howard-Jones-Dream-Into-Action-231411.jpg

HOWARD JONES
Dream Into Action tour
Worcester Centrum
11/16/85
Opening act: Marshall Crenshaw

I kinda wish I could say "Talking Heads," "The Police," or "David Bowie," you know something that holds more cache today, but I can't deny I was very fond of Howie!

Written By: CeeKay on 06/08/06 at 10:45 pm

Yep.  I'll confirm this.  Although my first concert, I think, was the Oak Ridge Boys, with my mom.  Then Tony Orlando (see above and, yes, our dad likely got those tickets from Evel Knevil...a whole other story).  I remember Tony Orlando doing a tribute to Freddy Prinze who had just committed suicide ("I am, I said").  And I clearly remember T.O. and the three singers who made up "Dawn" singing "Tie a Yellow Ribbon."

My first concert on my own, without parental supervision, was Boston at the Garden....approx. 1979.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 1:34 am

My first "big" concert was the brother band Hanson in 1998 (yeah, like Lorac said about her first concert - "Go ahead and Laugh...")  ;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 1:37 am

I've only been to one.  When i was 9 or so we went to a music festival called Alleyfest, and Eric Burdon played there. :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 1:41 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 1:49 am

From the Animals? or wait, was he in the Zombies? I get those two confused

From the Animals.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/09/06 at 1:51 am

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 2:27 am

Mmhmm, I really enjoyed it. He did Spill The Wine and House of the Rising Sun, among others. 8)

Written By: CeeKay on 06/09/06 at 7:49 am

My first "concert" as, I infer this thread to mean, I remember very clearly.

HOWARD JONES
Dream Into Action tour
Worcester Centrum
11/16/85
Opening act: Marshall Crenshaw

I bet it was a good concert!  I liked Marshall Crenshaw too.

I kinda wish I could say "Talking Heads," "The Police," or "David Bowie," you know something that holds more cache today, but I can't deny I was very fond of Howie!

I love all of these, and have seen them all -- but they weren't nearly my first concerts.  I think I saw The Police with KKAY.

But back to your comment....the best concerts aren't necessarily the biggest names or at the largest venues.  If you're in a smaller place, and you and everyone else truly loves the music -- that's the best time you can have. :)

Written By: KKay on 06/09/06 at 8:01 am

I love all of these, and have seen them all -- but they weren't nearly my first concerts.  I think I saw The Police with KKAY.

But back to your comment....the best concerts aren't necessarily the biggest names or at the largest venues.  If you're in a smaller place, and you and everyone else truly loves the music -- that's the best time you can have. :)

I have seen all of them too, well i have seen David Byrne solo twice, not TH... Wish i'd seen Howard Jones.
Con- we saw The Police with Denise. 

Written By: SingBlueSilver on 06/09/06 at 10:17 am

My first concert was ZZ Top with the Black Crowes as opening act.  This was sometime around 1989-1990.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 10:47 am

Marshall Crenshaw was cool and he was a good match with HoJo for contrast--down-home style electric guitar pop and then into synth-pop with ethereal light show and a marionette act. Both Jones and Crenshaw had friendly personas. Critics razzed Howard Jones for his Zen optimism, but it turns out he was right...
In 1983, I was on the young side when then the MASSIVE Police tour came around for Synchronicity, opening acts A Flock of Seagulls and The Fixx, two of my favorite bands. A lot of 14-year-olds would have hassled their older sibs and friends for a ticket and a ride...I didn't, and I always regretted it. Ditto Talking Heads and David Bowie the same year.

Written By: Apricot on 06/09/06 at 2:12 pm

I was going to a basketball game with my family, and we stopped into a place to get something to eat before the game.. just my luck, there was a cover band of some of my favorite musicians... but that wasn't really a concert.

Unless some good musician comes very close (I doubt it'll happen), I'm waiting until I graduate, then me and a friend of mine are gonna take a crazy road trip and go to a bunch of concerts.

Written By: La Roche on 06/09/06 at 8:55 pm

That's so true!

Best live music experience for me (cus it wasn't a concert) Motorhead in Hamburg, because there were about 30 of us there, all of whom had been working setting up the stage and they made a special point to get us all beers and just play around taking requests.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/10/06 at 3:22 pm

I agree.  One of the best concerts I saw was a Huey Lewis concert on a college campus football field. (sponsered by a local radio station)  We were sitting about 50 feet from Huey, small intimate crowd, warm, California summer evening. . . .  It was AWESOME.  He did one of the best shows I have ever seen him do ( I try to see him every time he comes to town) and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been too.
;D

Written By: CeeKay on 06/10/06 at 3:28 pm

I agree.  One of the best concerts I saw was a Huey Lewis concert on a college campus football field. (sponsered by a local radio station)  We were sitting about 50 feet from Huey, small intimate crowd, warm, California summer evening. . . .  It was AWESOME.  He did one of the best shows I have ever seen him do ( I try to see him every time he comes to town) and it was one of the best concerts I have ever been too.
;D

I had a great time years ago at a Southside Johnny concert at some big park in New Jersey.  Or seeing Simon and Garfunkel at their free concert in Central Park.  I love outdoor shows!

Check for new replies or respond here...