inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most Influential '80s Artists on the '00s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 10:10 pm

Tears for Fears
The Talking Heads
The Cure
Joy Division
The Smiths
Duran Duran
Eurythmics
Prince (Crunk hip-hop and crunk-influenced dance-pop is absolutely indebted to Prince's backing tracks and song structures)

Subject: Re: Most Influential '80s Artists on the '00s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 10:12 pm

Franz Ferdinand sounds alot like Talking Heads (well, they're both Scottish)...

And of course you can't forget non Synth-pop groups like the Pixies and Sonic Youth.

XTC is also influential on the British revivalist scene, while R.E.M. has always been influential.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 10:14 pm

Franz Ferdinand sounds alot like Talking Heads (well, they're both Scottish)...

And of course you can't forget non Synth-pop groups like the Pixies and Sonic Youth.

XTC is also influential on the British revivalist scene, while R.E.M. has always been influential.

I think alot of the oughties has been forgetting Pixies, Sonic Youth, R.E.M etc. ever happened.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 10:18 pm

I think alot of the oughties has been forgetting Pixies, Sonic Youth, R.E.M etc. ever happened.

They may have comparatively few die-hard fans, but those fans ae much more loyal than most Nirvana fans.etc. In many ways I think Nirvana stole alot of the Pixies' credit for pioneering the grunge lifestyle/aesthetic. Cobain's admitted (maybe in not those words, lol) stealing from groups like the Pixies many times...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 10:19 pm

They may have comparatively few die-hard fans, but those fans ae much more loyal than most Nirvana fans.etc. In many ways I think Nirvana stole alot of the Pixies' credit for pioneering the grunge lifestyle/aesthetic. Cobain's admitted (maybe in not those words, lol) stealing from groups like the Pixies many times...

I don't think he quite intended to steal. It's not like he went out and said "Be Nirvana."

Written By: Satish on 05/31/06 at 10:31 pm

Hey, you forgot hip hop acts like Run DMC, Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys. Where would hip hop today be without them?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 1:57 am

Talking Heads.

Check for new replies or respond here...