inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is rap getting less popular?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 3:56 pm

I would say so. It's not quite 2004, but it's still extremely popular. A backlash is pretty close though.

Subject: Re: Is rap getting less popular?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/02/06 at 5:04 pm

It's probably getting a little less popular.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 06/02/06 at 5:29 pm

i think this year will see a not so noticeable decline but next year you will see a diffrence its just getting really old and terid theres a need for something new and fresh

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/06 at 5:34 pm

I think glam rap is losing it's poplularity, just like in the early 90's how M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice killed 80's old school rap. I think a new form of rap will come around similar to gangsta rap. It may or may not be as violent as gangsta rap, but I think it will express rage, maybe against the government and our society.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 5:48 pm

I think glam rap is losing it's poplularity, just like in the early 90's how M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice killed 80's old school rap. I think a new form of rap will come around similar to gangsta rap. It may or may not be as violent as gangsta rap, but I think it will express rage, maybe against the government and our society.

Would you consider MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice the last '80s rappers?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/02/06 at 7:04 pm

I think Vanilla Ice and M.C. Hammer were '90s things that were the last '80s rappers, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I think it's getting less popular. There are less casual listeners of stuff like 50 Cent than there were at the genre's peak in 2004, as people are gravitating more towards R&B/dance-pop like Rihanna, soft rock, white glam rap like Kanye West, and emo.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/02/06 at 8:46 pm

I think "rap" reached its total market saturation point and has nowhere to go but down. It may stay popular in one form or other for many years (perhaps decades?) to come. Rap was novelty in the '80s, craze in the '90s, and then rivaled only country music in sales.

I don't see a rap "backlash" in the offing the way there was a backlash against disco. As others have pointed out, disco did not die, it just evolved. You could here Disco influence in Madonna, Depeche Mode,  House, Techno, Trance,  and Hip-Hop. Who knows what rap's musical descendants will sound like in 2020?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 5:02 am

I think "rap" reached its total market saturation point and has nowhere to go but down. It may stay popular in one form or other for many years (perhaps decades?) to come. Rap was novelty in the '80s, craze in the '90s, and then rivaled only country music in sales.

I don't see a rap "backlash" in the offing the way there was a backlash against disco. As others have pointed out, disco did not die, it just evolved. You could here Disco influence in Madonna, Depeche Mode,  House, Techno, Trance,  and Hip-Hop. Who knows what rap's musical descendants will sound like in 2020?

I don't think there would be a general rap backlash, maybe just a backlash against the style of rap popular now. When disco was backlashed heavily in fall 1979, it had been around to the American public's eyes for like five years. At this point, rap has been fairly well-known in one form or another for over twenty years. However, while I don't think it will die, it might change heavily and decline in popularity.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 7:08 am

I would say so. It's not quite 2004, but it's still extremely popular. A backlash is pretty close though.

What would Rap Backlash music sound like? Melodic, soft, without those hard hitting bass lines?

Indeed, in the early 90s there was something of a 'backlash' to hard-core Gangsta rap with more 'peaceful' 'rap' like Cyprus Hill, and later on Roots Manuva, Dizzy Rascal.etc which expounded messages of harmony rather than antagonism. Maybe rap was a genre won't be replaced, but a real 'peace-nik'/anti-materialism socio-political outlook will replace the bling bling dominated rap of the early 00s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 7:21 am

What would Rap Backlash music sound like? Melodic, soft, without those hard hitting bass lines?

Indeed, in the early 90s there was something of a 'backlash' to hard-core Gangsta rap with more 'peaceful' 'rap' like Cyprus Hill, and later on Roots Manuva, Dizzy Rascal.etc which expounded messages of harmony rather than antagonism. Maybe rap was a genre won't be replaced, but a real 'peace-nik'/anti-materialism socio-political outlook will replace the bling bling dominated rap of the early 00s.

I think there will be an alternative rap, anti-materialistic/"peace-nik"/heavily gritty and social commentary form of rap that will come back in the late '00s and early '10s, and dominate the early '10s partially, along with some new form of alt-rock. Probably it would have less of that synth-y, hard hitting dance bass feel and be more conversational.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/03/06 at 7:32 am

Hopefully there will be less ignorant misogynistic crap and there will be a return to more political
wave.  I believe that the whole gangsta thing was pushed forward purposefully to keep music
focused on negatives instead of this

www.lyricsdir.com/public-enemy-son-of-a-bush-lyrics.html

Public Enemy

Son of a Bush

Oh no, struck by greased lightning
F'ed by the same last name, you know what?
China ain't never givin back that god damned plane
Must got this whole nation trained on some kennel ration
Refrain, the same train, full of cocaine, blows the brain
Have you forgotten? I've been through the first term of rotten
The father, the son and the holy Bush-sheesh we all in
Don't look at me, I ain't callin for no assasination
I'm just sayin, sayin
Who voted for that asshole of your nation?
Deja Bush, crushed by the headrush, when I wrote the bumrush
Saw you salute to the then Vice Pres
Who did what RayGun said
And then became prez himself, went for delf
Knee deep in his damned self
Stuck in a three headed bucket, a trilateral Bush-sheesh
Sorry ain't no better way of puttin it
No you cannot freestyle this
Cause you still ain't free
If I fight for y'all then they get me
How many o y'all is comin to get me?
None! Cause it's easier to forget me
Ain't that a Bush, son of a Bush is here all up in yo zone
You ain't never heard so much soul to the bone
I told y'all when the first Bush was tappin my telephone
Spy vs. Spy, can't truss em, as you salute to the illuminati
Y'know what? Take yo ass to your one millionth party!

the father, the son...
the father, the son...
(go on, better go on)
the father, the son, and the holy Bush-sheesh

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 9:15 am

I think there will be an alternative rap, anti-materialistic/"peace-nik"/heavily gritty and social commentary form of rap that will come back in the late '00s and early '10s, and dominate the early '10s partially, along with some new form of alt-rock. Probably it would have less of that synth-y, hard hitting dance bass feel and be more conversational.

Perhaps a return to more folkie, traditional instruments? I predict the increasing acknowledgement and use of ethnic instruments like tablas, sitars, bongos, lutes, various bells and horns in music. A highly-unconventional blend of styles - e.g. like folk electronica (which is already emerging with Bright Eyes, Bedroom Philosopher sort of music) featuring talking overdubs, much like the rap we known today.

Written By: Apricot on 06/03/06 at 9:22 am

"Glam" Rap is... whereas, the real dirty Sex-Driven Rap is gaining some ground.. damned Yin Yang Twins..

Check for new replies or respond here...