inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Could American Pie Have Been Made Today?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 12:09 am

To those who say 1999 is more 90s than 00s ( ;)), the 'look' of American Pie (the film, that is) is hardly different from today, and definitely very 'this-decade' with the webcam, the internet dating.etc. What do you think?

Subject: Re: Could American Pie Have Been Made Today?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 12:10 pm

To those who say 1999 is more 90s than 00s ( ;)), the 'look' of American Pie (the film, that is) is hardly different from today, and definitely very 'this-decade' with the webcam, the internet dating.etc. What do you think?

Oh, stop your winking!

I think it's an '00s thing in the very late '90s, actually, with its vulgarity and such. Though the way the people are dressed and "act" seem more late '90s than genuinely '00s in American Pie, and it sort of fit in with the wave of late '90s teen movies like She's All That, though it's much, much more '00s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 1:50 pm

I've never seen American Pie actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:54 pm

Oh, stop your winking!

I think it's an '00s thing in the very late '90s, actually, with its vulgarity and such. Though the way the people are dressed and "act" seem more late '90s than genuinely '00s in American Pie, and it sort of fit in with the wave of late '90s teen movies like She's All That, though it's much, much more '00s.

How does one 'Act' 90s, I'd be curious to know, James? They don't exactly describe it in the history textbooks in school.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/05/06 at 2:32 pm

I've never seen American Pie actually.

Neither have I, and I don't plan on seeing it.  Someone f*cking a pie doesn't interest me.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 2:43 pm

How does one 'Act' 90s, I'd be curious to know, James? They don't exactly describe it in the history textbooks in school.

Less about money, less primped-up, etc. More laid-back by far.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/05/06 at 2:45 pm

They did, a fourth one actually.  Don't plan on seeing it, since the first three where my favorites, and only three movies were needed.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:46 pm

Less about money, less primped-up, etc. More laid-back by far.

That's debatable...but yeah, it's a little too late to argue that point.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 2:47 pm

That's debatable...but yeah, it's a little too late to argue that point.

You do know what I mean, though. Back in the late '90s, for example, people weren't as worried and harried about grades and such in high school, and not everything was about being "preppie", per se.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:49 pm

You do know what I mean, though. Back in the late '90s, for example, people weren't as worried and harried about grades and such in high school, and not everything was about being "preppie", per se.

I always thought the Jock/Cheerleader stereotype was stronger in the 90s (but that's not necessarily the same as being a 'Preppie'). What exactly is a 'Preppie' in your definition anyway? You're right about the not being as harried about grades bit. They cared more about being a teenager back then.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 2:51 pm

I always thought the Jock/Cheerleader stereotype was stronger in the 90s (but that's not necessarily the same as being a 'Preppie'). What exactly is a 'Preppie' in your definition anyway? You're right about the not being as harried about grades bit. They cared more about being a teenager back then.

It's not necessarily being a jock or being a cheerleader. It's sort of people who either are rich or pretend to be rich by their way of dressing, which emulates shows like The O.C., combined with jockishness, shallowness, status-obsession, and exclusivism.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:56 pm

It's not necessarily being a jock or being a cheerleader. It's sort of people who either are rich or pretend to be rich by their way of dressing, which emulates shows like The O.C., combined with jockishness, shallowness, status-obsession, and exclusivism.

Ughh..I thought as much. Thankfully there are few of those types around here. But then again, Australia is a much more egalitarian society than America. There probably would have been more in the private schools in the wealthier suburbs around here. Our school was full of nerds, with a few 'bogan/yobbo' types, druggies/stoners.etc. Few Preppies though.

Check for new replies or respond here...