inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Very Little in Terms of Pop-Cultural Development has been Achieved this Decade

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 12:11 am

I mean, there have really been no new decent genres ('emo' is just a rip-off of pop-punk, and Nu-Metal was nothing but a short-lived fad), no innovative developments in film, television.etc (apart from reality TV). Overall, it seems like the noughties are stuck in their own time warp. Well, that's my assertion, anyway. Feel free to disagree/agree.

Subject: Re: Very Little in Terms of Pop-Cultural Development has been Achieved this Decade

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 12:08 pm

I think we're at the nadir of pop culture so far. It'll probably improve in the '10s, though.

Subject: Re: Very Little in Terms of Pop-Cultural Development has been Achieved this Decade

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 1:51 pm

I feel the '00s is sort of an endless 2002.

Subject: Re: Very Little in Terms of Pop-Cultural Development has been Achieved this Deca

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:55 pm

I think we're at the nadir of pop culture so far. It'll probably improve in the '10s, though.

Any particular reason you predict the Renaissance in the 10s rather than the 00s? In some ways I sort of agree with you, in that it takes time to get out of the mire that is the early 00s. Whatever happens will be quite interesting.

Subject: Re: Very Little in Terms of Pop-Cultural Development has been Achieved this Deca

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 2:42 pm

Any particular reason you predict the Renaissance in the 10s rather than the 00s? In some ways I sort of agree with you, in that it takes time to get out of the mire that is the early 00s. Whatever happens will be quite interesting.

I think Generation Y needs to be superseded by Generation Z.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:47 pm

I know, aren't we just such a dissapointing generation? With the false pretence of the Boomers AND the materialism of the Xers? Sigh

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 2:48 pm

I know, aren't we just such a dissapointing generation? With the false pretence of the Boomers AND the materialism of the Xers? Sigh

Boomers were actually more the yuppie, materialistic generation...they just never accepted that self-centeredness was at the root of both their progressivism and their anti-progressivism.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 2:57 pm

Boomers were actually more the yuppie, materialistic generation...they just never accepted that self-centeredness was at the root of both their progressivism and their anti-progressivism.

Yeah, I guess so. Very few Boomers stayed true to their 'dis-mantling of society' ideals of the progressive late 60s/early 70s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 2:59 pm

I think Z will be a legendary generation. Full of odd names  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 3:03 pm

I think Z will be a legendary generation. Full of odd names  ;D

Imagine having a president called Zyborg Calrethian!  ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 3:04 pm

Imagine having a president called Zyborg Calrethian!  ;D

;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/05/06 at 3:24 pm

I mean, there have really been no new decent genres ('emo' is just a rip-off of pop-punk, and Nu-Metal was nothing but a short-lived fad), no innovative developments in film, television.etc (apart from reality TV). Overall, it seems like the noughties are stuck in their own time warp. Well, that's my assertion, anyway. Feel free to disagree/agree.

I agree. Most of the pop culture in this decade is borrowed(riped off) from that of another.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 3:26 pm

I agree. Most of the pop culture in this decade is borrowed(riped off) from that of another.

Mach!ne is back!  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/05/06 at 3:31 pm

Mach!ne is back!  :)

Now order and peace can be restored to the message boards at last ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 3:32 pm

Now order and peace can be restored to the message boards at last ;)

:D
;)

Written By: sonikuu on 06/05/06 at 5:49 pm

I guess that's why you believe a renaissance will occur in the 2010s.  However, keep in mind that Generation Y will still play a big part in the 2010's.  The majority of musicans and entertainers, particularly during the first half of the 2010s, will be Generation Y.  I do think it's possible that Generation Y could undergo a transformation in the 2010s and become a completely different generation then it is now.  Kind of like how Generation X is stereotyped as a slacker, "alternative" generation of the early 90's even though millions of Gen Xers spent their teen years in the 80s, when that stereotype wasn't even thought of.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 8:47 pm

I guess that's why you believe a renaissance will occur in the 2010s.  However, keep in mind that Generation Y will still play a big part in the 2010's.  The majority of musicans and entertainers, particularly during the first half of the 2010s, will be Generation Y.  I do think it's possible that Generation Y could undergo a transformation in the 2010s and become a completely different generation then it is now.  Kind of like how Generation X is stereotyped as a slacker, "alternative" generation of the early 90's even though millions of Gen Xers spent their teen years in the 80s, when that stereotype wasn't even thought of.

Yeah, and the boomers got a different stereotype in the '80s than in the '60s and '70s, as yuppies as opposed to sort of free-loving party people and idealists. However, even back in the '60s they were the "me generation." I think that there's something to saying the alienation of Gen Xers as '80s teens made them become an "alternative" generation in the '90s. I think we'll transform somewhat, but the transformation will be led by people like myself who are sort of "anti-Y."

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 10:20 pm

How many of you agree that artists, poets, writers.etc are probably having less of an impact on society, or have a lessened ability to incite social/political/cultural change in society? If the 50s were ruled by Beat-writers, and the 60s by progressive rock musicians, what artistic force will drive the 00s? An interesting question, I think.

Check for new replies or respond here...