inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dream-casting for the X-Men

Written By: Satish on 06/05/06 at 6:39 pm

Ten years ago in the mid-1990s, I was a big fan of the X-Men cartoon series on TV, so when I heard at the time that they were going to make a live action X-Men movie, I tried to imagine exactly who the ideal actor or actress would be for each role.

When the first X-Men movie was eventually released in 2000, it didn't have any of my selections playing the various roles, as might have been expected, but I still think it's fun to imagine what the movies might have been like if they had been made using my "dream" cast.

Here's what my choices were for some of the various parts:

Wolverine: Clint Eastwood
Professor X: Anthony Hopkins(with a completely shaved head)
Colossus: Arnold Schwarzenegger
Cyclops: Tom Cruise
Jean Grey: Nicole Kidman
Rogue: Geena Davis
Gambit: Jean-Claude Van Damme
Jubilee: Winona Ryder
Storm: Angela Bassett
Archangel: Ralph Fiennes

I was just wondering what everyone thinks of my picks, and if anyone else had their own preferences for the parts.

I've gotta say, of the actors they eventually went with, by far the most inspired choice was having Patrick Stewart as Professor X. He's even got the ideal look for the part, with his completely bald, round head! He might even be better for the part than my choice of Anthony Hopkins.

And since Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman were married in real life at the time, I thought they might add some extra chemistry to the parts of Cyclops and Jean Grey!

Subject: Re: Dream-casting for the X-Men

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/06/06 at 12:51 am

Heck no

Gambit.....Harry Connick Jr.

Written By: Satish on 06/06/06 at 3:05 pm

Gambit.....Harry Connick Jr.

You know, I think you're right, Harry Connick Jr. would be much better as Gambit.

I picked Jean-Claude Van Damme for the role partly because of his accent, since Gambit's supposed to be a Cajun. But Harry Connick Jr. is from New Orleans, so he's definitely got Louisiana roots. And on top of that, Connick probably has more of Gambit's wit and southern charm, and he'd be better able to convey Gambit's playful side.

One thing I'm not too sure about is whether Harry's image is macho and threatening enough to play the role, since Gambit's a character who should be able to intimidate people whenever the need arises. But I think if Harry worked out in the gym a bit, he'd be able to pull it off.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/06/06 at 6:35 pm

You know, I think you're right, Harry Connick Jr. would be much better as Gambit.

I picked Jean-Claude Van Damme for the role partly because of his accent, since Gambit's supposed to be a Cajun. But Harry Connick Jr. is from New Orleans, so he's definitely got Louisiana roots. And on top of that, Connick probably has more of Gambit's wit and southern charm, and he'd be better able to convey Gambit's playful side.

One thing I'm not too sure about is whether Harry's image is macho and threatening enough to play the role, since Gambit's a character who should be able to intimidate people whenever the need arises. But I think if Harry worked out in the gym a bit, he'd be able to pull it off.

Jean-Claude's accent is not even close to a Cajun accent. Harry actually has the voice. Also Gambit isn't overly macho. He's masculine, but not macho.

Written By: Satish on 06/06/06 at 6:53 pm

Jean-Claude's accent is not even close to a Cajun accent.

You think so? Cause Jean-Claude Van Damme has actually played Cajun characters in some of his movies, like Hard Target from 1993. I guess that's the only way they could explain his being from the United States and still having that accent!  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/07/06 at 12:52 am

You think so? Cause Jean-Claude Van Damme has actually played Cajun characters in some of his movies, like Hard Target from 1993. I guess that's the only way they could explain his being from the United States and still having that accent!  ;D

My family is from LA and I've seen the Hard Target movie. Nope, nada it wasn't great.

Written By: Satish on 06/09/06 at 5:13 pm

It was between 1994 and 1995 when I came up with that list up there, so it occurs to me that some of the actors I chose are too old for their parts, now. Like Geena Davis; she's 50 now, which is way too old to play Rogue. And Winona Ryder's 34 now, so she's probably too old to play Jubilee also, considering the character's supposed to be a teenager. You should picture Geena Davis from 1991 when she did THELMA AND LOUISE and Winona Ryder from 1989 when she did HEATHERS for the parts!

And Arnold Schwarzenegger's 59, so he was probably too old even when I made up this list to play Collosus! You have to go back to the 80s to see when Arnold was young enough to play the part!

Written By: Satish on 06/09/06 at 5:18 pm

I originally picked Geena Davis as Rogue when I made up this list, but do you know who I just realized might be even better for the role? Ashley Judd! She'd be perfect as Rogue, wouldn't she?

Written By: Tam on 06/09/06 at 8:26 pm

Jessica Alba would make a good Rogue too

I think Hugh Jackman as Wolverine was perfect!

Natalie Portman as Jubilee

Just my thoughts

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/10/06 at 12:55 am

Jessica Alba would make a good Rogue too

I think Hugh Jackman as Wolverine was perfect!

Natalie Portman as Jubilee

Just my thoughts

Jubilee is Asian/Chinese-American. Zi Zhang would be nice (dang, did I spell her name right? probably not)

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 7:53 am

I liked Halle Berry as Storm, Jackman as Wolverine...

To be honest I don't have a problem with any of the actors cast in the movies.  Alot of people don't care for Anna Paquin as Rogue but even she does not bother me... plus... ya know... shes cute. ;D

Written By: HurrYu on 06/10/06 at 10:19 am

Jubilee is Asian/Chinese-American. Zi Zhang would be nice (dang, did I spell her name right? probably not)

Natalie Portman was the first choice to play "Jubilee" according to Bryan Singer and Stan Lee, but she turned it down to finish her Senior year of College

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/10/06 at 12:46 pm

Natalie Portman was the first choice to play "Jubilee" according to Bryan Singer and Stan Lee, but she turned it down to finish her Senior year of College

I'm glad she did. It would've been bad casting. Just like Anna Paquin. Hello, where was her southern accent?

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 12:50 pm

I'm glad she did. It would've been bad casting. Just like Anna Paquin. Hello, where was her southern accent?

She uses a Southern accent in the movie. ???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/10/06 at 1:22 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 5:27 pm

It's quite bare. My ear didn't pick it up. Rogue's from Mississippi. It should be quite distinct.

Hmm, it sounded distinct to me.. I dunno.  I mean not everyone in the South has a heavy accent.  Some people's accents ARE more subtle, yes even in the deep south.  Myself, I barely have an accent at all.  Sometimes I'll say a certain word or phrase and it will have a little accent to it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 5:47 pm

I think if they ever decided to put Gambit in the X-Men movies, I honestly think Matt Damon would be a great choice

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/10/06 at 5:48 pm

I think if they ever decided to put Gambit in the X-Men movies, I honestly think Matt Damon would be a great choice

Actually, I could totally see him playing Gambit.  Thats if he can do a Cajun accent of course. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...