inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ARE THE STROKES OVERRATED?

Written By: Ize_that_Devise on 06/08/06 at 3:27 am

Everyone makes such a big hype over them, but I think they're so OVER-rated...most of their songs sound the same, their singer is obsessed with himself ( ;)), even though I dream about him often...ohh, Julian! lol. Their first one was not bad, but their subsequent releaes were so-so. Good, but 'saviours of rock'n'roll?' I digress.

Subject: Re: ARE THE STROKES OVERRATED?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/08/06 at 3:29 am

Don't know much about them post-"Is This It", and. quite frankly don't really care enough to even get their albums to listen. They're alright I guess, but nothing special.

Written By: Ize_that_Devise on 06/08/06 at 3:31 am

Don't know much about them post-"Is This It", and. quite frankly don't really care enough to even get their albums to listen. They're alright I guess, but nothing special.

Yes, I am glad someone agrees with me.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/08/06 at 12:16 pm

I think it's unremarkable, derivative rock that's all about style with next to no substance. Much like the '00s.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/08/06 at 12:30 pm

I don't hear anything about them. I only have their debut, but I love it.

Written By: nathan on 11/25/10 at 10:13 pm

Personally, I freaking love The Strokes, because its something about their sound, the emotion that their music gives me, and the AMAZING... cooperation between all the instruments and the vocals just gets me so engaged. I feel that no other band affects my emotions as much as The Strokes. And all their songs are certainly not the same, they have similar themes and emotions tied to them but they have different musical ideas.

When I first heard the Strokes i was like...... whats so special about this? After listening to 'Last Nite' about five or six times i just started to understand their music and i went from "wow this sucks" to "OH MY GOD THESE GUYS ARE AMAZING"

I listen to bands such as Sublime, Passafire, Rebelution, The Arctic Monkeys, Gogol Bordello, Tool, System of a Down, Pantera, Primus, and I think Kid Cudi is very talented. I hate classical rock and I think it deserves to die already. (just so you have an idea of my musical background).

Try listening to The Strokes again and try to understand their "theme" or "element." It was hard for me to grasp at first but once i got it, i was lovinggg it

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 11/25/10 at 10:32 pm

Is This It came out when I was in 4th grade, and for a 4th grader I'd say that I was relatively aware of the music world, at least in terms of pop music. Honestly, I have absolutely no memory of them becoming bit with "Last Night", and it wasn't until years later that I'd heard of them. And ever since I've actively been involved with the modern music scene, I've heard pretty much nothing from them as a band. They seem to be one of the biggest fizzle-outs of the past decade.

Can someone who has a clear memory tell me just how big The Strokes were in 2001-2002 or so? I know that the press loved them and that they were big in the UK, but just how popular were they (at least in the US) anyway? Like, bigger than MGMT or Vampire Weekend? Or is it just nostalgia? Someone help me!

BTW, it is my opinion that The White Stripes have greatly eclipsed them in terms of popularity, success, and quality. I think that back in those days the two were compared quite often (with Interpol, The Hives, etc), and now it looks like it is clear who won.

Written By: whistledog on 11/25/10 at 10:47 pm

Todd Bridges and Conrad Bain are still alive :D

Written By: Howard on 11/26/10 at 6:38 am

Todd Bridges and Conrad Bain are still alive :D

And that's a good thing.

Written By: whistledog on 11/26/10 at 9:00 am

And that's a good thing.

Also quite shocking.  Canada's own Conraid Bain is almost as old as Canada itself :D

Written By: Howard on 11/26/10 at 1:41 pm

Also quite shocking.  Canada's own Conraid Bain is almost as old as Canada itself :D

He's 85.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/26/10 at 10:08 pm

YES.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/10 at 5:03 am

Well,It was a big show in the 1970's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/10 at 9:51 pm

Billy Squier didn't think so!
;)

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/10 at 10:03 pm

;)

Stroke! Stroke!

Written By: Howard on 11/30/10 at 6:34 am

;)

That's "The Stroke" not Strokes.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/10/10 at 8:23 pm

The Strokes are decent if you like pop-punk, but there's plenty of better bands.

Check for new replies or respond here...