inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playstation 3- A Disaster in the making?

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/09/06 at 12:02 am

Okay, i don't know if any of you have been following the development of the PS3, but its not looking very good.

First of all, the BIGGEST mistake, is that Sony will be charging $599 for it!  :o :o

Supposedly the extra $300 is due to Sony adding Blu-Ray support rather than just DVD.

Which is REALLY dumb because its obvious that HD-DVD is going to be the superior format.  Its the equivalent of adding on a Betamax to the system and charging double because of it. :D

Also in the future certain games are going to require you to buy upgrades, just like on a PC. 

Most of the same games will be available on the X-Box 360 with better graphics, and I think the 360 is either 1 or 2 hundred dollars less.

Recently a Sony exec was asked about the sky-high price and he said he thinks Sony has a loyal fanbase of people who would work overtime to get the hardware, and that they want it to be a valued item. 

How arrogant can you get?  This is going to blow up in their face just like what happened to Sega in the 90s.  ::)

Subject: Re: Playstation 3- A Disaster in the making?

Written By: sonikuu on 06/09/06 at 3:26 am

The PS3 is really just a gigantic rip off, really.  The only game for it that I'm interested in is Metal Gear Solid 4 and I'm not paying $600 to play it.  The controller is also extremely disappointing.  Did they really have to take out rumble so they could rip off Nintendo?  The PS3 is so disappointing, especially in the face of the Xbox 360 (a cheaper alternative to PS3) and the Nintendo Wii (the controller is enough to get me interested).  PS2 was my favorite console this generation, but Sony's lost me with the PS3.

Unfortunately, all this won't matter.  Sony is a master at marketing and if they can pull off the marketing, they may win again.  Just look at the PS2 launch.  Compared to the Dreamcast, the PS2 was an expensive console ($100 more!) with a abysmal launch lineup, yet it still sold millions and killed the Dreamcast.  While I hope this scenario won't happen, something tells me that Sony could very well win again, albeit by a smaller margin, while Nintendo's innovative console gets the shaft.

Written By: Apricot on 06/09/06 at 9:45 am

I heard the only reason it's gonna be so much is because it's on Blu-Ray... basically a fancy DVD type that holds about 3 times more. Only one or two types of Blu-Ray Players exist, for about 1000 bucks currently.. once they start producing more Blu-Ray Discs (as will be necessary with the PS3 Games), the price will go down to 300-400, similar to the rest of the next-Gen consoles (Wii and X-Box3 60).

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/06 at 12:58 am

They are making video game systems way to fast these days.  Just as you get enough money saved up to buy a PS2, the PS3 is out.  I wish they'd just make 1 system, and stick with it.  Technology is moving so fast these days, I can't keep up with all these new systems.  I'll take classic 2-D video gaming any day

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/16/06 at 11:03 pm

I smell a diasaster!!!!!!  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...