inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SUBWAY SANDWICHES is a RIP-OFF!!!

Written By: GUEST on 06/09/06 at 3:59 pm

As a single bachelor, I buy my own food from the market from fresh deli meats and steaks etc.

The deli isn't bad gettting $4.99 a POUND for the ham, beef or turkey.

I saw a sign, while on the road, that the SUBWAY-fast food sub shop- has 6''subs for $3 anything you want from the sub menu hot or cold...

I ordered a simple roast beef sub and not extras(i.e.: lettuce,onions,peppers)..

I get it back and IT HAS ONLY 3 SLICES OF SHAVED ROAST BEEF ON IT!!! For $3 I could get nearly a pound at the grocery store next to it!!!

I was appalled and contacted the store rep. and they told me how they are 'instructed' to use 3 slices only for 6'' sandwiches and 5 for 12''

I remember when you went to a sandwich store that just loaded the bread until the owner/clerk wanted to stop!

What a rip MEASURING food now!

:( :( :( NEVER GOING THERE AGAIN..AND YOU CAN  TAKE THAT TO THE BANK JARED!!!

Subject: Re: SUBWAY SANDWICHES is a RIP-OFF!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 5:08 pm

Well, with convenience foods--such as fastfood--you pay for the convenience of having it pre-prepared. One has to figure in the cost of Subway running the shop and paying the employees. The reason I don't buy subs at Subway is they suuuuck! If I'm going to buy a submarine sandwich, I'll buy it at a mom 'n' pop joint where they actually care if you come back!
Fastfood is not cheap. McDonald's is not cheap, not for the amount and quality of comestibles you get! No sir. Fastfood happens to be cheaper than dining at more upscale restaurants, but if you look at it purely as what you get for your dollar, it's always cheaper (and healthier) to buy the ingredients at the market and prepare them at home. Ahhh, but as we fastfood frequenters will tell you, it's nowhere near as quick and convenient!
I'm a "bachelor" myself. If I had kids, I wouldn't subject them to that cr*p, at least not on a regular basis!

http://www.rodsavely.com/Images/fastfood.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/06 at 6:36 pm

As a single bachelor, I buy my own food from the market from fresh deli meats and steaks etc.

I saw a sign, while on the road, that the SUBWAY-fast food sub shop- has 6''subs for $3 anything you want from the sub menu hot or cold...

I ordered a simple roast beef sub and not extras(i.e.: lettuce,onions,peppers)..

I get it back and IT HAS ONLY 3 SLICES OF SHAVED ROAST BEEF ON IT!!! For $3 I could get nearly a pound at the grocery store next to it!!!

I was appalled and contacted the store rep. and they told me how they are 'instructed' to use 3 slices only for 6'' sandwiches and 5 for 12''

I remember when you went to a sandwich store that just loaded the bread until the owner/clerk wanted to stop!

:( :( :( NEVER GOING THERE AGAIN..AND YOU CAN   TAKE THAT TO THE BANK JARED!!!

Guest,

I myself do not like Subway but in my case it is simply because I do not like the taste.

However...  Where in heck did you get the idea that they should sell sandwiches at cost????  Mr. Subway is running the place to make money.  That means he sells things for more money than it cost to make them.

Jared did not lose all that weight by pigging out.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 7:04 pm

Guest,

I myself do not like Subway but in my case it is simply because I do not like the taste.

However...  Where in heck did you get the idea that they should sell sandwiches at cost????  Mr. Subway is running the place to make money.  That means he sells things for more money than it cost to make them.

Jared did not lose all that weight by pigging out.   ;)

That's what I was saying, every Subway shop has to make that thin profit margin, or it goes under. It's cheaper to run a Subway than a McDonald's or an Applebee's (yes, Applebee's is still fastfood even though they have waiters in Bermuda shorts serving you Frozen Mudslides), but once all the costs are covered, there's not much left over.

Who says there even was a "Jared"? Since when should I believe corporate propaganda campaigns?

Written By: Tia on 06/09/06 at 7:24 pm

SUBWAY!

slowly i turned... step by step... inch by inch...

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/06 at 7:28 pm

That's what I was saying, every Subway shop has to make that thin profit margin, or it goes under. It's cheaper to run a Subway than a McDonald's or an Applebee's (yes, Applebee's is still fastfood even though they have waiters in Bermuda shorts serving you Frozen Mudslides), but once all the costs are covered, there's not much left over.

Who says there even was a "Jared"? Since when should I believe corporate propaganda campaigns?

Jared lives.  Otherwise, corporate media types would have picked a less homely looking guy.

Written By: whistledog on 06/09/06 at 7:30 pm

Come to Canada, and have Mr. Sub.  It's a million times better than Subway will ever be

http://halton.701.com/sites/701/IMAGEDIR/page_35998.gif

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/09/06 at 8:42 pm

I love Subway.  Their veggie subs are divine.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 8:44 pm

Jared lives.  Otherwise, corporate media types would have picked a less homely looking guy.

And they're taking the word "gullible" out of the dictionary.

Come to Canada, and have Mr. Sub.  It's a million times better than Subway will ever be

http://halton.701.com/sites/701/IMAGEDIR/page_35998.gif

A million times zero = ?

Written By: Tia on 06/09/06 at 9:00 pm

quiznos is a pretty good alternative. i dont mind subway, exactly, but i used to eat there a lot more often than i do now.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/09/06 at 9:30 pm

quiznos is a pretty good alternative. i dont mind subway, exactly, but i used to eat there a lot more often than i do now.

Yes, Quiznos! I went there fir the first time about 3 days ago, and it was great.

I don't like veggies or comdiments (isn't that sad?), so when I ordered my small turkey and swiss chese sammich, I wasn't expecting my food to ooze with deliciious, delectible goodness. Boy, was I wrong! I normally don't care what bread tastes like, just as long as it's fresh. But lemme tell you, that was the best bread I've ever tasted.

I saw a commercial on the TV about these new salads they have now. I personally hate salads, but the fact that they serve it with a real fork blows my mind.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 10:15 pm

Yes, Quiznos! I went there fir the first time about 3 days ago, and it was great.

I don't like veggies or comdiments (isn't that sad?), so when I ordered my small turkey and swiss chese sammich, I wasn't expecting my food to ooze with deliciious, delectible goodness. Boy, was I wrong! I normally don't care what bread tastes like, just as long as it's fresh. But lemme tell you, that was the best bread I've ever tasted.

I saw a commercial on the TV about these new salads they have now. I personally hate salads, but the fact that they serve it with a real fork blows my mind.

There's a Quizno's down the road from me. I always snubbed it. Now with your endorsement, I might have to try it out!

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/09/06 at 10:33 pm

There's a Quizno's down the road from me. I always snubbed it. Now with your endorsement, I might have to try it out!

LOL I should write for Quizno's ads or something.

Hey! We all have to make a living!

Written By: xtine on 06/09/06 at 11:41 pm

quiznos is alright, although their chicken has gone downhill in the past few months.

if you're near eastern pennsylvania, you can't go wrong with wawa.  i will drive twenty minutes out of my way to get their subs/wraps!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/06 at 12:04 am

I still say the best option is a good mom 'n' pop subshop, though in some areas they might have gone extinct because of the big chains. Now, it can be a bit tricky finding a good mom 'n' pop, 'coz they're not all good. Depending on the health codes of your region, you may even risk botulism!
:o
Inquire locally, get a consensus. Sometimes your local freebie weekly has reader endorsements. For instnace, we have a birdcage-liner up here called "The Valley Advocate." They publish "Best in the Valley" reader polls a couple of times a year, often useful in this regard. Other than that, the "Advocate" is good for Tom Torrow, and Chuck Shepherds "News of the Weird."
::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/06 at 8:00 am

After what happened to RnRF's son Blaine I wonder about the safety procedures at Subway too.  :-\\

Written By: zotsfreak on 06/10/06 at 9:12 am

Great sandwiches at Quiznos, but the start of this thread was prices. In NY State, quiznos in not cheap. Their "Meal" package is a beverage , a small sub, and a bag of chips for 9 bucks. We have alot of independant sub shops that give you monster subs for about 6 or 7 bucks.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/06 at 9:36 pm

Great sandwiches at Quiznos, but the start of this thread was prices. In NY State, quiznos in not cheap. Their "Meal" package is a beverage , a small sub, and a bag of chips for 9 bucks. We have alot of independant sub shops that give you monster subs for about 6 or 7 bucks.

Hence my advocacy of finding local mom 'n' pops by word of mouth!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/10/06 at 10:06 pm

Down here in Georgia, a small Quizno's sub, chips and drink is about 4 or 5 bucks.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 12:14 am

Yeah, as far as fastfood places go, Quiznos around here at least is the more high end place. However what makes Subway successful is that it can go into a lot smaller markets than most other fastfood joints. In a lot of small Illinois towns and villages, Subway is the only or first chain to go in.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/11/06 at 12:17 am

I don't care what you say; I dig the meatball sub. :P 8)

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/11/06 at 1:41 am

Subway isn't nearly as good as they used to be. The meatball sandwich used to be my favorite. Now, they have changed the meatballls and the sauce they use. If I do go there(very rarely), I get that cold cut trio sandwich. Like the guy who started the thread said, they put very little meat on their sandwich for an insane price. There is a small little restaurant here in my town called The Red Steer. They have incredible sandwiches, and they put so much meat on the sandwich it will barely fit in your mouth. Their sandwiches are 2 dollars cheaper than subway, and they have side dishes like clam chowder, chicken soup, mashed potatoes,etc. That was one thing about Subway I never understood: Only having chips as a side dish. Gimme a break.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/11/06 at 2:36 am

I'm going to start a new poll based on this.

And I just have to go to Subway for the Italian BMT.  8) The meatball sandwich is nice too.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 10:54 am

Subway is a bit exxy...that's why I normally stick to the Meatball or Pizza. Probably not the healthiest choices, but they're easiest on the bank balance when you eat Subway up to three times a week.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/11/06 at 11:34 am

:( :( :( NEVER GOING THERE AGAIN..AND YOU CAN  TAKE THAT TO THE BANK JARED!!!
Add in the cost of the bread and all of the "extras" you can get on the sandwich and $3 isn't too bad.  Yes, you can still make it at home for cheaper, but if you're out and about, it's better than paying $3 for a McD's HappyMeal (healthwise).  Personally, I prefer Jimmy John's if I'm going to have a sub, but they're a smaller chain and not as easy to find (though there are now 2 within 10  minutes of my house :P).  You don't get as much choice (I think they only have 8-9 "meats" and only mayo/mustard/lettuce/tomato/maybe ketchup as "toppings") but I LOVE their bread....it's sourdough (with a nice crisp crust) baked fresh daily and you can buy the "day old" loaves 2/$1 ;)

Written By: zcrito on 06/11/06 at 12:26 pm

You're being too critical of Subway.

Sure you can buy a pound of ham, beef or turkey (I do it too sometimes) at a grocery store, but you're then stuck with eating that 3 or 4 times a week until it's gone.

And who goes to Subway and only gets "...a simple roast beef sub and not extras(i.e.: lettuce,onions,peppers).." ? What kind of sandwich is that ? When I go there I have them load up on the extras, and also give me extra amounts of them too. They don't care since it's not the more expensive meats. I'm not a vegetarian but I prefer to eat more veggies with my meals than meat.

If you want a sandwich that has a little more meat on it then you're going to have to pay a little more than $3 for the special.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/06 at 1:28 pm

We ate at Applebee's last night.

As to subs-I agree with people who said that Subway used to be better than it is now. We just had a Subway open in our little town. I was excited because I remember Subway as being really good (it has been years since I've eaten there). We have tried it out twice now and both times I was a bit disappointed.

There is a little local general store not too far from here that I would LOVE to get subs from. They make really good ones. However, I had noticed the last time I was in there, the chick making the sub would NOT use gloves.  :P  So, I don't go there anymore which is a shame because I do love their subs.

I have never tried Quiznos-don't even know where the closest one is.

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/11/06 at 1:37 pm

If you want more meat, you ask for double meat.  They'll put more on.  I've seen people do it all the time. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/06 at 1:48 pm

If you want more meat, you ask for double meat.  They'll put more on.  I've seen people do it all the time. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 3:11 pm

I have never tried Quiznos-don't even know where the closest one is.

Cat

They're generally known for toasting their subs as well as bigger and as well as having more unique choices to chose from.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/06 at 3:29 pm

They're generally known for toasting their subs as well as bigger and as well as having more unique choices to chose from.

The last time I was in Subway, they asked if I wanted my sub toasted.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 06/11/06 at 3:56 pm

We all know Subway sandwiches are thin.How do you think that former fatty in those commercials lost so much weight?They load up more on the veggies.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/11/06 at 5:11 pm

I always figured he lost the weight because eating there once a day he couldn't afford to eat anything else.

Subway is ok, but not my favorite.  When I do eat there I like the meatball sub.

Written By: saver on 06/11/06 at 5:38 pm

I would stick with a grocery store if you could pop into one.buy the rolls(.50) and a 1/2 lbs. ham,around $2.50 and your full.

I loved the old Mr. Hero sub shops in Ohio..not sure if they're still out there.?

I used to love doing the HAVE IT YOUR WAY AT BURGER KING and order the burger with double everything for aound $1.00 hardly could finish it and the extras were healthy!

I am a simple eater too and don't want the main course smothered in sauces and peppers where you can't taste the meat. But I'm from NY and used to picking up something to carry and eat without it spilling everywhere, like a pizza slice..   

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/11/06 at 5:40 pm

The last time I was in Subway, they asked if I wanted my sub toasted.

Cat

Yes they have started asking that here everytime too..sometimes it's nice othertimes it makes the bread too hard and crispy, so I don't get it done anymore

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/06 at 6:44 pm

Yes they have started asking that here everytime too..sometimes it's nice othertimes it makes the bread too hard and crispy, so I don't get it done anymore

Maybe the toasting option helps them sell bread after it's gone a bit stale!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pimpflash.gif

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 7:55 pm

lol...yeah, a well toasted bread roll would sort of mask any staleness.

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/11/06 at 8:09 pm

They have to pay for the food themselves, and they have to earn money on the side.

... And I got a THICK 12" sandwich for $5.09... I guess it just depends which one you go to.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/11/06 at 8:14 pm

They have to pay for the food themselves, and they have to earn money on the side.

... And I got a THICK 12" sandwich for $5.09... I guess it just depends which one you go to.

My 12'' sandwiches usually run about that much as well. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/11/06 at 8:23 pm

The footlong meatball sub here is AU $6.45 without an extras - by far the cheapest. While the Chicken Fillet tops the list at $8.25 (I remember a time when the Chicken Fillet was under $7).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/06 at 12:25 am

lol...yeah, a well toasted bread roll would sort of mask any staleness.

I do it at home. If I have a loaf of bread that's turned slightly, I'll toast a couple of slices and they're just fine. You know, as long as there's no mold, at least no mold you can detect...
:P
I've heard the origin of "toast" for breakfast is a way to use up yesterday's bread...might be bunk, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/12/06 at 11:38 am

I do it at home. If I have a loaf of bread that's turned slightly, I'll toast a couple of slices and they're just fine. You know, as long as there's no mold, at least no mold you can detect...
:P
I've heard the origin of "toast" for breakfast is a way to use up yesterday's bread...might be bunk, though.

You can also "nuke" stale bread for 10-20 seconds to soften it up-but you have to eat it right away because it will go stale again VERY quickly.

Cat

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/12/06 at 3:45 pm

Hey I'd not thought of that  :D

loving that little hippy faced icon

Check for new replies or respond here...